2Likes
  • 1 Post By mudbear
  • 1 Post By Fast55

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
SaintLauren95
2019 WK 

Swapping Headlight from Halogen to Xenon with DRLs

Hi so I purchased a 2019 Grand Cherokee with the Altitude package last week. It currently has the factory halogen headlamps. I want to swap them for the OEM Bi-Xenon headlamps with the DRL's. I don't know exactly what needs to be done to swap them. I see OEM Xenon headlights on eBay for a good price but not sure if additional wiring is needed to do the swap. If anyone has done this before or has any info on what would need to be done it be would greatly apricated.

Thank you, keep trucking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 02:51 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are several threads on the subject, its a common question of those that purchased altitudes. They have a different wiring harness and software program. The easiest and probably least expensive way to upgrade is to trade for a WK2 equipped with the headlights you want and add the altitude styling touches..

One thing thats changed since the early days is the availability of software like appcar and alfaODB that will reprogram the software. So all you need is the software, PC, ODB interface, headlights, ballast, leveling controller, wire harness (build or fabricate).... something else I don't recall off hand.... maybe the height sensors....

There are $2000 aftermarket kits available that get you close, the LEDs seem to be the hard part to get close to right.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 02:53 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLauren95 View Post
Hi so I purchased a 2019 Grand Cherokee with the Altitude package last week. It currently has the factory halogen headlamps. I want to swap them for the OEM Bi-Xenon headlamps with the DRL's. I don't know exactly what needs to be done to swap them. I see OEM Xenon headlights on eBay for a good price but not sure if additional wiring is needed to do the swap. If anyone has done this before or has any info on what would need to be done it be would greatly apricated.

Not happening. You'd be better off returning it and buying one with the lights you want. It's been explored pretty thoroughly. You'd be trashing a good part of your warranty. I would not recommend it on a new WK. I have seen it done on an older one and you can find videos of it, but that's nothing like a brand new GC.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products

post #4 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 12:30 AM
zeropcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintLauren95 View Post

Pretty easy to do and won't void your warranty like this other guy said. Just keep in mind if won't be covered under your warranty. Take a look at this website to get started, he has everything you need to get going:

mhfautolighting .com (remove the space)

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 07:43 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah thats one of those $2000 aftermarket kits mentioned, less for used housings. The only part of the warranty that would be affected is probably the headlights, TIPM, and wiring. The headlight housings don't seem to be covered anyway.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeropcs View Post
Pretty easy to do and won't void your warranty like this other guy said. Just keep in mind if won't be covered under your warranty. Take a look at this website to get started, he has everything you need to get going:

mhfautolighting .com (remove the space)

Sent from my SM-F900U1 using Tapatalk
So you say I'm wrong and it won't void your warranty, but then say it won't be covered by warranty. I fail to see the difference. This will not void the entire vehicle warranty, but I assure you, anything even remotely involved in powering, monitoring, or controlling the lights in any way, will not be covered.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #7 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 11:58 AM
mudbear
2019 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55 View Post
So you say I'm wrong and it won't void your warranty, but then say it won't be covered by warranty. I fail to see the difference. This will not void the entire vehicle warranty, but I assure you, anything even remotely involved in powering, monitoring, or controlling the lights in any way, will not be covered.
F55, I know youíve had much more than your fair share of issues, and more importantly, inexcusable service. Glad to see itís turned for you.

As far as light conversions and warranty, right after I took delivery of my Ď16 Limited I converted the halogens to HIDís with the kit available from Xenon Depot, ie bulbs (including the fogs), ballast, harness and canbus to prevent codes.

After that I had an issue with the remote start, the infamous tranny lurch, and a couple of other minor issues. Everything was covered by warranty. The lighting conversion as well as the addition of the ESS defeat module in the diagnostic port never even came up.

Lastly, I recently traded it in on a Ď19 at a different dealer. I went thru in detail with the salesman about the mods (some other cosmetic ones too). The salesman said great move as it will help them sell it. The car still had 20K kilometres/2 years powertrain warranty remaining.

No doubt itís possible a certain type of dealer may try to dick the OP around, eg. the kind that would also refuse warranty if holes were drilled into the car for rustproofing, however thereís a lot of good, reasonable ones that will do the right thing too.
zeropcs likes this.

19 WK2 5.7 High Altitude current, gone:
16 WK2 3.6 Limited
03 WJ 4.7 HO Limited
94 ZJ 5.2 Laredo
post #8 of 9 Old 11-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
I don't disagree. I don't think there are too many that would try to blame a conversion like this or a HID kit for say, the alternator failing, but dealers vary. They can assume a lot if you have any type of electrical problems once you start hacking a factory wiring harness. My first water pump was handled quickly and they even did a nice job of cleaning up the mess it made so again, dealers vary.
mudbear likes this.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #9 of 9 Old 11-16-2019, 07:44 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been a couple reports here of overzealous dealers coding a vehicle with oversized tires into the national database. That makes it more difficult to get driveline warranty work at any dealer, FCA can always choose to deny warranty. So it can happen. FCA can do the same thing for modifications you make with Appcar or AlfaODB as late models will always have an unauthorized modification stored. In this case the dealer doesn't have to report it, as soon as their test set gets connected, the state is update in your VIN record. I haven't heard of a warranty denial yet.

Always better to buy a new WK2s equipped with the equipment you want, or it being available in the accessory catalog. Lighting and tow packages are prime examples of complicated changes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in