TSB 21-006-13 / Transmission Performance (545RFE) - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
elJeepo_00WJ
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 305
TSB 21-006-13 / Transmission Performance (545RFE)

Just wanted to say this software update is well worth it. I should have done this when I bought my jeep a few months ago. Trans shifts much more smooth and the shifting pattern seems a bit different. Haven't been able to replicate any of the weird quirks from prior to the update. This is on my 2011 5.7 with the 545RFE. I just gave the service rep the TSB # and they added it to the ticket. tsb_wk2_2100613.pdf

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

EDIT- still surprised just how much more responsive this thing handles, it's how I would have imagined a custom tune would perform. The trans is no longer confused when I get on it, definitely shifts different etc. Getting used to it but cannot stress enough how much I suggest you get these enhancements if you are having similar issues.


why is my jeep always breaking???
elJeepo_00WJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 PM
Thunderspud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
This was great timing for me. I was just about to make a new post asking for the information you provided. Seems like every time I'm about to pull the trigger on this, I talk myself out of spending the $125 they want to do it. So....just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write something up. I'll try to report back with my results after the fact. If only to help the next person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thunderspud is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
elJeepo_00WJ
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderspud View Post
This was great timing for me. I was just about to make a new post asking for the information you provided. Seems like every time I'm about to pull the trigger on this, I talk myself out of spending the $125 they want to do it. So....just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to write something up. I'll try to report back with my results after the fact. If only to help the next person.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
It should only be a half hour labor charge which should be approx $67.50, mine was $91 out the door after the theft fees. Make sure to show them the TSB cause it states .2 Hrs for the labor involved.

Even if it's $125 still worth it, glad I could help. If you have any other questions let me know and comment how it works and what trans you have. Hopefully this helps others!

why is my jeep always breaking???
elJeepo_00WJ is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 09:44 PM
Thunderspud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Yeah I am gonna just drop in tomorrow and see if they can knock it out. Good idea on just showing them the TSB. For reference, I have the 65RFE.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thunderspud is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
elJeepo_00WJ
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderspud View Post
Yeah I am gonna just drop in tomorrow and see if they can knock it out. Good idea on just showing them the TSB. For reference, I have the 65RFE.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Reference this chart and see if there is any newer update. The TSB I listed in the original post is the last transmission TSB pertaining to my year GC. There may be something newer for yours though. Please let us know how it works out!

http://wk2jeeps.com/wk2_tsb.htm#TRANSMISSION

why is my jeep always breaking???
elJeepo_00WJ is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 02:54 PM
Thunderspud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
So.....I had the dealer perform this yesterday. At least I think I did....more on that below.

Judging just by the initial impressions, I'm not really sure I can say I notice too much of a difference.

I FEEL like it shifts a little quicker (less time or lag in each individual upshift), but that may just be wishful thinking. I guess the best way to describe it right now is that if someone would have stolen the Jeep, had the TSB performed, and then returned it, all without my knowledge.....I would be hard pressed to say with certainty that anything had been done.

On a related note.....I wonder how common it is for the dealer to simply not perform something like this and still charge the customer? I bring this up because when I dropped the Jeep off for service I asked for a tire rotation and the "complimentary wash" that they have plastered all over the service dept. wall and I can, without a doubt, say that neither of those things were performed when I returned to pick it up. Since I was in a hurry and they were supposedly free I didn't really care at the time. They are for sure listed as zero cost line items on the invoice though so who knows......

Any way to check if a software flash has actually been performed? I suppose the next trip will be to a new dealer to verify if I can't do it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thunderspud is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
elJeepo_00WJ
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderspud View Post
So.....I had the dealer perform this yesterday. At least I think I did....more on that below.

Judging just by the initial impressions, I'm not really sure I can say I notice too much of a difference.

I FEEL like it shifts a little quicker (less time or lag in each individual upshift), but that may just be wishful thinking. I guess the best way to describe it right now is that if someone would have stolen the Jeep, had the TSB performed, and then returned it, all without my knowledge.....I would be hard pressed to say with certainty that anything had been done.

On a related note.....I wonder how common it is for the dealer to simply not perform something like this and still charge the customer? I bring this up because when I dropped the Jeep off for service I asked for a tire rotation and the "complimentary wash" that they have plastered all over the service dept. wall and I can, without a doubt, say that neither of those things were performed when I returned to pick it up. Since I was in a hurry and they were supposedly free I didn't really care at the time. They are for sure listed as zero cost line items on the invoice though so who knows......

Any way to check if a software flash has actually been performed? I suppose the next trip will be to a new dealer to verify if I can't do it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'd try contacting Jeep Cust Service and seeing if they can pull your ticket to verify what work was done. With my trans (545rfe( the update was obvious, for yours it may not be. Did you check to see if there was a newer update for yours? The TSB that covered me was the last transmission update put out for the 545rfe, but it seems as though more recent ones have been released for the 6spd and 8spd.

As far as I know the only way to verify would be to perhaps take the jeep to a different dealer and have them check to see if the current software is installed or not.

What year is your jeep?

why is my jeep always breaking???
elJeepo_00WJ is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 05:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,140
When they reflash the transmission software (or just disconnect the battery), learned parameters are reset and must be relearned. You may notice a difference initially but over 100 miles of driving or so, the parameters will be relearned and the transmissiom may or may not operate differently.

