Test drove a '16 JGC HA with the hemi...bummed. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-12-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Bman5150

Test drove a '16 JGC HA with the hemi...bummed.

I test drove a black high altitude yesterday. I loved the look big time...bad arse with the black rims. Interior looks great, hemi sounded great, liked the handling. What killed it for me? Two things:

1.) awful seats. I'm a big guy but man those have to be the worst seats in any $50,000+ car I've ever sat in. I even sat in a Summit knowing they see a different foam....still pretty awful. I don't get it. I just can't justify spending that kind of money on a truck that has such poor, hard seats. I know some folks love them, but they were rock hard and the base was so short that I had no thigh support. This was by far the thing that killed my interest in the JGC in general.

2.) Hemi...sounds great but underwhelming in unless in sports mode. Even then, it's not that impressive. I say this because I currently own a 2014 Ford Explorer sport with the ecoboost V6....it's not even close. The hemi sounds better for sure but I'd gladly trade that sound for more power. Eco mode was god awful...I would never drive in that mode if I bought the car.

I'm pretty confident I could get over the hemi not being as fast as I expected but those seats are for sure a deal killer for me. The only thing I'm left wondering is how the srt seats feel. I can't do a new one but maybe a lightly used 2014-15. I'll check one out I'm sure as I like the size of the JGC. The explorer we have is excellent but it's a very wide vehicle. Feels a little big but is still spritely with the ecoboost.

Anyway, would love to hear honest opinions about your seats if you see over 6' tall. Did they get softer? How is your comfort on long trips?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Deadserial

I have a 2015 altitude and have only put about 1000 miles on it's far. The seats are noticeably firm. Maybe more so for me as I'm fairly skinny, 5'10 155lbs. Probably the only thing I don't love about the jeep. Mine are suede which I don't think make a difference either. Sure is nice looking tho!
post #3 of 18 Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 PM
MattXJ
2014 WK 

Seats in the SRT are exactly the same, as far as your comfort issues are concerned.

89 XJ (Ltd): RE 3.5", full leafs, 3/4" coil spacers, RE monotubes, JKS Adj trac, tcase drop, OME steering stab., BFG AT 31x10.5xR15s on 15x8 3.75bs, Borla cat-back
14 WK2 SRT: DiabloSport catch can, Borla S-Type

post #4 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 02:14 AM
Ah673000
2002 WJ 

My brother has a 2014 Explorer Sport like yours, I have a 2014 Jeep GC Overland. He prefers his, I prefer mine. If it fits buy it. The Explorer is a bigger, more car like rig....he keeps his on pavement....the Jeep is well.....a Jeep. Smaller, lighter on its feet....way more fun to drive. The Explorer is a better road car . Apples and oranges.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 05:50 AM Thread Starter
Bman5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattXJ View Post
Seats in the SRT are exactly the same, as far as your comfort issues are concerned.
That's too bad. I was hoping they'd be a little more plush.

I'm not dogging the JGC. I really like it, and expect that some folks like the seats. I just wish I did!
post #6 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 05:56 AM
BigNunz6

2015 WK 

I guess it goes by whatever fits your needs/taste. For me the seats in my 15 SRT are the best I ever had. I love a hard firm seat that doesn't give me that sinking, mushy feeling. Even after 16 months the seats feel like new. In my 16 TH it's exactly opposite, the seats are very soft and kinda mushy but not that bad, it's the only thing I don't like about it. It depends on how much driving you do and if you can live with it or not. Good luck tho..

If you like it, buy it!!!!
post #7 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 06:04 AM
TAWS600

For me I've got a bad back so prefer a firmer seat. I don't mind the seats on my 2011 limited but now I'm curious how the seats on a new HA or summit would feel since they use different foam. At the end of the day, it's all preference and what suits buyers individually.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Actually most folks love the seats, feeling they are the most comfortable they ever drove long distances with. Its rare here to have someone complain about the seats, but there is always an outlier. I think my seats are the most comfortable I've used, not that squishy mess Ferd sometimes uses.

My neighbor traded in his exploder because he loved the performance of the Hemi much better and the handling of the WK2, much better roll on torque and no V6 whine, but then there are preferences. Buy the Exploder, you like it better.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #9 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 08:34 AM
GoPlzGo
formerly 14summithemi

2015 WK 

here's my opine as a '14 Summit Hemi and a '15 SRT (Laguna seats) owner...

seat foam #'s are a guide and a lower number is generally not as dense (ie less firm) BUT the seat covering material (all different leathers) and the stitching/bolstering all have an impact on the comfort.

