Use Sport Mode? - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-16-2021, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Quadra_Drive

2017 WK 

Use Sport Mode?

I have a 2017 WK2 Trailhawk with the V6. A few extra skid plates and I carry a lot of gear, so it runs heavy. Are the any benefits/downsides to driving sport mode? Decreased gas mileage is a pretty obvious downside (I think), but don't know how significant it is. Gas mileage aside, does the 3.6L like to shift at higher rpms? Is it happier?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-16-2021, 09:47 PM
JonMopar

It just changes the shift program to hold gears a little higher into the rev range, and maybe shift a little less smoothly (more aggressively…or at least it feels that way because of the higher revs).

As far as benefits? If lower gas mileage and making the engine work more are benefits, then yeah lol. But in all seriousness no not really .

I wouldn’t say it makes thungs much more snappy or quick. If you’re after quick, maybe look at getting a hemi, because 3.6s work well and have adequate power, but are otherwise the economical choice. Nothing really sporty about them.

98 Laredo ZJ 4L -3.73, 5.9 "ultrastar" rims, slotted brakes, Dynomax turbo, CAI.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-16-2021, 10:50 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Difference are subtle, doesn't affect gas mileage in itself, but you may drive "sportier" which uses a bit more fuel.

Sport mode gives you a bit more rear wheel bias, more of a RWD feel, less transfer case clutch wear, but rear tires will wear faster. It lowers the suspension to aero height full time, so the center of gravity is lower which makes handling "sportier". The transmission shifts may feel snappier, downshifts are quicker.

But you are running heavy which, well... is not very sporty

Use sport mode if you like it, normal mode if you like that better. Using the same driving style one mode may give you better mpg than the other, depending on the style. But differences are in tenths of a mpg in my experience.
diverscale and IDoMy0wnRacing like this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 17 Old 11-17-2021, 07:25 AM
BubbaATL
2018 WK 

I use sport mode on mountain roads to keep the suspension lower and shift points higher. I also use the paddles a lot there.

Otherwise it's off, and so is eco mode. Around town, sport mode feels too aggressive to me, and eco too, well, deliberate. Both off seems just right to me.

2018 Limited 3.6L with pretty much everything ("almost a Trailhawk")
post #5 of 17 Old 11-17-2021, 08:35 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
You can also try a throttle calibrator like a Pedal Commander. Mine is hidden but can be adjusted through bluetooth but I just leave it in City +2. Not quite like sport mode but noticeably quicker response and no lowering into aero.
diverscale likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #6 of 17 Old 11-17-2021, 04:18 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

sport mode also adds some extra engine braking, but just barely.

I don't use it often, only when I have to drive aggressively (i.e. pass someone, etc.), I quick slap the shifter and just floor it.

According to Mopar, anything over 3000 rpm is considered excessive engine speed (look up the oil consumption guidelines in this forum). Having said that, I drive normal with it (which would be slightly under average for most drivers) or its foot-through-the-floor because there is no in-between with the V6 because you need the trans to downshift for it to go decently fast, which it is, if you floor it.

Driving in Sport 24/7, I think will just put extra ware and tear on your vehicle with less benefit.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-17-2021, 07:55 PM
Matt_H

It tends to be rougher. And thatís because it holds gears longer before upshifting. And thatís where the engine braking comes from. You let off the gas, it doesnít up shift right away, the engine brakes the vehicle a bit. The point of that is that if you are truly driving sporty, you donít want a moment off the gas to cause an up shift which then needs a downshift upon getting back on the gas hard. But really, who needs to drive like this. There is some value when towing since it wonít up and downshift as often as you get on and off the gas since the engine isnít looking for highest gear possible at all moments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 17 Old 11-17-2021, 09:40 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
That is my issue with sport mode. It's just a little too "sporty". The PC in city mode is my answer. More response without holding a gear a little longer than I'd like. I also don't want to drive around in aero all the time. It's possible to get slight tire rub with the 275's, especially lowered to aero. Sport is fine if you're blasting through traffic and in a hurry, not so much for just a little later and snappier shifts.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #9 of 17 Old 11-17-2021, 11:12 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The 8 speed is sporty enough, but sport mode provides a bit more driving satisfaction for early models that have fewer transmission gears. The V6 could be a dog in those early years. I don't see a need for sport mode when driving my 8 speed RAM V8 as it shifts often and quickly, never being too far from the right gear ratio. I imagine the late model 8 speed WK2s would also have diminished returns. Its throttle response near perfect, I wouldn't want to ruin it with a PC, but some do anyway as a fashion statement. It is a little easier to break the rear tires loose in sport mode, if you are into that kind of thing

There is actually less transfer case wear in sport mode as the clutches have less engagement and firmer shifts is always easier on transmissions, less clutch slippage. The tire alignment is done in aero mode, so your tires are more often in better alignment.

Bottom line is the differences are in driving satisfaction, which is subjective and a personal preference. No right way, no overriding technical reason to use one or another.
IDoMy0wnRacing and kland309 like this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #10 of 17 Old 11-18-2021, 02:52 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Having a PC certainly hasn't "ruined" anything. I'm not sure how a Hemi Ram compares, but the TH always seemed to want to upshift a little earlier than what would be ideal. Having it for the last few thousand miles I would unscientifically say that is the case. My mileage has actually gone up just slightly. This by leaving it in one of the mildest settings. I find sport and especially sport plus to be far too extreme and essentially worthless. City is barely noticeable, far milder than factory sport mode and again, no lowering. Since they don't marry themselves to a VIN, you could possibly even borrow one to test and see what you think. I got quite a discount and don't regret the purchase.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #11 of 17 Old 11-18-2021, 05:22 PM
11B-33T

2016 WK 

Possible silly question: Sport mode does not increase braking 'power' but uses increased engine/transmission up/down shifting?

11B-33T
- 2016 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited
- 2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD
- 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee SE
post #12 of 17 Old 11-18-2021, 05:54 PM
OldPaint

Garage
I appreciate the tip on using sport mode on twisty mountain roads. I have never tried it yet. Perhaps it would indeed improve steering response and lessen body roll just enough to be noticeable.
Tarheel6521 likes this.

Bob N. 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L, 1999 Cherokee XJ 4.0L (off-road enhanced)
post #13 of 17 Old 11-18-2021, 06:31 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
It does offer a little more engine braking because it will downshift and hold a gear totally unlike "standard" mode. It can offer some handling advantage lowering into aero as well. At 56 MPH it will lower by itself and stay in aero until you get below 25 MPH so you might already be seeing it. Sport has no effect on suspension if you do not have QL.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #14 of 17 Old 11-24-2021, 09:34 PM
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

I use it at times but generally use the manual sport shift with my shifter, 13 with 5 speed. I guess paddles on the newer 8 speed.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-25-2021, 03:22 PM
pyolet

Is it just my imagination, or does sport mode also change the exhaust note in a Hemi? More throaty and V8 sounding to me anyway. I like it and use sport in town a lot just for that, to hell with mpg or maintenance. Woody. OEM exhaust in a 2014 Summit Hemi.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in