02 4.7 w selectrac - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

02 4.7 w selectrac

i had given up on finding a WJ 4.7 with selectrac, been looking for years and then one showed up locally for sale.
link: https://cars.ksl.com/listing/6545783?ad_cid=2

i had an 04 WJ with 4.0 L and regret selling it.
so assuming the above link works, what do you think?
seems to be equipped like I would have done anyway, like Dana 44/40, rear locker, 2inch lift.
i'm wondering why though he removed the front driveshaft... does his explanation sound reasonable?
also, I think I had read that certain models with 4.7 had better front joints, CV instead of u-joint on the driveshaft or something like that... would that be true of the 02?

thanks for any comments... eric

gone: 91 YJ 4.0, 00 XJ 4.0, 04 WJ 4.0
gone: 08 Charger SRT8 SuperBee
99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 11:09 AM
MuloChico
2006 WK 

The add is deceptive. His details are not completely accurate.

265/75/r16 are 31.5" and would need more than a little trimming to the wheel wells as they would rub. Might be 265/70r16 as they are about 30-30.5" (still would probably need some trimming).
OME springs are about a 2.5" lift (I just did it, not huge difference but I can be anal about details)
Front axle is probably a Dana 30 (Never heard of a Dana 40), check the rear as it may be a Dana 35 since he didn't get the front correct.
His explanation for removing the front DS is arguable. If it has the Rzeppa (CV style) joints they might have failed with the lift. Those joints don't react well to any lift. That would require a replacement (i.e. jy find for factory double cardan or aftermarket)

Kelly Blue Book shows private party price as $2541 and whatever you want to adjust for the extras. You have to figure in installing/replacing the front DS. Dealer (retail) price is $3841.

As always be careful with the 4.7. It can have major issues if it has been overheated (warped heads, etc) if the electric fan (if so equipped) doesn't work. I bought one last year cheap with some needed repairs and have had no major issues.

I would look at it but would definitely talk them down a bit unless you really want it.

Just my 2 cents. Looks clean, but be wary and check it out.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

good points... thanks...
i am just a little excited since it's the first 4.7/selectrac i've found in years of looking.
I will also ask him if the selectrac was a diy or came from the factory.

99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7

post #4 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 04:03 PM
wjpaul
2002 WJ 

Did he change the rear diff. I have the v-8 QD and it came with a D44a. Only locker I could find to work in the aluminum 44 was the ARB air locker. The D44HD comes in JK's. Did he change axles? Agree that there's no D40. It will have a D30 in the front and most likely the Vari-Lok carrier. Look into a Powertrax Grip Pro locker for the d30. The front DS is either a rezeppa (sp) or double cardan. You want the double cardan. On another note you can find 242HD transfer cases at many salvage yards. Different tail piece and drive shaft.

02 GCL 4.7-QD-4" IRO CP LA lift-D44/ARB Locker-Bilsteins-Moog stabilizer-JCR slider-Falken 32x10.5
post #5 of 5 Old 07-04-2020, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
electrum

2013 WK 

he hasn't replied to my email yet... maybe because of the holiday. the add says it has an Aussie Locker in the rear, which i think is the same thing as the powertrax.

99 XJ 4.0
13 WK2 5.7

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in