Originally I wanted an Overland due to the color combos but the lack of the HK stereo option (at the time) and the rock hard seats (my opinion) pushed me to the Summit. The HA and Overland have a #5 seat foam and a stiffer leather which made them feel like complete bricks to me (5'10, 170#) especially coming from my '02 JGC Limited that had complete squishers (but I loved them). Keep in mind that many report these seats break-in some over time and with your size they definitely would. How much for you? Dunno.

My '14 Summit has #3 seat foam and the softer leather so they are extremely comfortable, especially compared to the HA/Overland, but a bit on the firm side which I prefer because it makes them perfect for longer seat time.

My '15 SRT is a Red Vapor so it has the very firm #7 seat foam. That should mean that they are beyond brick hard compared to the #5 foam HA/Overland seats and certainly when compared to my #3 seat foam Summit seats. Guess what? Nope, they are "performance" firm but the bolstering and center suede (gives a lot) combine to make them awesome seats. I am in love with them!

Standard SRT seats have #4 foam and center suede making them extremely comfortable a performance firm to a lesser degree.

So what does all this mean? I am concerned for your final comfort given that you did not like the Summit seats...very few complaints about them...that said, the standard (non-Laguna) SRT seats just might be the ticket for you...

Seat comfort can certainly be a deal breaker so I might suggest that to get an idea fo how much the seats might break-in maybe you should test drive a new Summit and a used one, same on SRT...just a thought.

Good luck...

White '15 JGC SRT Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
post #10 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 12:52 PM
MattXJ
2014 WK 

I have the standard leather/suede SRT seats in my '14, and my first impressions were very similar to those of the OP. After 30K I haven't noticed them "break-in" much at all. The lack of, and bad ergonomics for, thigh support remains a constant. I have learned over time to sit slightly differently and that helps a little. I still find long trips relatively uncomfortable on the lower-body.

The Laguna seats weren't even an option I was willing to consider, for comfort alone.

89 XJ (Ltd): RE 3.5", full leafs, 3/4" coil spacers, RE monotubes, JKS Adj trac, tcase drop, OME steering stab., BFG AT 31x10.5xR15s on 15x8 3.75bs, Borla cat-back
14 WK2 SRT: DiabloSport catch can, Borla S-Type
post #11 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 01:18 PM
rockhead261
2015 WK 

I'm 6'3" and 250#. It took some fiddling with the bazillion adjustments, but I've reached a compromise between comfort, position, and control in my '15 JGC HA. The seats feel firm but I prefer that and my surgically-repaired back doesn't mind at all. Besides, I'm sure they'll soften up a bit after a hot summer and a few thousand more miles. I certainly wouldn't call them the worst seats ever; that title remains with my 87 Mustang LX 5.0.

P.S. My wife, who hates everything, said she LIKES the seats. That's a world-class endorsement.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 02:50 PM
trueblueWK2
2015 WK 

I don't mind the firmness, as my other cars the seats tended to break down on me pretty quickly. I do sit rather upright in them for greatest comfort/sightlines I've found.

'15 True Blue WK2, light frost interior
4x4 Limited, 3.0 VM Motori Diesel
Off Road Adventure II
post #13 of 18 Old 02-13-2016, 06:15 PM
88bradb
2014 WK 

I"m 6"1 and 250.My 14 Summit is the first vehicle I have had with leather seats and one of the things I wasn't crazy about.Leather just don't seem to wear very well long term when compared to cloth.But as far as comfort it has not been an issue.Although they could be a little wider.Not as comfy as cloth but I have not been uncomfortable either.I drove to the Smokey Mnts last year (350 miles one way)strait through,non stop without a problem.Still prefer cloth,especially once it gets 100,000 or so on it but they seem to work fine.
post #14 of 18 Old 02-14-2016, 03:55 PM
GreatDaneLvr
2011 WK 

The seat debate has been a thing with WK2 since 2011. I personally don't mind a touch of firmness in the seat to avoid fatigue on long trips.

On the performance of the Hemi, I guess it's subjective of what the expectations were. My take is the Explorer EB "feels" fast because the sound is synthetically piped into the cabin, even more so as revs increase.

Also- For a turbo 6, gas mileage mirrors the Hemi, at best.

The GC simply feels like a more premium and substantial vehicle, especially Overland and up. If towing(7200 pounds) 4WD is a top priority, the GC really can't be touched in it's price bracket.

2011 JGC Overland Summit Rugged Brown/Saddle OFII 5.7 HEMI
post #15 of 18 Old 02-14-2016, 06:03 PM
kryogen
2011 WK 

I like the firm seats.
Better back support.

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, QD, QL
Nokian Hakkapelita 8 SUV Studded winter tires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in