Trailhawk skid plates - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 10-16-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Rich Z
2019 WK 

Trailhawk skid plates

I put the Trailhawk up on the lift today to change the oil and filter. While I had it up there, decided to take some pics of the undercarriage. When I was considering buying the Trailhawk over the other GC models, the included skid plates caught my eye. Not that I ever intend to really need them, but heck, you just never know. Better to have them and not need them, then need them and not need them. But I really wasn't able to find any specific info on exactly what plates would come on the Trailhawk natively.

So in case anyone else wonders the same thing, perhaps some pics would be helpful.

I do have to admit, however, that I was a bit surprised that the transmission is not protected at all.

This is with the 5.7 hemi engine, btw, in case it makes a difference.

w6pea likes this.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
5.7l Hemi
White exterior, black interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 03:28 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They are the same skid plates described in the accessory catalog, same ones as used since 2011 but I haven’t seen photos in awhile, buried deep in the archives. Thanks for posting them.

Diagram in this thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...lates-4348909/
w6pea likes this.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Rich Z
2019 WK 

Thanks for the link.

So the factory doesn't believe that the transmission is important or vulnerable enough to include a skid plate for it on the Trailhawk package?
w6pea likes this.

5.7l Hemi

post #4 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 10:47 AM
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
I have a 2wd Laredo and I wanted to protect my transmission from things on the road as well as on the ranch on the weekends, so I installed the Chief Products WK2 Grand Cherokee Transmission Protection Plate - https://www.justforjeeps.com/chief-t...QaAltpEALw_wcB

It is good piece of mind.

Next on my plate is to replace the stock plastic sump protection plate with the Chief Products WK2 Sump Protection Plate - https://www.justforjeeps.com/chief-s...oaAn6OEALw_wcB

2015 GC Laredo

"I've got an appetite for destruction, and I scrape the plate."
post #5 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 11:55 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

FYI, one can get those pieces for less $$ than what justforjeeps sells them for.
w6pea and 09JeepCommander like this.

post #6 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Rich Z
2019 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09JeepCommander View Post
I have a 2wd Laredo and I wanted to protect my transmission from things on the road as well as on the ranch on the weekends, so I installed the Chief Products WK2 Grand Cherokee Transmission Protection Plate - https://www.justforjeeps.com/chief-t...QaAltpEALw_wcB

Next on my plate is to replace the stock plastic sump protection plate with the Chief Products WK2 Sump Protection Plate - https://www.justforjeeps.com/chief-s...oaAn6OEALw_wcB
That sump protection plate would really put a "pain in the butt" layer to changing the oil wouldn't it? Especially on the hemi engine since the oil filter is underneath, not up on top like the V6. But yeah, that plastic one doesn't look too durable to me. Not that I am thinking I will be doing any rock climbing here in north Florida, mind you.
w6pea likes this.

5.7l Hemi
post #7 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 06:25 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

At least one of the metal bellypan shield manufactures offers one with an oil filter access hole. I get my oil change done at a shop and they never complain. Its an easy 10 minute job to remove and replace the shield anyway.

post #8 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Rich Z
2019 WK 

You are a better man than I to trust a shop to do your oil changes. My wife had been taking her Silverado to the local oil change places for a couple of years, not wanting to bother me with it. I told her that was silly, so I pulled her truck into the bay when it was due and put it up on the lift. Tell you what, took all of the cuss words I knew to get that oil filter off of there. I'm not sure how long it has been on there, as possibly the oil change place couldn't get it off neither. I had to actually buy a very aggressive oil filter tool to finally break it loose, and even then I still had to punch a hole in it with a screwdriver to get it started.

Heck, I'm not even taking my new Trailhawk to the local dealer even for the free oil and filter changes.

Speaking of oil and filter changes, I couldn't fill the new oil filter with oil like I normally do when changing it out. I tried to put as much oil as I could in it, but all I did was to make a darn mess when I screwed the filter on that angled fitting. Really don't like the oiling system to have a dry bubble in it upon startup after the oil and filter change, but I can't see any way around that with this vehicle. The late model Chevy engines I've had here all have the filters mount straight up from the bottom. Of course, the V6 in my 2015 Wrangler is even worse. That oil filter has to go on dry.

5.7l Hemi
post #9 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 09:00 PM
09JeepCommander
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
FYI, one can get those pieces for less $$ than what justforjeeps sells them for.
If you can get the Sump Protection Plate, I would be down for that now. How much shipped to 77584?

2015 GC Laredo

"I've got an appetite for destruction, and I scrape the plate."
post #10 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 10:19 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09JeepCommander View Post

^ This. There is no better transmission skid plate. If you never get off the pavement you'll be fine, but the plastic factory piece is a joke. A bad joke.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #11 of 36 Old 10-17-2019, 10:24 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The factory plate is actually a splash shield, not a skid plate.

post #12 of 36 Old 10-18-2019, 02:43 PM
chfin

With regards to there being no factory skid plate for the transmission, it is my understanding, and I could very well be wrong (and usually I am), that Jeep has stopped protecting most of their new vehicles' transmissions with proper metal skid plates for several years now. This was due to the increased fire hazard off-road.

I installed the Chief skid plate for the transmission. It was an easy job, and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for the protection and can afford it. I also recently installed the lower front sump plate as well. I am pretty sure it didn't cover up the drain plug for the oil. Now I have the V6 model. I believe the original poster said he had a 5.7 hemi, and he is right that that is an issue with that model. But Chief has a special version of the plate with an access panel. I wouldn't put the plate on that didn't have that feature. While it is theoretically easy to remove the plate, it is fairly big and heavy, and not the easiest thing for a single individual to be putting on and taking off.
09JeepCommander likes this.
post #13 of 36 Old 11-04-2019, 08:17 AM
paullee01

2018 WK 

Garage
There should be a hard plastic skid over the tranny. Here is a pic of a Trailhawk and the other one is of my High Altitude. They both have the cover. Even though it's not steel it would most definitely protect from debris. Maybe they just forgot to install it on yours?

post #14 of 36 Old 11-04-2019, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Rich Z
2019 WK 

OK, I'm now confused. SHOULD there be a cover that was factory installed when built, whether it be a plastic splash shield, or steel skid plate, underneath the transmission in my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, or not?

5.7l Hemi
post #15 of 36 Old 11-04-2019, 10:58 AM
paullee01

2018 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
OK, I'm now confused. SHOULD there be a cover that was factory installed when built, whether it be a plastic splash shield, or steel skid plate, underneath the transmission in my 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, or not?
Being I don't own a 19 TH I can't answer that in a yes or no! My 2018 High Altitude has it and so did the pic I copied of the TH. (Maybe someone else can chime in) I can't understand why it wouldn't be on yours. This is something you need to ask the dealer.

It's called a Belly Pan Transmission or you can just Google the part # (Part Number: 05182517AB)

https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/...UaAjfOEALw_wcB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in