What is the purpose of Extended Sway Bar Links? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 01-07-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
jeepfriend09

What is the purpose of Extended Sway Bar Links?

I see people get these put on their WK2's but I'm not sure what they are for and if I should get them? I plan on putting a RRO lift on my '15 WK2 but I don't know if extended sway bar links are something I should get also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Miami_Son
2015 WK 

Typically, they are used on vehicles with lift kits because the lift often causes the sway bar mounts to no longer reach their attachment points.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

They are not necessary on the wktoo. The geometry of the IFS/IRS is different than the solid axles under the WJ.

2000 WJ 5.2 V8
2011 WK2 V6

post #4 of 13 Old 01-07-2016, 05:43 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

People you see that put these on a WK2 probably are not familiar with the WK2 suspension.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 13 Old 01-08-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
jeepfriend09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
People you see that put these on a WK2 probably are not familiar with the WK2 suspension.
Is there ANY benefit to adding them to the WK2 lift kit? If not, I'll be happy with not needing to pay more money for a lift haha. Thanks!
post #6 of 13 Old 01-08-2016, 07:29 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooplehead24 View Post
Is there ANY benefit to adding them to the WK2 lift kit? If not, I'll be happy with not needing to pay more money for a lift haha. Thanks!
Well they do reset the steady state link/bar angle to what it would be a NRH. This is important for the massive lifts some put on solid axles, but the WK2 suspension was designed with QL in mind so its not a WK2 issue. There have been some reports of the aftermarket longer links breaking, however.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-08-2016, 07:53 AM
Nonstop
2000 WJ 

On this jeep no there is no noticeable gain.

2000 WJ 5.2 V8
2011 WK2 V6
post #8 of 13 Old 08-12-2020, 06:33 PM
JakdMan

Hate to bring back an ancient thread but I seriously have to say a few things after reading some of these comments......

3" and up, DARN RIGHT extended links are needed! Just got finished putting on a ~2.75 inch olift kit on my Jeep and I will say straight up, the amount we had to push down on the sway bar just to get the links in their holes...... yeah, anyone really trying to say people don't understand this suspension and it's not necessary blatantly did not install their own lift.... if they even bothered doing anything to their jeep.

The umbrella notion of "everything is designed around quadra lift" is the ignorant thought, especially when you consider ow many other parts aren't just the same across models and packages (I'm thing diffs/transfer cases as a big one)

Until someone shows me a diagram that shows all literally being the same under there up to the aribags for traditional springs and struts/shocks, I am not one to believe the bar is supposed to have that much force on it at the tallest setting, even if it isn't living there outside of trail days.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-12-2020, 07:39 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Take a look at the parts book, compare and contrast, do your homework and come back and show us the differences besides spring rates and shocks..

There's been hundreds of lifts installed here.

The sway bar bushings are molded to the bar, and can stick, so they can take a little effort to line up. Not a problem, they adjust. Some will use aftermarket links anyway. Your choice.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-13-2020, 09:42 PM
JakdMan

Will? More like have. And as I've mentioned, I've done the lift, first hand so yeah. I was hoping since some of you are so adimate it's unnecessary you could be the one to help but as usual that
's asking to much in today's society...... (google aside, if yall are so set I really have to wonder why yall havent done it yet but hey, every man for himself )

Plus considering all the changes we know have been made after 2015 to suspension alone, I'm not fully convinced. Fully independent suspension or not, there is a reason the predecessors have a plethora of longer and extended parts made for them. The darned "luxury" target and "quadralift" seem to have diluted what people believe will work, should be, and just logic. Yeah it's supposed to flex and bring things back when rolling at extension of things but there IS a limit, especially when the lower control arm is literally being pushed 2+ inches down when all 4 are planted! That and the aftermarket is primarily concerned with the SRT and Trackhawk outside of Australia.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-14-2020, 05:25 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sounds like the WK2 is not the right vehicle for you. The information in this forum is gathered from those that do modify and want to help their jeep friends. Its not always right, sometimes there are better ways, sometimes old info needs updated but is missed, often a work in progress.

Not sure what you are thinking but the only suspension change over the years was switching control arms to aluminum from steel, moving the front sway bar attachment, and some software settings. The geometry has not been changed, but part numbers have. There is quite a bit of marketing fluff about and, of course, everything you read on the internet has gotta be right.

The WK2 suspension has no articulation. It tripods (don't be airing down too much as one tire often is carrying most of the weight), and has too much sweet sheet metal for a serious off road tool. If you are serious about off road challenges, then another platform may be better suited. It is no wrangler. The WK2 is a nasty weather, nasty road, cross country cruiser that has some tow capability and happens to have several bits and pieces that allows it to handle many off road trails out of the box. It is comfortable on road where 99.9% of these spend there lives (thank goodness its no wrangler).

The products sticky thread lists quite a few aftermarket devices. The WK2 market is small however, and few will spend the money to test their product on newer models as there just isn't enough return on investment. Its hard to tell if a product won't fit a 2020 because of a fitment issue, or that they just didn't try it... same with just about all aftermarket from CAIs to wheels.The more wide open Australian country presents different challenges and there are quite a few outfits that make useful stuff, its a larger market. It just so happens that some of it is also useful in North America.

post #12 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 08:43 PM
JakdMan

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Sounds like the WK2 is not the right vehicle for you. The information in this forum is gathered from those that do modify and want to help their jeep friends. Its not always right, sometimes there are better ways, sometimes old info needs updated but is missed, often a work in progress.

Not sure what you are thinking but the only suspension change over the years was switching control arms to aluminum from steel, moving the front sway bar attachment, and some software settings. The geometry has not been changed, but part numbers have. There is quite a bit of marketing fluff about and, of course, everything you read on the internet has gotta be right.

The WK2 suspension has no articulation. It tripods (don't be airing down too much as one tire often is carrying most of the weight), and has too much sweet sheet metal for a serious off road tool. If you are serious about off road challenges, then another platform may be better suited. It is no wrangler. The WK2 is a nasty weather, nasty road, cross country cruiser that has some tow capability and happens to have several bits and pieces that allows it to handle many off road trails out of the box. It is comfortable on road where 99.9% of these spend there lives (thank goodness its no wrangler).

The products sticky thread lists quite a few aftermarket devices. The WK2 market is small however, and few will spend the money to test their product on newer models as there just isn't enough return on investment. Its hard to tell if a product won't fit a 2020 because of a fitment issue, or that they just didn't try it... same with just about all aftermarket from CAIs to wheels.The more wide open Australian country presents different challenges and there are quite a few outfits that make useful stuff, its a larger market. It just so happens that some of it is also useful in North America.
Hence Why I've gone that route. They seem to be interested in actually using the WK2 as opposed to the apparent 99% in this thread (let alone NA)
post #13 of 13 Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its a much different environment once you get out of the built up areas, not that there is anything wrong with that. Just about any vehicle needs modification to survive, or to be somewhat useful. But yeah, there are a lot of them that actually use a WK2 to tow 7000 pounds of horse trailer across the outback for thousands of miles ....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in