5Likes
  • 4 Post By 1996maroonzjf
  • 1 Post By Bigrigr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
temporaryspock
2004 WJ 

04 FT 4WD question

Firstly how is the best way to change from 4wd to rear drive only?
and when I have changed in the past the sterring got really tight and made a crack noise until it seemed to return back into regular wheel drive from 4wd

So I have keopt it in 4wd now for 6 months bc it was too painful to hear the cracking noise.

Is it bad to keep it in 4wd all the time?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2020, 06:35 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

That depends on your transfercase. Can I assume you have the NP242 Selec-Trac?

04 WJ NV242, IRO 3in, bilsteins, IRO adj UCAs/LCAs/A arm, 265/75/16 Laufenn Xfit, 4.56 gears
post #3 of 9 Old 05-15-2020, 08:15 PM
1996maroonzjf

1996 ZJ 

Garage
Sounds like it’s stuck in part time. When that happens, drive in reverse in a straight line and move the shifter out of and back into 2WD and it will click back into 2WD.

I don’t own a WJ, but I have been driving Selec-Trac equipt ZJ for over a decade, and I have learned a few things along the way about how to operate them. I also have completely rebuilt and repaired several cases.

Breakdown of the modes:

2WD - Rear Wheel Drive - Can be used on any surface any time.

4WD Part-Time - Only to be used on low traction surfaces such as dirt / gravel or snow / ice. Do not use on dry pavement. This can destroy the case. Its locked to split power 50:50 between front and rear axles.

4WD Full-Time - Can be used on any surface full time if desired, hence the name. You can use it on dry pavement to mud or snow, but will send 100% of power to either the front or rear axle in very low traction situations.

4WD Part-Time Lo - Only to be used on low traction surfaces such as dirt / gravel or snow / ice. Same as Part-Time but with a 2.72:1 gear reduction. Do not use on dry pavement. This can destroy the case. Its locked to split power 50:50 between front and rear axles.

If you look at the shifter bezel, you will notice that 2WD and 4WD Full-Time are both green meaning they are safe to use anywhere. 4WD Part-Time and 4Lo are both yellow meaning use with caution.

The 242 transfer case (selec-trac transfer case) is considered a shift on the fly case and can be shifted between 2WD, 4WD Part-Time, and 4WD Full-Time at any speed up to 55 mph. You can shift to neutral if you like, but it is not necessary.

For these three modes, the shifter needs to be swiftly and firmly shifted into the desired mode. After the shifter is in place, I usually will punch the gas hard once or twice with my hand on the shifter to feel the case “click” into the selected mode. This helps unbind the case and there is a very positive and perceptible feeling when it engages or disengages to 2WD. Also if stopped, shifting between reverse and drive sometime helps it engage.

I have also found that tire size differences or even just differences in inflation between wheels, like one low tire, make engaging 4WD or getting back into 2WD difficult and often get stuck in 4WD Part-Time when shifting from 4WD Full-Time to 2WD. When it’s stuck, what has never failed me, but probably has made a lot of people raise their eyebrow is...driving in reverse in a straight line at 5-10 mph and shifting back to 4WD Full Time then back to 2WD. There is always a satisfying click felt through the shifter when 2WD engages. Do this in a parking lot or somewhere you have 15-25 feet clear behind you.

4Lo is to be shifted into while in neutral going between 3-5 mph. Some very minor grinding is normal for less than a second. Loud or extended grinding is not. 4Lo is locked like Part-Time but with the 2.72:1 gear reduction it raises the RPM at a given speed and isn’t practical over 35ish mph. You would redline the engine in overdrive at something like 50mph. It gives you extra power at low speed for off road driving or works like engine braking driving down hill. I’ve driven down very steep mountain pass trails with the transmission in 1st and in 4Lo with out touching the brakes. It’s a strange feeling.

Here is a video breaking down the modes -

-Tim
(2) '96 4.0s
#1-'10-'18
#2- HP30/Ford 8.8 - 4.56, OME HDs, 5100's, IRO Adj Arms/Track Bars

post #4 of 9 Old 06-01-2020, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
temporaryspock
2004 WJ 

Yes selec trac
post #5 of 9 Old 06-01-2020, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
temporaryspock
2004 WJ 

Wow thanks. I will review

Since I drive different trucks at work they tell me various ways to shift and NONE are the same, they have told me pickups trucks CANNOT be driven fulltime in 4WD or they will be damaged, i said OH? bc I drive my grand cherokee in 4wd all time, they said "its different"
post #6 of 9 Old 06-01-2020, 10:20 PM
Bigrigr

2000 WJ 

Garage
If you have your select-trac in fulltime 4wd, it should be ok. If you have it in Part time 4wd it is not ok. There is a big difference between the two. Your transfer case is designed to be run in 4wd fulltime on any road surface, but to be clear, the position is the 4wd position next to neutral, NOT the position next to 2WD at the top.
Klarah523 likes this.

'00LMTD-4.7l,242hd,D30,D44A,3.73's,True-trac front,Spartan rear,4" short arm lift,JK'sW/32's
post #7 of 9 Old 06-17-2020, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
temporaryspock
2004 WJ 

Awesome help!!! best forum EVER!!!!
post #8 of 9 Old 06-27-2020, 05:54 AM
fmradio516

Hm how do I know which transfer case I have? 04 GC 4.0 Special Edition

Im probably wrong, and need to check but I dont think my shifter has any 2WD options. Just 4WD options and a Neutral. Is that possible?? Ive never used it in the few years ive owned the jeep mainly because ive never needed to but also because im not sure what the exact process is to properly do it without messing anything up.

Is it ok to never use the part-time and other options? or should it be used every once in a while to get the blood flowing?

Edit: I watched some videos and learned of the different transfer cases.

2004 Grand Cherokee Limited that I dont know much about :)
post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2020, 10:29 PM
coldspit47
2004 WJ 

You'll want to use it sometimes, even if it's just to shift through the gears and drive straight ahead and straight back. They can get gummy from disuse.

04 WJ NV242, IRO 3in, bilsteins, IRO adj UCAs/LCAs/A arm, 265/75/16 Laufenn Xfit, 4.56 gears

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in