Weight Distribution Hitch With Air Suspension Install - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
magik235

1971 CJ5 

Weight Distribution Hitch With Air Suspension Install

Has anybody installed a weight distribution hitch on a WK2 with air suspension? How did you determine the initial ride height of the WK2?

Attached Thumbnails
Vehicle Height.jpg  

1971 Jeep CJ5 - 2010 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited - 2011 Jeep Overland 5.7 Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 05:53 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I recall the procedure posted here awhile ago, when I get a chance I'll look for it. The WK2 is going to want to settle into Aero mode above 35 mph or so, so thats the target, I think.

Here's one : https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...l#post27657537

Whatever hits the fan is not evenly distributed
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
magik235

1971 CJ5 

Mine seems to go into Aero mode between 60 and 65. Thanks for the link.

post #4 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 09:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sport mode is about the same level as aero.

post #5 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 07:24 PM
OldPaint

Garage
From the manual of my 2011 GC Overland: "The Quadra-Lift air suspension system provides full time load leveling capability..."

First, my hitch height is adjusted to line up closely with my level trailer tongue height. I merely hitch up and drive away, far enough to find a very level spot where the GC and trailer are on the same plane. (I live on a hill top without enough real level ground.) Only then do I finalize hooking up the trailer weight distribution/anti-sway assembly. Finding a level spot is key to avoiding any binding.

My travel trailer is just under 4000 lbs fully loaded and it pulls like a dream with the 5.7L WK2.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
magik235

1971 CJ5 

I received this information from etrailer.com.

On a vehicle with air suspension that auto levels you need to let the auto leveling take place before installing and setting up a weight distribution system like the one you referenced. You need to start your vehicle with the trailer connected so that the auto leveling will take place and then from there install and set up the WD kit.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 PM
OldPaint

Garage
Rigs picsName:  WK2_Travel Trailer.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  38.0 KB
post #8 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
magik235

1971 CJ5 

Nice rigs. I am setting up for 4100 pounds dry weight travel trailer.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 09:17 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I dunno, with the trailer hooked up, the auto leveled is going to put the tongue weight on the rear axle, none on the front. In effect the WDH doesn't end up distributing weight to the front axle.

I would think you'd want to level the Jeep without the trailer connected. Then disable auto level, hook the trailer up which will sag the rear a little, adjust the WHD to get the Jeep back to the level without the trailer (the ball level mentioned in the link) . That way some of the tongue weight gets distributed to the front axle. Then enable QL and have a good day. But maybe I'm missing something, or it doesn't make that much of a difference with maybe 200 pounds of tongue weight.

post #10 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
magik235

1971 CJ5 

ColdCase: Your above post makes sense to me. I am going to explore the Ram tomorrow forum to see what they say. Searching this forum doesn't provide any solid answers.

post #11 of 13 Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The 2016 RAM manual has something like this:

Towing With 1500 Air Suspension
1. Set air suspension to normal ride height. No action is required if already in normal ride height.
2. Position the truck to be ready to connect to the trailer (do not connect the trailer).
3. Under radio suspension settings, turn on jack mode. Jack mode will be canceled and procedure must be restarted if the vehicle is driven at speeds above 5mph (8kph).
4. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender to ground, this is height H1.
5. Attach the trailer to the vehicle without the weight distribution bars connected.
6. Measure the height of the top of the front wheel opening on the fender to ground, this is height H2.
7. Install and adjust the tension in the weight distributing bars so that the height of the front fender is approximately (H2-H1)/3+H1 (about 1/3 the difference between H2 and H1 above normal ride height [H1]).
8. The truck can now be driven. Jack mode will be canceled and vehicle will return to normal ride height when drive at speeds above 5mph (8kph).

The WK2 and RAM have a much different suspension and wheelbase, so dunno how applicable. The WK2 manual has nothing.

Setting up the WDH is best done using scales to check the weight transfer to each axle. You would let the air suspension auto level and adjust the WDH to put about half the tongue weight on each axle. Thats what guys that tow real heavy do. They use nothing but scales for initial setup.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
magik235

1971 CJ5 

Thank you ColdCase. That is exactly the information I needed. After the information you supplied yesterday, I was going to use that procedure without the formula. Your most recent post confirms this for me. I will post the my step by step installation method after I complete it next week when I get the trailer. Since the manual states a weight distribution is required for trailers over 3500 pounds, it should outline the proper procedure. Thank you again for your valuable assistance.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-15-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
magik235

1971 CJ5 

I am still exploring this topic and found 2 interesting summaries.

I have been trying for awhile to find out exactly what sequence to use when setting up my weight distribution hitch with the Jeeps Quadra-lift suspension.
I asked the service dept and they said if I ask 10 people, I'll get 10 different answers. I then asked Jeep/Chrysler and here is their reply.

"Thank you for contacting the Jeep Customer Assistance Center.

Our records indicate this vehicle was equipped from the factory with
Quadra-Lift Air Suspension.

The Quadra-Lift air suspension system provides full time load leveling.
According to available information, the system should be in the Normal

Ride Height Mode when installing a weight distributing hitch and
setting the vehicle up for trailer towing. Allow the system to
auto-level and then set
up/adjust the weight distributing system accordingly.

I have the 4-corner air suspension on my RAM and had the same question regarding the proper way to hitch up. I suspect that your suspension will probably behave the same way mine does. I was trying to set mine up and adjust it per the hitch manufacturers instructions with the suspension active. Even though it seemed to be adjusted properly once I got down the road a short bit it just didn't feel right.

I finally found what for me was the right advice on a RAM Cummins forum - which is essentially disable the suspension before dropping the coupler on the ball and adjusting your weight distribution. After you've adjusted the weight distribution then re-engage the suspension and it should have little work to do. If you are using wheel well measurements to adjust your weight distribution make sure you take those before and after while the suspension is still disable. On my RAM the suspension is disabled by entering into "Tire Jack Mode" via the UConnect console. There should be something similar on the Jeep.

One other thing I discovered - normally you adjust the ball to be slightly higher than the coupler when the trailer is level and allow the tongue weight to bring it down. With the air suspension I had to drop the ball down so that it was about even or just a wee bit lower than the coupler when the trailer is level. This prevents the trailer from ending up slightly nose high as the air suspension will lift the rear up to the height it was before the tongue weight was added - essentially returning the ball to the above level height it started out at.

This procedure works very well on my setup. I continue to disable the suspension every time I hook the trailer up now and I'm getting consistent results from the weight distribution adjustment. I am getting 100% FALR (verified at CAT scale) and the trailer is always level regardless of what the tongue weight is - mine varies from around 425-475lb depending on how the trailer is loaded.

Hope that helps - and good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in