V62 Recall Resulting in Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-21-2021, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
11LimitedJGC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
V62 Recall Resulting in Starting Problems

Hi All,


Does anyone have experience with the V-62 recall? Here is mine, and I wonder if I'm alone.


My 2011 had the prior fuel pump recall completed before I bought it 3 years ago. I haven't had any starting problems, but got the V-62 recall letter in November 2020 - saying parts are available and come in to make sure you don't have problems in the future. Although I had never had stalling or no-start conditions, I thought it would be best to be proactive and complete the recall.



The recall was completed January 6th, 2021.


Since the recall work was completed, I have had new no-start problems occurring. I took some video , basically the Jeep just cranks and cranks but will not start - however it doesn't do this very often. Roughly once a month, and it NEVER did it before. Here is the video link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eBNZHmfd18aWzYnY6



Took it to the dealer today. No stored codes, and of course it started up. They do have the video, but will NOT replace just the relay for me. Although they noted a possible cause being the "Wireless Control Module" - with a replacement cost of $832, the service advisor did NOT recommend doing this. Its just throwing parts at it.


I did ask, if I was going to throw parts at it, what if we just threw a new relay kit in. He said they won't do that (even if I paid for it) - and also told me not to do it myself, in case Jeep does come back and cover things he didn't want me to invalidate what is going on.


So - after recall fix. Now i have intermittent not starting.


Has this happened to anyone else?


Thanks - D

11LimitedJGC is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 05-21-2021, 04:09 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 17,905
I recall a couple here, they should jump in soon.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is online now  
post #3 of 19 Old 05-21-2021, 04:11 PM
eibyer
Registered User
2012  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: aj
Posts: 609
I have a 2012 that intermittently will start and shut off after few seconds. I was at service for an oil change and brought up the issue but of course the vehicle started properly the two times the advisor tried it. The next time the GC was in for service I mentioned it again and this time it shut down right after starting. They replaced both batteries of my fob but that did not fix the issue and the next recommendation was check to see if the fuel relay recall fix would address the start-shutdown problem.

I'm finally scheduled for recall fix next week so we'll see if that solves that. I've been remote starting the GC so I don't have to deal with the annoying start-shutdown. It was mentioned in one of the threads that it might be the wireless module that could be the issue, if the recall fix doesn't solve mine then I'll ask about that.
eibyer is offline  
 
post #4 of 19 Old 05-21-2021, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
11LimitedJGC
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 24
Hi - both key batteries have been replaced in the last 2 months - that was the first thing I tried - we don't get any "key not detected" or "Low Key Battery" messages in the message center - so, I'm confident its not the keys.

As it only started having problems AFTER the recall fix / new fuel pump relay, I am convinced that has something to do with it - its the only part that has changed.

Also, if the dealer doesn't know, and is just throwing parts at it, WHY NOT - throw in a cheap relay part first, not the $850 wireless module (which, seems to work for EVERY. OTHER. FUNCTION).

Its a mystery.
11LimitedJGC is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 05-21-2021, 05:36 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 627
Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LimitedJGC View Post
Hi - both key batteries have been replaced in the last 2 months - that was the first thing I tried - we don't get any "key not detected" or "Low Key Battery" messages in the message center - so, I'm confident its not the keys.

As it only started having problems AFTER the recall fix / new fuel pump relay, I am convinced that has something to do with it - its the only part that has changed.

Also, if the dealer doesn't know, and is just throwing parts at it, WHY NOT - throw in a cheap relay part first, not the $850 wireless module (which, seems to work for EVERY. OTHER. FUNCTION).

Its a mystery.
This does sound symptomatic of the fault condition the recall was supposed to fix. The fact it only occurred after the recall does suggests they F'd it up or were unlucky and got a bad relay. As you highlighted, get them to change the relay or just buy one and swap it. I had the first recall for this problem performed years ago and the problem re-occurred a couple of years later, I swapped the $12 relay and it has been fine since. Before I did this I did check the wiring into the TIPM and everything looked good. The reason for the second recall seems to be related to the quality of the bypass wiring or ongoing relay failures. This could be more of a problem if you operate the vehicle in a wet or cold location where the roads are salted but this is just a guess.

