02 sensors - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 07-04-2020, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

02 sensors

2001 WJ 4.0 before anyone says which codes I'm not getting any,but the 02 sensors- any what range should they be replaced? I don't want someone to say- replace when your check engine light come on. I have 131,000 miles and based on the previous owners lack of maintenance they did on the Jeep,I'm thinking they were never replaced. They might be factory installed. So what range?-I know these things don't last forever.

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-04-2020, 09:12 PM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

I'm not sure about the life expectancy of an O2 sensor, but I know they can cause issues without setting a code. I've heard 100K, maybe someone will chime in soon with more info.

I replaced mine right after I got it. Had 225K miles, no proof they had been changed. Mileage improved and she ran much better.

Only buy Mopar sensors. @Kolak can hook you up if you need to replace them.
Kolak likes this.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #3 of 25 Old 07-04-2020, 09:14 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

`o2 sensors are messengers, you do not replace them just because you see a code - You overheat you dont change the temp sensor.

How is your jeep running?
You would be in the ball park as 100k is a good live expectancy. Others will say 150k just a professional judgement call, but 20yrs seams enough.

You will want to use NTK sensors.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 25 Old 07-05-2020, 12:03 AM
speednjay

I’ve always been told to replace them every 60k miles. I’ve had them go bad and not trip a code ( typically the downstream sensor) and usually you’ll get very very very bad gas mileage. Keep the o2 sensors fresh because they can destroy a catalytic converter
post #5 of 25 Old 07-05-2020, 06:24 AM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
I see lots of high mile Jeeps with 150K plus on the original sensors still running with no codes or stored pre-code history but they generally run and perform poorly.

Changing them generally yields some positive results with noticeably better performance.

Use Denso or NTK when replacing them, try and avoid Bosch on the older models that run a pci bus communication line such as the WJ they don't play well with the pcm.
DJCantonGA and Ivcherokee2001 like this.
post #6 of 25 Old 07-05-2020, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yes my mileage is not what it was (16.5+) last summer. Currently getting 15.5 at best. I don't run A/C and this vehicle is maintained regularly. Will get some sensors this week.

post #7 of 25 Old 07-05-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

So looking at auto parts stores for the NTK sensors,I need 2 correct? I have the 02 socket so I might do this myself. Easy job with the right tools? yes or no?

post #8 of 25 Old 07-05-2020, 07:55 PM
anotherheep

I've never had much luck using a socket on removing them. I spray/soak them with pbBlaster for a couple days and then put a pipe wrench on them beating the handle of the wrench with a hammer going between loosening and tightening until it breaks free. If you have a torch to heat the bung up, even better (just dont burn stuff lol). I haven't done one on a jeep, so I cant say for sure how well getting a pipe wrench up in there works.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-05-2020, 08:02 PM
anotherheep

^
This is a later resort of course, I would try the socket first. You might now have rust issues like I deal with.
post #10 of 25 Old 07-06-2020, 07:21 AM
jtpeters
2004 WJ 

Garage
Advance Auto has a great 02 Sensor Removal loaner kit which makes this job a breeze.
The sockets (a variety of 3) are extremely heavy duty and will not open up (e.g. spread) not matter how tight the 02 sensor.
I just went ahead and purchased it and use it for other applications as well.
Highly recommended.

2004 Jeep Overland WJ 4.7 H.O. (Bought new in Oct 2003)
2014 Jeep Overland WK2 5.7 Hemi (Bought used in 2016 w/7k miles)
1970 Ford Mustang Boss 302 (in Family since 1974)
2013 Ford Mustang Boss 302
2011 BMW 328i
post #11 of 25 Old 07-06-2020, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have a heavy duty 02 sensor socket that is 3/8" and looks almost like an impact socket.

post #12 of 25 Old 07-06-2020, 08:04 AM
DJCantonGA

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
So looking at auto parts stores for the NTK sensors,I need 2 correct? I have the 02 socket so I might do this myself. Easy job with the right tools? yes or no?
I have CA emissions on my '04, so I have 4 (2 upstream, 2 downstream).

Pretty easy job. The upstream sensors require a some reaching, but nothing too difficult. I bought the sensor socket from Harbor Freight.

Look up the NTK sensors on Amazon and compare prices.

2004 WJ-4.0 I6-42RE-278K-2.5" BB-265/65/17 Toyo Open Country 2 AT-Quadratec Hardrock Wheels
post #13 of 25 Old 07-06-2020, 01:19 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

While my 04 4.7 has Federal & 50 state emissions it still has 2 upstream and 2 downstream oxygen sensors.

The sticker under my hood says Federal as well as the info/sales codes on my build sheet as seen below.

NAS 50 State Emissions
NBGP Federal Tier 2, Bin 9A Emissions

On all our other present/past Jeeps (all 4.0) I used NTK o2 sensors with same part numbers as the OE sensors.

But when I bought my 04 4.7 WJ 8 years ago it had Denso o2 sensors in it so that's what I replaced them with. About half the price as NTK and I always heard some of the OE brands were Denso or NTK.

I always have had problems with the smell of non-burnt fuel on start up but don't think this has to do with the Denso o2 sensors. Could be leaking injectors or something like that and I have new Mopar TPS and IAC sensors. My mpg average is 18 so the o2 sensors must be working have descent.

On the deep-well 6-pt oxygen sensor socket I have the first thing I had to do was file down the sharp edges on the wire slot edges so it doesn't cut wires. But I still don't like to use it to install new o2 sensors.

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 25 Old 07-07-2020, 06:49 AM
Waterluvr

2004 WJ 

Garage
All the pcm software 2001 and newer are flashed for 2 up and 2 down regardless of emissions classification, prior years that weren't California models ran 1 up and 1 down.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-07-2020, 01:29 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Interesting Waterluvr and thanks for the info.

The below info for oxygen sensors and exhausts from wjjeeps is incorrect for my Fed emissions 04 4.7. As already mentioned I have 2 upstream and 2 downstream oxygen sensors when it isn't CA emissions. Those 4 o2 sensors are before/after each small cat (2) under the engine and they're showing those small cats only for CA emissions.

http://wjjeeps.com/oxygen.htm

Plus my OE exhaust never had a cat in front of the muffler as shown in the below diagram for Fed emissions and there was just a large muffler.

I believe wjjeeps gets a lot of their info/diagrams from the FSM and official parts manuals. Jeep/Chrysler never was big on keeping their FSM's updated from year-to-year and most often just used the same info as the previous years.

The below diagram from wjjeeps is the exact same one in my 04 FSM (p.14-40) which wasn't ever updated showing 2 small cats on the Federal emissions 4.7. Oh well, what you physically see is what you get!

BTW, the torque spec for oxygen sensors is 22 ft.lbs in case anybody can squeeze a torque wrench up in there. I just tighten them until they feel right and use the copper non-seize on the threads if it comes with them.

Below is the diagram mentioned before from wjjeeps and from the 04 FSM (p.14-40) which isn't correct for my Fed emissions 04 4.7. Since xjpete who started this thread has the 01 4.0 I might as well throw in the image for oxygen sensor locations on the 4.0 too.
Attached Thumbnails
oxygen_47.jpg  
Attached Images

2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 ZJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in