Towing Capacity (HD cooling option) - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By RenoGuy
  • 1 Post By ColdCase

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
RenoGuy

Towing Capacity (HD cooling option)

I just purchased a 2020 Trailhawk with the 5.7L option. The manual states that unless it has the HD cooling option the towing is limited to #5000. I have looked at my door sticker and haven't been able to see anything related to towing capacity. The window sticker doesn't list out a HD cooling option either. The confusing part is that when I go to the jeep.com site and build up a custom Trailhawk, I can't find HD cooling in any of the available options.

2 questions: Anyone know if it is standard on the Trailhawk, and if not, can I have the deal add that option?

I am wanting to tow a boat that weighs about 5,400 loaded so I think I am ok with wind resistance. It's more of a question of heating up the transmission.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 10:36 AM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

you might be able to put your VIN here and see exactly what (equipment) your car has from its build sheet

https://fcacommunity.force.com/RAM/s/equipment-listing

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 10:42 AM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

HD cooling would include a larger radiator, as well as a transmission cooler if I'm not mistaken. The transmission cooler they're referring to is inside the radiator though so not nearly as much cooling as one would think. Having an external auxiliary cooler added is a must if you are going to be towing, regardless of which automatic transmission you have, heat kills them quicker than anything.

I see nothing on the build site or in the specs even referencing an HD cooling package. Normally if you order a vehicle with the tow package it should come with the HD cooling package, but not always. I'd check with the dealer...possibly input your VIN into a decoder (https://www.farkistan.org/votsws.php) this will let you view the build sheet on your vehicle which will tell you if it has the HD cooling installed.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
RenoGuy

Many thanks! I looked up the options on my VIN and it stated the HD cooling so I think I am good to go. Should be rated for the 7,200 max capacity and be fine.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 10:49 AM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoGuy View Post
Many thanks! I looked up the options on my VIN and it stated the HD cooling so I think I am good to go. Should be rated for the 7,200 max capacity and be fine.
If the build sheet is showing the HD cooling you are good to go. I wish other automakers had a site like that to view your build sheet, so glad Jeep does, its quite helpful, especially on older models where you have no idea what it came with since you are most likely buying from a 2nd or 3rd owner in many cases. That build sheet is what told me that my current Grand Cherokee has the rear factory limited slip....the dealership I got it from just listed it as a Laredo...its actually an SE LOL...oh well saved me a bit of money HAHA!!
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 10:50 AM
woodsy18

Your gvwr sticker in the door frame will also show your max vehicle weight which will show what your max tow will be.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2020, 12:29 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, if it came from the factory with a tow hitch it has the factory tow package which includes HD cooling and trailer wiring along with the hitch. Sometimes HD cooling is not listed separately.

There are two types of radiator fans, the base two speed with relay control, and a larger viable speed controlled by the PCM via a PWM signal. On a V8, HD cooling is a higher capacity variable fan. Everything else is the same, same transmission cooler and radiator. The rear shocks are different if you don't have QL (the TrailHawk is standard with QL) There was a time that they put a V8 radiator in V6s, but I don't think they do that currently. Those that don't like how high the transmission temperature gets when towing heavy add an aux transmission cooler (5400 pounds is not that heavy but you may have wind drag). The transmission is sensitive to oil level, so you'll have to add a bit of fluid to compensate.

The door sticker isn't going to give you tow capacity. Unlike most trucks, if you try to correlate door sticker GVR with tow capacity you will find the numbers don't add up, they derate the WK2. The best place to get the rated tow capacity and constraints is from the owners manual.
jksgvb likes this.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in