Try reaching out to Jeep Cares to see if they can get your dealer to perform a proper diagnostic and follow-up.

The other option is to try another dealer but I suspect they won't be too keen to take the case and will suggest you return to the dealer that performed the recall.

I am not an anti vaxer but I do not plan to get this recall done. I just keep a spare relay in the glovebox.
Bilko is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 05-21-2021, 05:45 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 627
Before you spend any money for the dealer to randomly swap parts without a conclusive diagnosis, I would ask them to remove the recall and perform any associated remedial work required to prove what they did broke it. The removal needs to be done properly and not just a soldering and electrical tape, this may require swapping wiring harnesses.
Bilko is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 05-24-2021, 11:31 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 5,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by eibyer View Post
I have a 2012 that intermittently will start and shut off after few seconds. I was at service for an oil change and brought up the issue but of course the vehicle started properly the two times the advisor tried it. The next time the GC was in for service I mentioned it again and this time it shut down right after starting. They replaced both batteries of my fob but that did not fix the issue and the next recommendation was check to see if the fuel relay recall fix would address the start-shutdown problem.

I'm finally scheduled for recall fix next week so we'll see if that solves that. I've been remote starting the GC so I don't have to deal with the annoying start-shutdown. It was mentioned in one of the threads that it might be the wireless module that could be the issue, if the recall fix doesn't solve mine then I'll ask about that.
Hi eibyer,
Please feel free to keep us updated regarding your situation. If we can be of any additional assistance as you are working with your dealer, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be more than happy to help via PM.

Rob
Jeep Cares
JeepCares is online now  
post #8 of 19 Old 05-24-2021, 11:36 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 5,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LimitedJGC View Post
Hi All,


Does anyone have experience with the V-62 recall? Here is mine, and I wonder if I'm alone.


My 2011 had the prior fuel pump recall completed before I bought it 3 years ago. I haven't had any starting problems, but got the V-62 recall letter in November 2020 - saying parts are available and come in to make sure you don't have problems in the future. Although I had never had stalling or no-start conditions, I thought it would be best to be proactive and complete the recall.



The recall was completed January 6th, 2021.


Since the recall work was completed, I have had new no-start problems occurring. I took some video , basically the Jeep just cranks and cranks but will not start - however it doesn't do this very often. Roughly once a month, and it NEVER did it before. Here is the video link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eBNZHmfd18aWzYnY6



Took it to the dealer today. No stored codes, and of course it started up. They do have the video, but will NOT replace just the relay for me. Although they noted a possible cause being the "Wireless Control Module" - with a replacement cost of $832, the service advisor did NOT recommend doing this. Its just throwing parts at it.


I did ask, if I was going to throw parts at it, what if we just threw a new relay kit in. He said they won't do that (even if I paid for it) - and also told me not to do it myself, in case Jeep does come back and cover things he didn't want me to invalidate what is going on.


So - after recall fix. Now i have intermittent not starting.


Has this happened to anyone else?


Thanks - D
Hi D,
We’re very sorry to hear that. Please follow up with us via PM to provide additional details regarding your concerns so we may determine how to best assist you.

