UConnect USB Update Doesn't Work; 2014 WK2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
cdthiel

2014 WK 

UConnect USB Update Doesn't Work; 2014 WK2

I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I received an email with instructions to do a UConnect update to version 18.45. My current version is 17.xx according to the UConnect folks, however I can't confirm that because my system info screen only says "software license" and does not give the "software version". That said, when I follow the instructions for the UConnect update, the car's computer does not read the USB. (Or perhaps it reads the USB and does nothing). Not sure where to go from here. Also note, my "System Info" screen does not show the usual software versions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
System Info Screen Snap.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

My radio took a couple minutes to finish reading the USB stick and start the process. If your stick has an activity light, you should see it flash. There should be nothing on the usb stick except the four files and they should not be in a folder. I know Fat 32 format works.

Otherwise you may have to visit a dealer, they are suppose to update them for frss.

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 14 Old 11-07-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
cdthiel

2014 WK 

Thanks for the reply. I tried again using a FAT32 formatted USB, as I had been using an NTFS formatted USB previously. Still no luck after waiting for 15 minutes using two different USB inputs. I'm due for an oil change in a couple of months, so I'll probably have the dealer install the update - unless I have some luck before then.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-08-2019, 08:32 PM
OldManBo
2015 WK 

Either format will work. I used NTFS. The downloaded file is a zip file and must be unzipped. When it is unzipped there will be five files but for the update to work there should only one file, swdl.upd. Delete all the files except swdl.upd and the update should work. I learned this on the previous update and it worked again on this one.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 07:06 AM
KeepOnTruckin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManBo View Post
Either format will work. I used NTFS. The downloaded file is a zip file and must be unzipped. When it is unzipped there will be five files but for the update to work there should only one file, swdl.upd. Delete all the files except swdl.upd and the update should work. I learned this on the previous update and it worked again on this one.

My experience was different.

I too had a little trouble getting the unzipped files directly onto the thumb drive, but that's what worked for me. Not "trouble" exactly, but I think it took me 3 times. First I just put the zip-file onto the TD, which did not work. Then I unzipped the zip-file directly onto the TD, which I think copied it to a folder. Still no good.

What worked was unzipping it onto my PC, then copying the files directly onto a formatted TD's root. It also does seem to take a long time for the vehicle's reader to start. It's probably not as long as it seems, but when you're just sitting there waiting, it sure seems like a long time.

It might well be communicating OTA to make sure it's all good, thus the long wait. Mine seemed to work better when I pulled the vehicle out of the garage.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 03:15 PM
johnnyinnh

After failing a couple times before, and after reading this post I had success today. Downloaded the update to my computer, unzipped the files to my computer, and then sent the five unzipped files to a blank USB. Worked like a charm! Thanks for the good advice.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
Gone Grand Cherokees: 94, 96, 98, 00, 04, 06, 13
post #7 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
cdthiel

2014 WK 

Still no luck. My latest try was just the single file on a FAT32 formatted disk. I tried it sitting in the garage, as well as driving around town (running some errands). The odd thing is that although the light on the USB drive is flashing, it is flashing very slow. I may try it on a new USB, as that may make a difference. I don't have Uconnect OTA set up - maybe that's the problem.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-11-2019, 08:37 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Are you using a PC to unzip the files. I’ve heard that the built in windose unzip utility corrupts the files, and third part utilities work better. You need all unzipped files in the USB stick.

post #9 of 14 Old 11-12-2019, 07:33 AM
johnnyinnh

Windows 10 unzip utility worked for my 2017 yesterday.

2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
Gone Grand Cherokees: 94, 96, 98, 00, 04, 06, 13
post #10 of 14 Old 11-12-2019, 08:22 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdthiel View Post
Still no luck. My latest try was just the single file on a FAT32 formatted disk. I tried it sitting in the garage, as well as driving around town (running some errands). The odd thing is that although the light on the USB drive is flashing, it is flashing very slow. I may try it on a new USB, as that may make a difference. I don't have Uconnect OTA set up - maybe that's the problem.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear you're having concerns with your update. Please be sure you're using a FAT32 4GB USB. Our engineering team recommends the Kingston brand.

Alison
JeepCares
post #11 of 14 Old 11-12-2019, 08:32 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdthiel View Post
The odd thing is that although the light on the USB drive is flashing, it is flashing very slow.
A slow activity indicator flash usually means its looking for one of the files and not finding it.

post #12 of 14 Old 12-03-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
cdthiel

2014 WK 

I held off trying again, and asked a jeep dealer today to update the U-Connect software when I took it in for an oil change. I thought (or had heard) that they would do this for free. Unfortunately, they wanted $139 for the update. I passed on that, but I'll still keep tinkering. On my most recent attempt, I downloaded the file to my PC, unzipped using the 7Zip utility rather than the built in extractor, loaded the files to the FAT 32 thumb, but still no luck. Not sure if it makes a difference if it's an 8GB drive vs a 4GB drive, but I purchase a 4 GB drive and it still didn't work. (BTW, have you tried to purchase a 4 GB thumb drive lately? They are almost non-existent.) I will try unzipping directly to the thumb drive, or maybe unzipping on the thumb drive - maybe that will make a difference.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-03-2019, 11:18 PM
Dingo07
2012 WK 

Have you confirmed the USB stick can be read by the system? If you put music on it, can you load from it?
post #14 of 14 Old 12-13-2019, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
cdthiel

2014 WK 

Re: confirming that the memory stick is read by the system. Great idea to check this. Answer is: yes, it works fine in terms of reading and playing music. My GC is an early 2014, build in December of 2013. I'm thinking that it must be an earlier version of the radio, particularly because some of the screens look different - in particular, the one that is supposed to show the software version, but only shows the "software license".

I tried to get my dealer to update to the latest UConnect version (18.xx) when I had my oil changed last week. They wanted $100+ to do this, so I passed on that.

That said, the radio has been updated at least once, prior to Sept 2018 when I purchased it. Apparently it has the latest navigation package also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in