v6 "ticking" and rocker arms - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigD6765

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-18-2020, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
BigD6765
2006 LJ Wrangler 

v6 "ticking" and rocker arms

Well, I heard my 2014 JGC Altitude ticking this past week. It wasn't extremely loud...could only hear it with the windows down and even then only if I drove by something (like another car) for the sound to bounce back. I got home and opened the hood, and it was definitely noticeable.

So, dropped it off at the local Jeep dealer yesterday (I have max care on it). Got the call today that it was definitely bad rockers. They are replacing both cams and all the rockers/lifters on the right side of the engine.

Now, I've only got 59k on it. I bought it in May 2014 so not quite to the 6-year mark at this point. Anyone I've personally known with the v6 (Jeep and other Chrysler products) have not had this issue. But, it's obviously out there since there are youtube videos and various posts about it. It's obviously concerning to have this low of miles on a modern vehicle and have a relatively major fix required.

How is everyone else doing out there?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-18-2020, 08:04 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks for the info. Roller rocker arm/lifter failures seem to be more common than they should be across all brands, especially GM V8s and some Toyotas and Hondas. Dozens of theories, best one seems to blame a random manufacturing defect that can strike anytime but usually it takes 50,000 miles+ to notice.

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 7 Old 02-01-2020, 01:08 AM Thread Starter
BigD6765
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quick follow-up.

Took my Jeep in. When I first explained the noise, the advisor seemed convinced it was injector noise...I said I think he's way off base... I go start it up and his immediate words were "that's not right".

Turns out, several rockers (didn't say exactly how many) failed and scored both cams. So, total topside replacement on the right side of the engine. Sounds great now...all is good.

Thank God I had the Maxcare package...not sure what it would've been but I'm quite sure it would've been pricey. This is the first time I bought an extended warranty and I got the lifetime before it was discontinued. I planned from the get-go to drive this until it can't be driven any longer...so sprung for the warranty.

I'm a little disappointed in this happening at such an early point in it's life. I don't drive it hard...not even remotely. Always do maintenance early if anything. No bueno.
ColdCase likes this.

2005 Rubicon LJ, 2006 LJ, 2014 JGC Altitude

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2020, 07:35 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks for following up

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 7 Old 02-02-2020, 12:01 PM
BWT20

I have a 2016 JKU started ticking about 50000 miles. Dealership said rocker arm and exhaust cam was bad. Less than a month after work was done check engine light starts coming on. Take it back to the dealership they said I had some burnt valves. There not even replacing head there sending my head to a machine shop to be fixed. Anyone else had this happen?
post #6 of 7 Old 02-05-2020, 10:11 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT20 View Post
I have a 2016 JKU started ticking about 50000 miles. Dealership said rocker arm and exhaust cam was bad. Less than a month after work was done check engine light starts coming on. Take it back to the dealership they said I had some burnt valves. There not even replacing head there sending my head to a machine shop to be fixed. Anyone else had this happen?
Hi BWT20,
I understand how the concerns you are having may be frustrating. If you ever have additional questions or are in need of additional support while in service, please don't hesitate to send us a PM.

Kathryn
JeepCares
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2020, 06:58 PM
BWT20

I appreciate your concern, this Jeep is not worth the headache and worry about what is going to happen next. When it comes back from the dealer this time it’s going to be someone else problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in