02 WJ drive train identification - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
CB67jeep

2002 WJ 

02 WJ drive train identification

So I sold my son my TJ and part of the cost was his 02 WJ which had been in an accident with slight front-end damage. I am building it up (cause I can't seem to leave any jeep alone) and am trying to identify and get opinions on the drive train for the build. I pulled the build sheet and it says it is a 4.7 with Quadra drive II(247), front D30/ rear D44A with Vari-Lok front and rear. But the selector in the car says selec-trak (242 WJ)? The front shaft is a double carden and I thought quadra drive was the zeppa shaft.

Question 1 is it possible the build sheet is wrong everything looks like it was that way from the factory?
Question 2 what t case do I have and is it the 242 HD since it is behind the v8 the tag says 242 WJ? Is it the same?
Question 3 opinions on selec-trak versus quadra drive at this time I can swap it back out if the 247 is a better case
Question 4 how do I tell if the axles have vari-lok without opening them up? I don't want to drain them yet if they are vari-lok because I don't have the additive to fill them back up
Question 5 what is the maintenance for said vari-lok axles?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 08:02 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
If it is a V8 and has a 242 it is an HD. Some tags say HD, some say WJ, some say J, mine says J. Quadra Drive has all the Vari lok axles, Select trac will not though it is possible to have a Vari Lok rear axle with Select Trac if the rear LSD option was checked off, will not have a front Vari Lok however. It sounds like someone put the 242 in a Quadra Drive, replaced the shifter and rear shaft. That is what many have done, with all factory parts one could not tell. With one wheel in the air and the other on the ground on an axle turn the wheel in the air. If it is a Vari Lok it will become hard to turn pretty quick, I can get maybe one revolution before it starts binding up in the diff, they work by different shaft speeds which actuate a small pump built in the diff, the pressure built up pushes the clutch plates in the diff together. A standard axle will allow the wheel to turn freely.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag
post #3 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 11:02 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Tags on the 242 can read many different letters -- J, WJ, HD -- you can identify the HD model by the long tailcone for the rear DS.

I like 242 myself, and seems most people here are always looking to switch to the 242 so you should feel good about having that TC, I think.

Something caught my attention though ... You said "Quadradrive II". I think QD2 was not available on the 2002, or any other model year WJ, but Quadratrac II was an option, as was Quadradrive. QT2 and QD are not the same but they do share the same 247 transfer case. QD has LSD front and rear, QT2 has neither LSD (but rear LSD was an option). Either way, the build sheet says your WJ left the factory with a 247 and you know you have a 242 so it is pretty clear somebody did some swapping along the way.

Double cardan front DS sounds fairly common for a 4x4 WJ matched with a 4.7, basically a guarantee if it also had the Up Country springs. But it's really moot isn't it, since you already have the DC and that is the best DS for your Jeep.

Sounds like you have a great base to build on. What are you going to do to it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 11:23 AM
GmanWJ
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Oh and factory interval on the variloks is only 12,000 miles.

2.5" OME HD & Bilsteins
Dual Batteries
Aux Trailer Hookups (4awg charging & backup cam)

post #5 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
CB67jeep

2002 WJ 

Thanks for the help, I will put the axle in the air and see if it still has the VariLok in them. The TC has a short shaft so it must be the LD version I read all HD versions of the 242 have the long tail cone. Sounds like you are both right and the PO did some swapping around but I may have come out on the good end for a change LOL.

I have an IRO 6.5 on the way with frame stiffeners and Bilstein shocks so once that has happened I will decide on tire size. I will keep the axles I had a D30 on my TJ and with the proper additions, it runs 37" tires all day long and wheels and drives. I don't want to build any more trailer queens LOL
post #6 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 11:51 AM
cDee63
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
That makes it interesting, a LD 242 will not bolt to a V8 drivetrain, namely a 242 from a 4.0 is not an HD and will not bolt to the 545RFE trans the V8's have, it is a different input shaft.

2004 Limited, 4.7 modded slightly, IRO 3" RockLink LA front, adjustable SA rear, Bilsteins, Addco bar, JKS disconnects. Coming attractions include 242hd, IRO SYE and Woods DS right after the new engine/trans..
1974 Ironhead Sportster, total custom
High speed, low drag

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in