03 WJ died backing out of a parking space - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
deoxys987
2017 WK 

03 WJ died backing out of a parking space

Hey all, had something interesting happen today. I was leaving a restaurant after getting dinner, and everything seemed normal, the engine fired right up as it always does, and I backed out of my space, put it in drive, and the car shuddered and died completely. I had thought maybe the trans gave out, since it lost power going into gear, then I looked at the tachometer and saw that the engine shut off (which would explain why I lost my steering and brakes, and power.) Sometimes my WJ will "jump" into gear after going from reverse to drive, but has never acted up like this. After I put it back into park it fired right up and I drove it home without any issue or malfunction lights on the dash. A couple of friends mentioned a couple of things they thought it could be. Anybody have any other ideas on what it could be? One friend suggested it could either be the mass airflow sensor, idle air control, or throttle position sensor and mentioned if one went out I'd get a crank/no start and then a CEL with a code pointing to which sensor. I'm going to wait and see if it does it again, with my luck I'll take it to my friend's shop and they'd find no issue. Some other info: I religiously maintain my WJ, oil changes on time/slightly before and keep everything up to date and don't drive it hard, and it doesn't have a ton of miles on it either (76K). Any input is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-23-2019, 08:28 AM
jtec
2014 JK Wrangler 

thoughts-

I would use a SCANNER to check for any issues, A SCAN is free at many part stores.

A code does NOT indicate a part needs changing, tell technician where to look what system or component.

Do not take or spend money based on your friends GUESSES.

tell us is jeep STOCK [ powertrain

GTG

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-23-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
deoxys987
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
thoughts-

I would use a SCANNER to check for any issues, A SCAN is free at many part stores.

A code does NOT indicate a part needs changing, tell technician where to look what system or component.

GTG

post #4 of 6 Old 02-23-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
deoxys987
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
thoughts-

GTG
Jeep is stock on power train, with the exception of new shocks and a new transmission pump seal that was done a while back. It's not throwing any current codes and the local auto auto stores can't see with the scanner they have if there's any stored codes. Interestingly enough it drove just fine today without hiccup. I may wait for my friends parents to get back from their trip since they have one of the more advanced odb computers. I'll monitor it in the meantime
post #5 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 10:16 AM
Shadow_otw
2004 WJ 

Definitely check your IAC, as they can get stick and could create this issue. But one thing to consider is to check your crank position sensor. It starts its count on the #1 cyl. If you connect a good scan tool into your obd2 port and look, I'll bet you see a misfire count on cyl. one, and a different waveform. It will not set a code, and can be intermittent. If you can, visually inspect your plugs, as copper Champions have a limited lifespan.

Where am I , and why am I in this hand basket?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 AM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

? shift to park to start??, just bump to neut and start in an instant. while rolling.

my former wife would goto park on a highway,TERRIFIED ME!!! semi's approaching...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in