WK/WK2 battery location is hidden under passenge seat - JeepForum.com
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 08-28-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

WK/WK2 battery location is hidden under passenge seat

You would think the owner's manual would tell you where the battery is location WRONG! Did you know that the battery is hidden under the passenger seat which needs battery power to move seat. So if you have a dead battery that needs replacing you will need an alternate 12v power source to move seat so you can replace the battery So you ask how would you move the passenger seat to get to it?

Well. you have to have an extra battery power source and some jumper cables to apply power in the right side of the engine compartment. Look closely for a RED + plastic cover near right side hood hinge. Remove that RED plastic cover to attach RED jumper cable and then look 6 inches forward for a black negative - ground post near edge of fender

Search YouTube for a video how to access and change the battery I can't post links yet but I did find the video on where and how to find and change the battery.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 08-28-2019, 01:20 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah its been talked about here often, earlier model Owners manual had a section on it I think. But yeah for a dead battery and you have a power passenger seat, you have to jump start the passenger seat

They don't say much in the owners manual because Jeep doesn't want us touching it.
w6pea likes this.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 36 Old 08-29-2019, 05:53 AM
Nejeep
2019 WK 

And if you have auto stop/start there are 2 different sized batteries under the passenger seat. Im guessing that the seat will move as long as both batteries are not dead. I think getting them out of the engine compartment is a good thing, but the rear cargo area might have been a better choice.

19 Limited 4x4 3.6 White/Tan new daily driver
06 Laredo for 11 years
97 Laredo for 14 years

post #4 of 36 Old 08-29-2019, 06:40 AM
emacca

Ha ha whoops itís under my drivers seat.

But then my steering wheel is on the other side as well
andyo5 likes this.
post #5 of 36 Old 08-29-2019, 07:12 AM
BigTizzie

2011 WK 

Huh? My passenger seat uses a manual latch to slide forward. Now power needed to access the battery.

I really like it under the seat. Warmer in winter and helps with corrosion. I spray my terminals with dielectric grease.

Really happy with my Jeep, only real repair this year was rear calipers and tightened up the leaky oil pan bolts.
post #6 of 36 Old 08-31-2019, 10:01 AM
danelo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017jgc View Post
You would think the owner's manual would tell you where the battery is location WRONG! Did you know that the battery is hidden under the passenger seat which needs battery power to move seat. So if you have a dead battery that needs replacing you will need an alternate 12v power source to move seat so you can replace the battery So you ask how would you move the passenger seat to get to it?

Well. you have to have an extra battery power source and some jumper cables to apply power in the right side of the engine compartment. Look closely for a RED + plastic cover near right side hood hinge. Remove that RED plastic cover to attach RED jumper cable and then look 6 inches forward for a black negative - ground post near edge of fender

Search YouTube for a video how to access and change the battery I can't post links yet but I did find the video on where and how to find and change the battery.

Sounds like rich people problems. Us poor folks have manual seats.

It is an interesting problem that I never really thought of. At least getting to the points to apply auxiliary power is pretty easy.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #7 of 36 Old 08-31-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelo View Post
Sounds like rich people problems. Us poor folks have manual seats.

It is an interesting problem that I never really thought of. At least getting to the points to apply auxiliary power is pretty easy.
Us poor rich folks buy used and sometimes get some extra bells and whistles while getting 20K off list price.
JeepRonibo likes this.
post #8 of 36 Old 09-05-2019, 10:19 AM
eibyer

I just recently discovered that our Compass has two batteries also. Got used to the old single battery wk2 with no start/stop.
post #9 of 36 Old 09-05-2019, 11:22 AM
hoffinon
2014 WK 

Garage
I had to diagnose my ride earlier this year and disconnect the battery. I went to open up the hood and was disappointed not to find it there lol

2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 3.6L V6
post #10 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 03:43 PM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017jgc View Post
Us poor rich folks buy used and sometimes get some extra bells and whistles while getting 20K off list price.
Indeed!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #11 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 04:35 PM
schubie

Garage
Good to know! thanks
post #12 of 36 Old 09-06-2019, 07:17 PM
EllisWyatt

2020 WK 

I actually like the location. It’s much easier for me (and my back) to leverage a heavy car battery in or out of that spot compared to under the hood (especially on vehicles where the battery is close to the firewall).

www.coldwartourist.com
post #13 of 36 Old 12-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Jambalam

2007 WK 

Garage
Fooooor real?! Searching for WK stuff rabbit hole-ed me to here and this seems so foreign.
Are all WK2s like this?
Is the diesel?

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited CRD.
2006 Grand Cherokee Larado 3.7 V6.
Denver,CO
post #14 of 36 Old 12-12-2019, 03:21 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yes all WK2s have the battery under the passenger seat and yes its foreign in that the WK2 chassis and body is Mercedes based.

There are quite a few advantages, like keeping the battery away from the deadly engine compartment heat.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #15 of 36 Old 12-12-2019, 06:46 PM
howardusa
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Kinda surprised there are owners who don't know or just found out where the battery is. I looked at the engine before my purchase (doesn't everyone do this?) and did not see the battery. I asked where it was and was told it was under the seat. Then again there are owners who don't know if they have 4wd or not and wonder where the switch is to place it it 4wd not knowing it's full time. I wonder how many took their Jeeps back to the dealer to complain they forgot to put on the gas cap?
HT
Jambalam and jack103 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in