Is your WK2 big enough for the family? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Delfindle

Is your WK2 big enough for the family?

I have a 3 y/o in fwd facing car seat and a newborn on the way, so that'll be a rear facing for awhile. Those of you with kids will hopefully relate to the loading/unloading the car with the kid(s) and all the stuff that comes with it.

Wife has a Highlander that does great with this. I'm looking for a new vehicle and the Grand Cherokee has more appeal to me than any of the 3-Row SUV's out there so curious to hear thoughts from owners in similar situations.

Does it make a good vehicle for family with young kids?
Do you ever wish you had more room or that 3rd row?
Does your kid kick the back of your seat or do you find loading kids a pain because the 2nd row isn't big enough

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 11:29 AM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

I also have a 3 yo and 1 yo, and yes, more times than not, I do wish I had more space. Put a double stroller in the trunk (or even a single stroller), and most of your trunk space is gone. But, this is what a mid-size SUV is for, its basically just a taller car.

To answer your question.
1. In terms of safety (Summit trim with all the safety features) and capability, 100% yes this is the best vehicle for your family. But in terms of size, not always.
2. Yes. Having that third row, no matter how little leg room you have, is a nice option to have, especially when you have family/friends and take short road trips
3. YES, always.

I'm keeping an eye out for a Yukon Denali (keeping the Jeep, for wife), but if full-size is not for you, the Durango could be another option if space is an issue for you.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 11:44 AM
DavidsCyclops

2014 WK 

When I bought my 14 GC Overland, my granddaughter was 5 years old in a forward facing car seat. I am 6'2" so I have the drivers seat all the way back, she could not sit behind me. Same on passenger side. So we put her in the middle of the back seat and her feet were hitting the back of the center console. I didnt like these 3 options. Luckily she was at the age she could transition to a booster seat, so that is how we solved the issue. I could not imagine back in my younger days when my 2 kids were little how this Jeep would have been acceptable for us. 99% of the miles put on my Jeep now, are with only me in the Jeep, so it works for me.

14 GC Overland 3.6L 276,000 miles
05 GC Laredo 3.7L 412,646 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 11:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The durango is the same SUV with a stretched wheelbase and more rear seat room. The WK2 rear doors are kinda narrow for loading and unloading kids, not that bad once you get used to it, but not ideal.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Delfindle

The Durango is interesting. I rationally know I can get the same powertrain options, more space, and rear A/C which feels like a great step up. Irrationally I have this sense of build quality somehow being reduced in the Dodge arm versus Jeep in the FCA tree. 100% own that it's not based on any data, just hearsay and marketing I assume. Also the subjectivity of the Durango not being nearly as good looking as the Grand Cherokee. (Not my top priority, but it does matter)

To the comments about the rear seat space, thank you. I feel like it's when you're trying to load a crying kid in the back while your late to an appointment when you're like "yes this works" or "nope, this sucks".
post #6 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 03:33 PM
JCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfindle View Post
I have a 3 y/o in fwd facing car seat and a newborn on the way, so that'll be a rear facing for awhile. Those of you with kids will hopefully relate to the loading/unloading the car with the kid(s) and all the stuff that comes with it.

Wife has a Highlander that does great with this. I'm looking for a new vehicle and the Grand Cherokee has more appeal to me than any of the 3-Row SUV's out there so curious to hear thoughts from owners in similar situations.

Does it make a good vehicle for family with young kids?
Do you ever wish you had more room or that 3rd row?
Does your kid kick the back of your seat or do you find loading kids a pain because the 2nd row isn't big enough

Thanks in advance.
To answer your questions.

1. Yes. Have a 6mo old and carted around our nephews and things worked out great. Plus the kids didn't complain and had plenty of room. Plus 2 full sized adults in the back also never complained when we cart around our family members.
2. Nope. A 3rd row would either make the vehicle too big or cut the legroom for the 2nd row and possibly 1st row. Both options are not preferable. Previously had larger vehicles with 3rd rows and we literally never used that space and that 3rd row cut in to the cargo space. The latter being the killer.
3. The 2nd row has PLENTY of space despite what some here are saying. To put it in specific terms it is easier to load and unload the car seat in the Grand Cherokee than my Dodge Charger and we get a tad bit more leg room in the front passenger seat with the car seat in (reverse) installed. And keep in mind the Charger is a full sized car with tons of space in the cabin. Your mileage may vary as apparently everyone has different life experiences as evidenced by the posts in here.

My opinion. You have to realize that putting the front seats all the way back to make the front seat passengers, the parents usually, comfortable while the kid(s) in the back have no room is a bit of a, and since the forum censored it, "female cleaning method" move honestly. Moving the front seats up even a little bit doesn't encroach much on your legroom while providing ample more room for little legs. It is a sacrifice a parent, or grandparent, should make. And I say this as someone who has a hip and knee problem.

In the end, YOU have to decide. Try renting one for a weekend and test it out yourself. It might just be the best way to answer your questions with a real-world testing environment. If you're not convinced it will work the Durango is a perfect option and a fantastic vehicle (get the R/T with the HEMI). Almost bought one ourselves, it just doesn't do the offroad stuff the Trailhawk does and that was a deal breaker. Oh, my neighbor has had 2 Durangos (2013 & 2017) and both were fantastic build quality.

Let us know if you get a Jeep, or Durango.

2018 Dodge Charger R/T
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 4x4 -- Sold and already missed A BUNCH
post #7 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 PM
pauliewoz

I have a 9, 8 and 2 year old in the back of my GC, the 8 year old had a booster up until recently and the 2 year old is in a forward facing seat. None of them complain about lack of space and I can sit in front of the two year old without being too cramped up in the front and I'm 6'2.

Sure a bigger car would be nice, but the grand Cherokee is totally doable.

I guess my outlook is a bit different because I grew up in Europe where a lot of families got around in a tiny FIAT.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 12 Old 08-29-2019, 06:21 PM
Matt_H

I have 3 kids: 7, 10, and 12. Have had the vehicle for 3 years now. It is perfectly fine for kids. I also find the cargo space to be good. the third row would be nice when a grandparent visits or additional friends want to haul around in one vehicle. But I knew that buying this. I'm over 6 feet tall, so no car is good for me with a rear-facing car seat. Has to be on the passenger side, otherwise I can't drive. This was true in the Odyssey minivan, Acura MDX, Toyota Camry, VW Passat, .....I've had a lot of vehicles.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-30-2019, 04:40 AM
PwnCall

Garage
It’s fine for kids, I have 2.5yo forward facing and 5 mo in the center so my wife can have a full side seat by them.

It is plenty big enough.

My 12’ Subaru Impreza hatch is big enough and quite smaller than the Jeep. Although offers a bit less front seat legroom due to car seats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 12 Old 08-30-2019, 01:30 PM
Matt_H

Oh, and I'm with you thought on the quality difference between Jeep and the rest of Chrysler. Had a Town & Country of the same year as my GC, and that thing is not built the same. Crap imo.... just my experience.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 09:34 AM
0f02r

Itís Explorer or Traverse time...captains chairs second row...if you have a small garage...GMC Acadia..
post #12 of 12 Old 09-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Matt_H

If you need larger and third row, and well priced, my folks just got a Volkswagen Atlas. Very nice, very large without being Tahoe large, and well priced with discounts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in