Transmission fluid and filter change $$$? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-22-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
fitterdude
2011 WK 

Transmission fluid and filter change $$$?

Does anyone know approximately what it would cost me to have a Jeep dealership change my transmission fluid and filter? I have a 2011 JGC with the 3.6L engine and the 5-speed W5A580 transmission.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-22-2019, 08:46 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Too much money, not sure changing the fluid is a good idea on an older vehicle, whats the mileage and has it been done before? If you must, I would find and reputable independent shop to do it.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-23-2019, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
fitterdude
2011 WK 

The owners manual calls for it at 120,000 miles. I just got a quote for $350 from a dealership, does that sound about right?

post #4 of 11 Old 08-23-2019, 05:13 PM
newtoncd8
2012 WK 

When I inquired, the dealership quoted $289.99 to drop the pan and replace the fluid.

Last edited by newtoncd8; 08-24-2019 at 12:49 PM. Reason: corrected price.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-24-2019, 05:29 AM
danelo
2012 WK 

I paid $266 about a year ago. Since it is not done often I would definitely have it done at the dealer.

Just so you know it will just be a pan dump and filter exchange. Not a flush, it seems like many manufactures are not recommending flushes.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...ments-1377941/
post #6 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 07:54 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danelo View Post
I paid $266 about a year ago. Since it is not done often I would definitely have it done at the dealer.

Just so you know it will just be a pan dump and filter exchange. Not a flush, it seems like many manufactures are not recommending flushes.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...ments-1377941/
I dont really understand that logic, why would you have it done at the dealer? In my experience they are overpriced and underqualified. If it isn't recall or warranty work I would never take my car to the dealership for work. I guess there are some decent dealerships out there but I have not found any. A small competent independent garage will always get my business, and once you find one you can trust it gives you peace of mind over the dime a dozen dealer techs.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
fitterdude
2011 WK 

I agree with danelo, the dealer may be overpriced and underqualified, but so is every independent shop I've used over the years. At least I know that I have recourse through corporate if there's a problem with a dealer, and that they will use OEM parts. Plus they most likely have seen your problem with the exact same model of vehicle before, probably numerous times, so the experience of that is valuable too, unlike an independent shop that may or may not even have the specialized tools needed for some vehicle specific jobs. In my opinion independent shops simply can't afford to keep up with the technology and complexity of today's vehicles, so I won't even consider them.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 11:54 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its nice to use a dealer when there are future warranty implications, although they are far from infallible. Two month's and 1000 miles after I had one of their oil changes, they said the oil needed changed to fix a oil pressure sender issue. They don't always check their records I guess. Tech said the oil was dark (this oil is dark when fresh). They usually don't know when the oil was changed and what quality it was, so their routine is to change the oil regardless and see if the fault clears.

Of my 5 recent oil changes, I had two done at independent shops I trust. There was no problem after the dealer changes, but after the independent shop's work, the oil filter leaked, making quite a mess. So they are not infallible either. The cost difference was $50 vs $40, not a large number. I don't think you'd find that much difference between independent and dealer transmission or diff oil changes.

So just saying that there are good reasons to have the dealer make fluid changes.

Now for something like a brake service, a~ $1400 dealer service, ~$800 independent shop service with perhaps better parts..... thats a different ball game.

One dealer in our area also owns an independent shop a block away that does good work at reasonable prices. One will often find the same techs working in both service bays.

Some people think I'm stupid and I totally disagree. But my biggest fear is that me thinking I'm smart proves them right.....
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #9 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 02:58 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabjeep View Post
I dont really understand that logic, why would you have it done at the dealer? In my experience they are overpriced and underqualified. If it isn't recall or warranty work I would never take my car to the dealership for work. I guess there are some decent dealerships out there but I have not found any. A small competent independent garage will always get my business, and once you find one you can trust it gives you peace of mind over the dime a dozen dealer techs.
As someone who was a tech at a chrysler dealership your comment of underqualified is wrong. I received better training from the dealership training program than I did at the school I paid $22,000 to go to. The main reason I left that career was because of the flat rate system. Even though they fired me when I gave my 2 weeks notice I still sometimes go there for certain things because I know the service writers and some of the techs. To the OP its not that hard to drop the pan and do the transmission fluid change yourself and save some money. It can be a messy job but not difficult.

1994 YJ (no longer own
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (no longer own)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2

Last edited by metalhead; 08-26-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: add more
post #10 of 11 Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 PM
danelo
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabjeep View Post
I should have added more to my post. The logic behind going to the dealer is so that the correct fluid is used. Yes, there are aftermarket fluids that state they are compatible but to me I want to make sure the OE fluid is used. It is not needed very often so not an issue trying to save some money. I generally do all my own repairs so I do not have a independent shop that I trust.

After the job was done is when I learned that they do not do flushes any more. If I keep the vehicle long enough to where it would need another fluid exchange I will most likely do it at home.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2019, 10:22 AM
Canada1
2011 WK 

I have the same year and same transmission with 80,000 miles on it. Just did partial fluid changes from the dipstick tube with a pump replacing 3 liters at a time (take out 3 liters cold and put back 3 liters of new ATF+4 synthetic from wall-mart) did this 3 times at one month interval. No side effects and fluid is much better and less brownish.Total cost was about $90.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in