04 Jeep WJ cv axle not long enough to fit in spider gears of differential. - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

04 Jeep WJ cv axle not long enough to fit in spider gears of differential.

I posted about a week ago about my 4wd not engaging in the front. After going to a pick n pull yard I figured out my problem. I pulled the diff cover on same year model of my Jeep and noticed I can see the cv axle coming through the spider gears of the differential. When looking at my differential all you see is the spot for the axle to slide into. “I’ll link pictures at the bottom”. Where things get really confusing is I pulled a cv axle from the pull yard and after getting home both the one from the yard and the one currently in my Jeep are the exact same length.. I went back to the pull yard today and took 2 more off other jeeps with different transfer cases. Same thing, they’re the exact same length yet they both go completely into the differential of the Jeep I pulled them from. The one in my Jeep while the same length of the other axles still comes up an inch short when slid into the diff.

When I bought the Jeep the 4wd never worked so I don’t know if the axle has been replaced or not. Visually my axle and diff look the same as the ones at the yard. So now I’m wondering if it’s possible that the front axle has been swapped with one from a Jeep Wrangler or something. And that wrangler axles have a 1 inch longer cv axle than the WJs? Or possibly another type of Jeep? I’m completely stumped at this point so came here in hopes of getting this figured out. Any help would be super da1ae995-db4b-4d1c-b46c-5b3a9fb367ea_1574291396512.jpg4a2d133a-9368-45a6-9905-a1704282814f_1574291340060.jpgappreciated.

The first picture is one of the jeeps at the pull yard you can see the cv axle coming all the way through. The next 2 pictures are of my Jeep you can see where the cv axles isn’t coming all the way through so that’s why my 4wd is working properly.

Attached Thumbnails
166D3B17-A9F0-40C0-B9D9-E2055E173EB6_1574291364460.jpg   C0BA0408-3A77-4A02-9211-182EB9A8117B_1574291449614.jpg   6C4C7DB4-F651-4D3C-855C-971F66C99A2D_1574291486679.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 05:36 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

The axles are different lengths for Varilok and non-Varilok differentials. Your axles must of been swapped with the wrong ones.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oktavius View Post
The axles are different lengths for Varilok and non-Varilok differentials. Your axles must of been swapped with the wrong ones.
Oh I see. Do you know which ones are longer? And how to identify a Jeep with the varilock or non-varilock? The cv axles I pulled at the pull yard had the selec trac tcase which is what I have in my Jeep.

post #4 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
I see what you’re talking about now on the oreilys website. The varilock is exactly an inch longer which is what I need. But mine is selec trac and on the website it says non varilock - selec trac..the shorter ones. Would it be bad to buy the longer ones? I guess one of the previous owners swapped for the 242 tcase and changed the control in the cabin?
Attached Thumbnails
A9F23B68-3983-4442-AEE5-3DD0B3557BD7_1574296660449.jpg   754F2BFA-FDD1-4012-BF08-02CABB7CA8DC_1574296674674.jpg  
post #5 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 07:09 PM
99wjtx

2001 WJ 

If your Jeep says "Quadradrive" on the back, it needs Vari-lok CV axles (unless someone swapped differential assemblies at some point).

Rage! Rage against the dying of the Jeep.

99 WJ Limited 4.7/NP242
01 WJ Laredo 4.7/NP242
post #6 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99wjtx View Post
If your Jeep says "Quadradrive" on the back, it needs Vari-lok CV axles (unless someone swapped differential assemblies at some point).
Strange. Mine is the selec trac. I guess something had to have been swapped out before because I’m definitely an inch short on the selec trac axles.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 10:32 PM
sparky636

2001 WJ 

Garage
Is the picture on the bottom your differential? That looks like a variloc, it has the tab on the left side for the pump. At least that's how my variloc looked when I replaced it with an ARB. The one above it looks open to me.

Got enough posts to vote for WJ of the Month.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-20-2019, 11:03 PM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adubpacker View Post
I see what you’re talking about now on the oreilys website. The varilock is exactly an inch longer which is what I need. But mine is selec trac and on the website it says non varilock - selec trac..the shorter ones. Would it be bad to buy the longer ones? I guess one of the previous owners swapped for the 242 tcase and changed the control in the cabin?
My guess would be they did a transfer case swap from the quadra-trac/quadra-drive unit to the selec-trac unit but kept the vari-lock axles, great idea, but would certainly cause some confusion...so the axles shafts got replaced at some point maybe the previous owner thought the 4WD wasn't working and replaced the axle shafts with the wrong ones, and turned out that the transfer case was the problem and they swapped the case but never replaced the axles? Who knows hard to say, but definitely needs the right axles if you want the 4WD to work...

I'd really love to know how that Jeep would do with vari-lock front and rear axles with the selec-trac 4WD. I have a regular limited slip rear differential in my 98 ZJ with selec-trac and it'll go sideways on you in full time 4WD mode if you aren't careful LOL. Love the added traction though, just caught me off guard first time it happened. When I bought it I had no idea it had a limited slip differential in it as it wasn't listed anywhere in the ad description...oh well, turns out my ZJ wasn't just a Laredo either its the SE model, so I got 2 bonuses...finally downloaded my build sheet because I was getting confused after a few days of owning it LOL.
post #9 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky636 View Post
Is the picture on the bottom your differential? That looks like a variloc, it has the tab on the left side for the pump. At least that's how my variloc looked when I replaced it with an ARB. The one above it looks open to me.
Yep bottom picture is mine. Tab for the pump? Pump for what. What does that mean? I don’t see what you’re looking at they both look the same to me lol
post #10 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

My guess would be they did a transfer case swap from the quadra-trac/quadra-drive unit to the selec-trac unit but kept the vari-lock axles, great idea, but would certainly cause some confusion...so the axles shafts got replaced at some point maybe the previous owner thought the 4WD wasn't working and replaced the axle shafts with the wrong ones, and turned out that the transfer case was the problem and they swapped the case but never replaced the axles? Who knows hard to say, but definitely needs the right axles if you want the 4WD to work...

I'd really love to know how that Jeep would do with vari-lock front and rear axles with the selec-trac 4WD. I have a regular limited slip rear differential in my 98 ZJ with selec-trac and it'll go sideways on you in full time 4WD mode if you aren't careful LOL. Love the added traction though, just caught me off guard first time it happened. When I bought it I had no idea it had a limited slip differential in it as it wasn't listed anywhere in the ad description...oh well, turns out my ZJ wasn't just a Laredo either its the SE model, so I got 2 bonuses...finally downloaded my build sheet because I was getting confused after a few days of owning it LOL.[/QUOTE]

Exactly who knows lol. Well I’ll be ecstatic when I just get my 4wd working. It hasn’t worked since I bought it a year ago.. I’ll keep this updated when I get it working. I get confused and havent read much on how all these different differentials and stuff work. You think having the selec trac with vari lock would make a big difference to non varilock selec trac? If it makes it even better that’d be awesome lol
post #11 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill23c View Post
Quote:

I'd really love to know how that Jeep would do with vari-lock front and rear axles with the selec-trac 4WD. I have a regular limited slip rear differential in my 98 ZJ with selec-trac and it'll go sideways on you in full time 4WD mode if you aren't careful LOL. Love the added traction though, just caught me off guard first time it happened. When I bought it I had no idea it had a limited slip differential in it as it wasn't listed anywhere in the ad description...oh well, turns out my ZJ wasn't just a Laredo either its the SE model, so I got 2 bonuses...finally downloaded my build sheet because I was getting confused after a few days of owning it LOL.
Also, I just looked at the vari lock diff assemblies online and somehow that’s what I have in mine like you said. Does this mean both the front and rear diffs need LSD additive now?
post #12 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 AM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Also, I just looked at the vari lock diff assemblies online and somehow that’s what I have in mine like you said. Does this mean both the front and rear diffs need LSD additive now?
I believe they need the additive someone else with far more knowledge about these things would be able to 100% verify, but to my understanding the limited slip and vari-lock axles do require the limited slip additive...so you'd need that additive in both differentials.

Not a bad thing to have limited slip differentials front and rear I just wonder how it will handle with the full time mode in the selec-trac transfer case?
post #13 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 10:32 AM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

While it is a possibility that someone swapped from QuadraDrive to SelecTrac, it is also possible it was SelecTrac from the factory and someone swapped the front axle from non-VariLok to a VariLok axle. If they swapped the front axle, there is no guarantee that the rear is VariLok so would be a good idea to verify what rear axle you have.

The VariLok does require limit slip additive to keep them quite under operation. Most gear oil now comes with some sort of limited slip additive already added. I prefer to get gear oil without limited slip additive and add the Mopar spec additive.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
adubpacker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
While it is a possibility that someone swapped from QuadraDrive to SelecTrac, it is also possible it was SelecTrac from the factory and someone swapped the front axle from non-VariLok to a VariLok axle. If they swapped the front axle, there is no guarantee that the rear is VariLok so would be a good idea to verify what rear axle you have.

The VariLok does require limit slip additive to keep them quite under operation. Most gear oil now comes with some sort of limited slip additive already added. I prefer to get gear oil without limited slip additive and add the Mopar spec additive.
What happens if the rear isn’t varilock?
post #15 of 16 Old 11-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Oktavius
2004 WJ 

Quote:
What happens if the rear isn’t varilock?
Nothing really. The VariLok diffs work on their own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in