Rob
Jeep Cares
JeepCares is online now  
post #9 of 19 Old 05-31-2021, 06:10 PM
MR291
Registered User
2020 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kingston
Posts: 24
I had the updated recall done last month and it has not fixed the issue. Dealership does not know what to do and is simply suggesting a tune up or replacing the fuel pump, both at my expense of course, to see if those are the problem. No codes. Has anyone else had this issue re-occur and found a solution. Thanks.
MR291 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 05-31-2021, 07:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 17,905
Some recent discussion here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...heard-4433601/

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is online now  
post #11 of 19 Old 08-17-2021, 01:19 AM
bts_wk2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 44
V62 Recall mystery

I had exactly the same issue,
I live in middle east, WK2 2012, 5.7 Engine.
Initially I have no problem at all, but Jeep call to perform V62 recall with free of charge.
fuel pump relay with wiring harness has been replaced. after couple of weeks, I have a problem in starting. engine cranking with no start, it works only after 2-3 times cranking.
return to dealership, and they asked to change the fuel pump =(

So conclusion :
if you don't have any problem whatsoever with fuel pump before, DON'T DO V62 RECALL !! or you will regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11LimitedJGC View Post
Hi All,


Does anyone have experience with the V-62 recall? Here is mine, and I wonder if I'm alone.


My 2011 had the prior fuel pump recall completed before I bought it 3 years ago. I haven't had any starting problems, but got the V-62 recall letter in November 2020 - saying parts are available and come in to make sure you don't have problems in the future. Although I had never had stalling or no-start conditions, I thought it would be best to be proactive and complete the recall.



The recall was completed January 6th, 2021.


Since the recall work was completed, I have had new no-start problems occurring. I took some video , basically the Jeep just cranks and cranks but will not start - however it doesn't do this very often. Roughly once a month, and it NEVER did it before. Here is the video link:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eBNZHmfd18aWzYnY6



Took it to the dealer today. No stored codes, and of course it started up. They do have the video, but will NOT replace just the relay for me. Although they noted a possible cause being the "Wireless Control Module" - with a replacement cost of $832, the service advisor did NOT recommend doing this. Its just throwing parts at it.


I did ask, if I was going to throw parts at it, what if we just threw a new relay kit in. He said they won't do that (even if I paid for it) - and also told me not to do it myself, in case Jeep does come back and cover things he didn't want me to invalidate what is going on.


So - after recall fix. Now i have intermittent not starting.


Has this happened to anyone else?


Thanks - D
bts_wk2 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 08-17-2021, 07:39 AM
BigTizzie
Registered User
 
BigTizzie's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Moneyapolis, MN
Posts: 732
Try and replace the ASD (automatic shut down) relay too. Creates the same problems as the bad FP relay.

Around $10 bucks. I just went through this. Local mechanic diagnosed it and fixed for under $200.00.

I put MSD coils on my Jeep last year and wondering if the current is higher and caused the ASD relay to fail.

This may be it...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...AaAtVFEALw_wcB

Relay, Micro, High Current G8V-RH-1A7T-R-DC12
BigTizzie is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 08-17-2021, 02:14 PM
MR291
Registered User
2020 WK 
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Kingston
Posts: 24
Same with my 2012 5.7. No problems until I did the recall. They replaced the FP relay three times and still did not solve it. Video was provided but did not tell them anything that they did not already know. Paid for diagnosis but no error codes. Customer Care was of no value. Suggested fuel pump but mechanic did not recommend as there was no guarantee that this would solve the problem. Ended up getting rid of the Jeep. For those that have not done the recall, I would suggest not doing it unless there is a problem.
MR291 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 08-18-2021, 06:08 AM
bts_wk2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 44
where is the location of this ASD relay? is it on the fuse box above TIPM ?
this omron relay will be easy to find in the local shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTizzie View Post
Try and replace the ASD (automatic shut down) relay too. Creates the same problems as the bad FP relay.

Around $10 bucks. I just went through this. Local mechanic diagnosed it and fixed for under $200.00.

I put MSD coils on my Jeep last year and wondering if the current it higher and caused the ASD relay to fail.

This may be it...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...AaAtVFEALw_wcB

Relay, Micro, High Current G8V-RH-1A7T-R-DC12
bts_wk2 is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 08-18-2021, 06:39 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 17,905
Early models it is K10 in the TIPM.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-08-18 at 8.38.55 AM.jpg  
BigTizzie likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome