Where to attach deer sirens - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 09-16-2020, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
jwhop3

Where to attach deer sirens

Okay, I searched and did not find this topic. Every vehicle I have owned in the last 20+ years had a deer siren Glued somewhere on the front bumper. I cannot for the life of me find a spot to mount these on our 2020 Grand Cherokee. Right now they are stuck to the towing hooks under the front bumper, we’ll see how long they last. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-17-2020, 10:00 AM
JackB1
2014 WK 

The only idea I can provide is that you are wasting your money. Deer whistle research has shown they are basically worthless. I used to travel Rt 79 between Pittsburgh and Erie regularly for years which has one of the highest auto deer kills in the country. For a while deer whistles were hot because there was really no way to prove they did not work and it sounded logical that they should work. I can tell you there were just as many deer whistles embedded in collisions with the animal as not. Those that swear they work because they installed one and just missed a deer were the victims of coincidence. It also falls under the category of the low price product syndrome where the sellers love to put forth....."it costs less than $10 so what's the harm?" I love the drivers that feel if one works why not install 2 or 4. Here is one research study done several years ago and good luck; https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/c...cle-collisions
post #3 of 34 Old 09-17-2020, 11:58 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The only idea I can provide is that you are wasting your money. Deer whistle research has shown they are basically worthless. I used to travel Rt 79 between Pittsburgh and Erie regularly for years which has one of the highest auto deer kills in the country. For a while deer whistles were hot because there was really no way to prove they did not work and it sounded logical that they should work. I can tell you there were just as many deer whistles embedded in collisions with the animal as not. Those that swear they work because they installed one and just missed a deer were the victims of coincidence. It also falls under the category of the low price product syndrome where the sellers love to put forth....."it costs less than $10 so what's the harm?" I love the drivers that feel if one works why not install 2 or 4. Here is one research study done several years ago and good luck; https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/c...cle-collisions
I always said that they are cheap, and can't hurt, but thanks to that article
"Only the lowest frequency tested (.28 kHz) produced a significant response. And that was unfavorable, because deer were more likely to enter the roadway in response to the treatment."
I live in SW PA, and you always have it in the back of your mind to look out for those giant corn mice. And you know that at certain times of the day/year, you REALLY have to look out. I have never hit one personally, hope I never do, but I know probably a dozen people that have, some several each. I know I have come close many times, the scariest was on a motorcycle (low speed, high RPM fun!) in the Laurel Mountains near Laurel Caverns. And come around a bend, and there it was almost wore the damn thing. They are too stupid/instinctive for anything like that to help. If a singing Suzuki GS550E at 8,000RPM didn't deter it, nothing will.

post #4 of 34 Old 09-17-2020, 04:55 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

At night one can often see the eye reflections off to the side of the road. I hate it on foggy mornings with not a lot of visibility and they are sauntering down the road. Mom used to have a couple as pets, not bad once you get to know them.

During my last trip on I-80 across Pa a few months ago I was amazed by the number of deer carcasses, seemed like a couple every mile. Decades ago you wouldn't see that many. Is there a population explosion?

So whistles are not effective, but the thread topic is how to mount one if you wanted to. Something like talking about mounting a badge.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 06:44 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Well, IF I were to mount some, I would mount them under the bumper somewhere. Where they aren't as noticeable, and in the path of clean air.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 06:58 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

They are not nearly as loud as the sound of the vehicle. Probably can't even be heard above the sound of the vehicle.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #7 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 08:27 AM
Chuckmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhop3 View Post
... Right now they are stuck to the towing hooks under the front bumper, well see how long they last. Any ideas?
I'm not familiar with these sirens/whistles at all. Why is where you have them now a bad spot to mount them?
post #8 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 09:37 AM
ceb1

Those whistles work by wing going through them, so you need an unobstructed "view" to the front and a fair bit of space behind it.

Ideally, they'd be mounted on the leading edge of the fenders - kind-of like the blinker indicators on my 1975 Sedan de Ville.

Another spot would be on the roof rails.

But they don't work in any case.
post #9 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 01:20 PM
CrimsonGhost

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
During may last trip on I-80 across Pa a few months ago I was amazed by the number of deer carcasses, seemed like a couple every mile. Decades ago you wouldn't see that many. Is there a population explosion?
White Tail Deer are the scourge of PA. They are so over-populated around the suburbs of Pittsburgh, they get hit non-stop. The ones around my house have no fear of humans or dogs and are getting aggressive. They'll go nose to nose at the fence with my dogs then hit it with their hoofs.
WK2Overland4X4 likes this.

2014 Black GC Laredo - Retired
2015 Blue GC Limited - Retired
2018 Bright White GC Limited
post #10 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 01:44 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
When we lived in the White mountains in AZ. Elk were the main road hazard. hwy's out of there at night all warn 35mph. They are everywhere up there. heading to payson from showlow.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 01:57 PM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
[QUOTE=WK2Overland4X4;41075057] giant corn mice.

Never heard of them called that, I have always called them Bouncy Cows, Just as smart as a cow, but they do the suicidal bounce over the fence.

Be happy you have white tails we have mule deer, elk, prong horns and jack rabbits that will rip the bumper off a car.

01' XJ, 4.0l, AW4, NP231, D30, CHY8.25, 1.5 RC lift, 245/70R16 Nokian Rotiiva AT
post #12 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 04:13 PM
Homer1

the deer pop in SE PA is crazy nuts....i've seen huge racks all around, including running the pavements in south philly under I95 near broad st. where it ends by the naval yard...right by the stadiums...

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #13 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 05:26 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Pigs are a solid animal, its like hitting a low brick wall. Good thing they aren't typically roaming the streets. A moose is just tall enough that the legs get clipped as your hood dives under its body and then and all 1000 pounds of the carcass, more or less, falls through the windshield and into the rear seat, taking out anything in the way. Deadly.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #14 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 06:55 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Was coming out of the City of rocks Idaho in 66cj about 30 miles of dirt road about 1am with a sick child to the nearest hospital. anyway doing about 35 50 mph on the dirt part there was good stretch of road that i must hit at least a dozen jack rabbits, . Did not harm the Cj5 in any way, did sound horrific, like big bugs. At times i thought they were doing it on purpose.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #15 of 34 Old 09-18-2020, 07:40 PM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I had a jack center punch my old Dodge Dakota left a dinner plate size dent in my door I was going about 45 I thought it was a falling rock till I stopped and saw the jack And I had 31's on it. The worst thing I have ever hit was a Michigan coon about the size of a lab, that thing lifted the whole car off the ground of course I hit it at about 80 mph.(not on purpose)

01' XJ, 4.0l, AW4, NP231, D30, CHY8.25, 1.5 RC lift, 245/70R16 Nokian Rotiiva AT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in