A better OBD scanner or one of the software tools (AppCar, AlfaOBD, others) can read software versions.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 05:25 PM
Thunderspud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by elJeepo_00WJ View Post
I'd try contacting Jeep Cust Service and seeing if they can pull your ticket to verify what work was done. With my trans (545rfe( the update was obvious, for yours it may not be. Did you check to see if there was a newer update for yours? The TSB that covered me was the last transmission update put out for the 545rfe, but it seems as though more recent ones have been released for the 6spd and 8spd.

As far as I know the only way to verify would be to perhaps take the jeep to a different dealer and have them check to see if the current software is installed or not.

What year is your jeep?
It's a 2012 Laredo X. I checked that it was the latest update, and I asked the dealer to verify their wasn't a TSB that superceded it. Although, now that I am questioning if they simply didn't perform it, I suppose that doesn't carry much weight.

I am gonna give it a couple days of normal, day to day driving to see if it's just me being cynical and suspicious after they failed to do the other two things they said they'd do.

As far as just asking Jeep directly, I would assume that since the dealer checked whatever boxes needed to be checked for the service to be recorded and to appear on services like CarFax (I checked it, it's listed as being performed) that the answer Jeep would give me is that yes, they did in fact perform an update.

Regardless, and to be clear, I wasn't really expecting a huge performance gain or anything. I mean, the shifting has been mostly "fine". Yes, the system is annoyingly slow to downshift sometimes while driving around town, and I feel like it arbitrarily decides when/where to waste the power that the Hemi is trying to send it. But (not having anything to compare it to) I can't be sure that behavior isn't normal. I mean, It's been that way since I've had it, and it doesn't seem to be getting any worse/better. These kinds of symptoms/performance issues are so subjective, you know. Really hard to know if I was experiencing the same things pre-flash as you were that prompted you to go have it done in the first place.


Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thunderspud is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Thunderspud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
You may notice a difference initially but over 100 miles of driving or so, the parameters will be relearned and the transmissiom may or may not operate differently.
I feel like this would generally support the idea I have that they either forgot to perform it (it was in the exact same spot when I picked it up as when I dropped it off), or they are shady enough to charge for something they didn't do (although I feel like that is a stretch).

I don't notice much of a difference at all. If it was reset I'd guess, like you said, I'd notice SOMETHING.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thunderspud is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
elJeepo_00WJ
Registered User
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderspud View Post
I feel like this would generally support the idea I have that they either forgot to perform it (it was in the exact same spot when I picked it up as when I dropped it off), or they are shady enough to charge for something they didn't do (although I feel like that is a stretch).

I don't notice much of a difference at all. If it was reset I'd guess, like you said, I'd notice SOMETHING.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I'd take it to another dealer, have them verify the software update was done. If it wasn't done, call previous dealer and demand refund or just charge back since you paid for services that were never fulfilled/and they scammed you. Post up reviews and let people know if they really did.

why is my jeep always breaking???
elJeepo_00WJ is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 07:09 PM
Thunderspud
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by elJeepo_00WJ View Post
I'd take it to another dealer, have them verify the software update was done.
Yeah, that's the current plan. I'll get around to it next week when I have more time. I'd for sure rather not start naming dealers and throwing around any harmful allegations until I'm reasonably sure anything shady actually occured. I'm hoping that I'm just a cynical jerk and it's just my imagination, lol.

Also, I paid cash. No reversing that charge. For various reasons, on that day I had a shiny new hundred dollar bill it in my pocket. Go figure.



Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thunderspud is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 02-20-2020, 03:03 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderspud View Post
So.....I had the dealer perform this yesterday. At least I think I did....more on that below.

Judging just by the initial impressions, I'm not really sure I can say I notice too much of a difference.

I FEEL like it shifts a little quicker (less time or lag in each individual upshift), but that may just be wishful thinking. I guess the best way to describe it right now is that if someone would have stolen the Jeep, had the TSB performed, and then returned it, all without my knowledge.....I would be hard pressed to say with certainty that anything had been done.

On a related note.....I wonder how common it is for the dealer to simply not perform something like this and still charge the customer? I bring this up because when I dropped the Jeep off for service I asked for a tire rotation and the "complimentary wash" that they have plastered all over the service dept. wall and I can, without a doubt, say that neither of those things were performed when I returned to pick it up. Since I was in a hurry and they were supposedly free I didn't really care at the time. They are for sure listed as zero cost line items on the invoice though so who knows......

Any way to check if a software flash has actually been performed? I suppose the next trip will be to a new dealer to verify if I can't do it myself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hi Thunderspud,
I'm sorry to hear that you cannot feel confident in the repairs that have been done to your Jeep. If you do choose to move forward with a second dealer opinion, feel free to send our team a PM for additional assistance during your visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares
JeepCares is online now  
post #14 of 14 Old 02-22-2020, 07:24 PM
dhasselbacher
Registered User
2015 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: California
Posts: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
When they reflash the transmission software (or just disconnect the battery), learned parameters are reset and must be relearned. You may notice a difference initially but over 100 miles of driving or so, the parameters will be relearned and the transmissiom may or may not operate differently.

A better OBD scanner or one of the software tools (AppCar, AlfaOBD, others) can read software versions.
+1 on ColdCase's post. I had the dealer perform a TSB which included a software reflash on my 8 speed transmission in my 2015 Summit V6 about 4 years ago. It took at least a month or so until the car fully relearned my driving style and then I noticed a huge improvement in my rough downshifts from 2 to 1.

2015 Summit V6 in Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat/Black Interior
dhasselbacher is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome