Start/stop light then Check engine light - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
shortyg83

Start/stop light then Check engine light

So I was pulling into work today. I had auto start stop shut off because there is a line for 15 min to get into my area. After finally getting through my companies front gate my auto start stop light came on and said service auto start stop. Then about 30 seconds later my check engine light came on and the jeep lost all power. I had to shut it off. I restarted it and it ran fine to get me to my parking spot but I have no idea what the problem is. It is a 2017 with 37k miles altitude edition.
Has anyone had a similar issue?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 07:42 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

A fault was detected, which disables start stop. There was a delay until the check engine light came on. You need to get the DTCs read by a scanner, usually done free at a parts store.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
shortyg83

Hopefully I can make it home after work to see if I can get it scanned. Do you think it is possible it could be something simple like a battery?

post #4 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 07:54 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Could be a lot of things. But weak batteries (there are two) combined with a low charge as the alternator struggles to keep up during idling or engine off could drop voltages enough to be a problem..... in theory anyway.

post #5 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 08:07 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
So I was pulling into work today. I had auto start stop shut off because there is a line for 15 min to get into my area. After finally getting through my companies front gate my auto start stop light came on and said service auto start stop. Then about 30 seconds later my check engine light came on and the jeep lost all power. I had to shut it off. I restarted it and it ran fine to get me to my parking spot but I have no idea what the problem is. It is a 2017 with 37k miles altitude edition.
Has anyone had a similar issue?
We sincerely regret to hear about your experience. Are you considering having your dealer take a look? If so, please feel free to send our team a private message if you would like any additional support.
Alex
Jeep Cares
post #6 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
shortyg83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
We sincerely regret to hear about your experience. Are you considering having your dealer take a look? If so, please feel free to send our team a private message if you would like any additional support.
Alex
Jeep Cares
I may have to take it to a dealer. Do you know what the warranty is for the second owner of the vehicle?
post #7 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
shortyg83

I did a little testing. Scanned the OBD but it found no codes or stored codes.
I checked voltage of batteries. They read 12.3 with car off. I did not seperate them, so I guess the next step will be to unhook the AUX battery and check the two batteries seperately to see what their individual voltages read.
post #8 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 01:42 PM
DRKRED12

The warranty remains the same, 3 yrs/36,000 miles unless you purchased an extended warranty.
post #9 of 34 Old 07-01-2020, 02:37 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
I may have to take it to a dealer. Do you know what the warranty is for the second owner of the vehicle?
As stated by your fellow forum member, the warranty is tied to the vehicle not the owner, with the exception of service contracts.
Alex
Jeep Cares
post #10 of 34 Old 07-25-2020, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
shortyg83

So update. The problem had not happened since the original time, but then happened today. I scanned computer immedietly and got code P0300 and P0339.
I just got this jeep a few month ago , I feel like crap about it now.
post #11 of 34 Old 07-25-2020, 08:54 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
looks like a crank position sensor last code, first is Miss fir on many Cyc. leads back to the last code. Not a big deal really.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 34 Old 07-25-2020, 09:07 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Well the P0339 is an intermittent crankshaft positions sensor, and the P0300 is the multiple cylinder misfire detected (even though there are no actual misfires) probably caused by the sensor. The PCM uses variations in crankshaft speed to determine misfire, and bad data from the CPS can throw it off. These can be wire harness problems or a bad sensor or tone wheel. Since its intermittent the most likely cause is a poor connection at the sensor or PCM.

There may be a TSB out on this, but dunno off hand.

I'd have a dealer look at it if still under warranty. Otherwise, if you want to inspect the sensor, you need to get under the Jeep, remove the suspension skid plate if you have one, find the sensor, and push back the sensor heat shield. The sensor itself is held in by one bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 11.03.23 AM.jpg  
BigTizzie likes this.

post #13 of 34 Old 07-25-2020, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
shortyg83

I saw a few vids of people having this issue and replacing the sensor fixed it. So I am going to attempt to replace it tomorrow. Where exactly is the sensor? I read it is on the passenger side but any pictures as to where?
post #14 of 34 Old 07-28-2020, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
shortyg83

Ok so I replaced the sensor. I will let you guys know it is not the easiest to get at. Luckily I had the ratchet extensions to get to it. I took the jeep for a ride after and it seems to be running fine now, but that doesn't mean much since the problem was intermittent. The one thing I notice is the wiring harness that it is attached to look a little suspect. But it was hard for me to get a great look at it because of the location of the harness. Hopefully this fixes the issue because if not I read on another page that those harnesses are obscenely expensive to replace.
BigTizzie likes this.
post #15 of 34 Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 AM
SRT8Em

Glad to hear. Hopefully it fixes your issues.

Always nice to see people tackling their own repairs! Good job!

May also want to look into a Maxcare extended warranty since its only a 17 with 36k miles.
BigTizzie likes this.

06 WK Laredo
15 WK2 SRT
18 Charger Hellcat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in