4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-15-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
'04 WJ 42RE Transimission Question

I've owned four different WJs, all with the 4.0L i6/42RE Combo. Three with the 242 T-case.

The one I have the question about is our '04 Special Edition with the 247 Quadra-Trac II. It has just over 90K on it. It runs and shifts perfectly most of the time. However, when stopped at a red light while the Jeep is on an upward incline, sometimes Drive disengages and the Jeep won't move unless we rev the gas a little by flexing the pedal, or you pull it into Neutral then back into Drive. When we do that it immediately engages as though it's been fired from a slingshot.

This slippage ONLY occurs when stopped on an incline. Other than that, it drives and shifts perfectly up and down the hills of Western Pa.

Thanks for any help.

2004 Special Edition WJ. LOADED!
2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-15-2019, 06:23 PM
aldryst
2004 WJ 

Garage
Don't know much about transmissions, but could that be something to do with the torque converter?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 Old 12-15-2019, 09:36 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Since it only happens on an incline, perhaps the transmission fluid level is low?
aldryst likes this.

post #4 of 16 Old 12-15-2019, 10:17 PM
Indywood

2004 WJ 

check your throttle valve cable adjustment, the slightest bit of adjustment can make a world of difference
aldryst likes this.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-15-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal2004wj View Post
Since it only happens on an incline, perhaps the transmission fluid level is low?
That's going to be our first approach. The seller said it had tranny slip problems in 1st gear. I didn't believe he was onto the real problem after my initial test drive. He also said the shifting problems went away after he added some Lucas additive to the transmission.

I've never known Lucas additive to be a sure fire problem solver in any mechanical case, but, it must be for some vehicle owners.

My other '04 42RE with 219K runs, drives, and shifts, AND operates perfectly under normal Cruise Control conditions. It's flawless. And as far as I know, has never had an additive treatment of any kind.

2004 Rocky Mountain Edition. Froggy Bandit. Wife's Daily Driver. PRISTINE! Stock height and may stay that way.....
post #6 of 16 Old 12-16-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
We just checked the level of fluid. My wife put it in Neutral with her foot on the brake at full operating temperature.

The level showed completely full of nice looking transmission fluid. There were bubbles on the stick for all three dips, so I don't know what that means.

post #7 of 16 Old 12-16-2019, 04:29 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The mention of previous seller mentioning trans slipping has me thinking -
How long have you had this jeep?
Try and scan for codes - too easy to ignore.
Might want to drop trans pan - replace filter and refill with ATF+4.

It is a NV 247 and they take the special $$ fluid*, I would suggest you service the T'case drain and refill - The jeep is new to you and PO may have used wrong fluids - not the first time this was done by accident or someone just getting cheap.

* - Mopar Transfer Case Lubricant (P/N 05016796) is the only lubricant recommended for the NV247 transfer case.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-16-2019, 11:53 PM
SoCal2004wj

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
The mention of previous seller mentioning trans slipping has me thinking -
How long have you had this jeep?
Try and scan for codes - too easy to ignore.
Might want to drop trans pan - replace filter and refill with ATF+4.
Scanning for codes is a good idea . Dropping the pan and refilling with ATF+4 wouldn't hurt either. While you have the pan dropped, might as well replace the filters. There are two kits for the 545RFE, 2WD and 4WD (which has a deeper pan). I changed the fluid shortly after buying to be on the safe side. Fortunately, the previous owner had the fluid and filter changed at the dealer since the filter parts had Mopar manufacture dates on them!
post #9 of 16 Old 12-17-2019, 12:23 AM
rep-tile
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

The 42RE requires band adjustment which should be done periodically anyway. You may also want to try adjusting the gear shift cable; could be mispositioned somewhere between neutral and drive.

I would be concerned about the crappy additive in the transmission fluid. I'd flush it all out.
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #10 of 16 Old 12-17-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
The seller claims to have put a new filter and ATF+4 in it. I believe him. The fluid looks nice and new.

Here's another weird symptom. It won't pull hills in Cruise Control. As we're going across I-80, I'll set it at 70mph and it will cruise just fine until a long upward gradual slope. It won't kick down to stay at speed, the speed just drops down until we crest the rise, then it will pull back up to 70mph once we're on flat or descending plain.

post #11 of 16 Old 12-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Indywood

2004 WJ 

mine did that too, wound up putting a few hundred in modifications: Sonnax Sure Cure Kit, governor bore plugs, #2 accumulator, all new solenoids and harness, Dorman pan with drain plug, Lubelocker gasket, re-adjusted the bands, and played with the throttle valve a bit. Finally got it working like any other transmission I've had, the addition of a Borg Warner improved governor pressure solenoid made as much difference as the rest of it combined
post #12 of 16 Old 01-22-2020, 09:05 PM
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

I had a problem similar but not exactly. It took a $75 repair at the dealer...neutral safety switch.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-23-2020, 06:33 PM
Indywood

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyjm View Post
The seller claims to have put a new filter and ATF+4 in it. I believe him. The fluid looks nice and new.

Here's another weird symptom. It won't pull hills in Cruise Control. As we're going across I-80, I'll set it at 70mph and it will cruise just fine until a long upward gradual slope. It won't kick down to stay at speed, the speed just drops down until we crest the rise, then it will pull back up to 70mph once we're on flat or descending plain.
I'd say this is definitely the throttle valve, mine was acting similar to this after the transmission was swapped out- idiots never adjusted the TV cable, was 1/2" off from where it should be! Disconnect the throttle valve cable from the throttle lever by sliding it to the right and pulling away from the throttle body, it has a T slot that slips onto the end of the throttle lever. Sitting disconnected, the black plastic clip should be right in line with the pin that it connects to (I believe the spec is within 1mm). If I'm correct, the clip will be to the left of the pin and needs adjusted. CAREFULLY pry up on the white clip on the top of the adjuster with a small screwdriver, this will free it for adjustment. Grab the cable itself on the left side of the adjuster and push it in until the connector clip is inline with the pin. WHILE STILL HOLDING THE CABLE, push the white clip back down to set the adjustment, re-connect the clip to the throttle lever, take it for a drive and let us know how it does
wjkeith and Bigrigr like this.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Mattyjm
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indywood View Post
I'd say this is definitely the throttle valve, mine was acting similar to this after the transmission was swapped out- idiots never adjusted the TV cable, was 1/2" off from where it should be! Disconnect the throttle valve cable from the throttle lever by sliding it to the right and pulling away from the throttle body, it has a T slot that slips onto the end of the throttle lever. Sitting disconnected, the black plastic clip should be right in line with the pin that it connects to (I believe the spec is within 1mm). If I'm correct, the clip will be to the left of the pin and needs adjusted. CAREFULLY pry up on the white clip on the top of the adjuster with a small screwdriver, this will free it for adjustment. Grab the cable itself on the left side of the adjuster and push it in until the connector clip is inline with the pin. WHILE STILL HOLDING THE CABLE, push the white clip back down to set the adjustment, re-connect the clip to the throttle lever, take it for a drive and let us know how it does
I'll give this a try ASAP and thank you for sharing information. The transmission performs perfectly other than these two small issues, that's why I'd agree that it's probably not a major repair.

post #15 of 16 Old 01-26-2020, 03:53 AM
Swiff
2000 WJ 

Garage
I would change the valve body solenoids , governor pressure sensor and transducer. Also the common broken accumulator spring should be changed while you are in there even if it is not broken yet. Full transmission rebuild

Derek
2k WJ Laredo - 4.0L - 42RE - Select-Trac 242 - 3.55 -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in