Splash Guard Recommendations? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-14-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
KCZ

Garage
Splash Guard Recommendations?

I bought WeatherTech splash guards for my new '20 GC, partly because they didn't require any drilling of anything for the installation, and I have to say they're the most pitiful SG's I've ever had. The vehicle, particularly the rear, is continually covered with salt, slop, slush, dirt, and mud. The backup camera is completely unusable even though I wipe if off daily. Are the Husky or Mopar offerings any better? Something else?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-14-2019, 11:22 AM
PwnCall

Garage
What do you mean by splash guards? Mud flaps?

I’ve never had a car that doesn’t have the back completely covered in dirt/salt through the winter regardless of mud flaps or any thing.

Was it worse than before they were installed?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-14-2019, 01:14 PM
Danamr
2019 WK 

That's exactly a question I have.

I've had my 2019 Trailhawk about a month now, and though I'm not in the rust belt, I have noticed the back, (and sides) getting covered by road grime from the wet roads.
A question. Do you notice a improvement, compared to without?
Based on the pictures the OEM looks like it is very close to the Weathertech in coverage, so I would not bother going in that direction. On my Wrangler, OEM flaps helped, but not enough to be worth the trouble. The Husky flaps are more like a truck/rally style, (or something like these: rallyarmor) so should do a better job, but they are a universal solution and I'm not sure I see a way to install them.
I would love to see something like the Teraflex removable flaps for the Wrangler, but don't see a way that could work on the GC.
So has someone figured out a solution that works? (An of course it would be nice to be able to take them off without too much trouble)

post #4 of 8 Old 12-14-2019, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
KCZ

Garage
The mud/salt/slop coverage with these are far worse than any other SUV I've ever owned. All my previous vehicles came with OEM SG's (or mud flaps, if you prefer that name) installed, so maybe this is a general failing of aftermarket products, I don't know. I don't have any non-installation comparisons.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-14-2019, 07:39 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, been a complaint here for awhile, the WK2 tires are wide and pushed out near the fender edge so there is quite a bit of splash. I never had a vehicle where the rear camera stayed cleaner, however... but thats not saying much.

Running boards sometimes help on the sides, but you need fender flares type protection to be effective. Some have installed them. You may be able to find a past discussion but I think its been years since anyone here talked about it.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it.
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 8 Old 12-14-2019, 08:21 PM
Danamr
2019 WK 

How about these:Rek-mesh universal offset mud flaps. From rekgen dot com.
Sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet...
post #7 of 8 Old 12-15-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
KCZ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danamr View Post
How about these:Rek-mesh universal offset mud flaps. From rekgen dot com.
Sorry I'm not allowed to post links yet...
If the width is the issue, I'm not sure these are going to be any better. And yikes, these are $450/set

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah, been a complaint here for awhile, the WK2 tires are wide and pushed out near the fender edge so there is quite a bit of splash. I never had a vehicle where the rear camera stayed cleaner, however... but thats not saying much.

Running boards sometimes help on the sides, but you need fender flares type protection to be effective. Some have installed them. You may be able to find a past discussion but I think its been years since anyone here talked about it.

I always thought most of the slop on the rear of the vehicle was caused more by the plume kicked back and up by the tires rather than being thrown from the sides along the fender. If I'm wrong about that, then SG's aren't going to be effective at all (except to decrease annoyance of the driver behind you).

I just did an eyeball comparison with my Xterra and its OEM splash guards, and while its rear doesn't stay clean, it's still much better than the GC. They have similar AT/W tires. The edge of the Xterra's tires come just to the lip of the wheel well, but the splash guards stick out about 3/4" further. The splash guards are also a bit more vertical, hang down closer to the tires (3.5"), and have noticeably larger lateral and bottom lips (1.5")

In contrast, the GC's tires protrude just a smidge beyond the wheel well, but the splash guards miss covering the rear of the tire by 1/2" or so, hang further from the tire (5"), and have smaller lateral (.5") and bottom (nil) lips.

Interestingly, the cams on each are about the same distance from the ground, but the lower edge of the GC's rear window is several inches higher than the Xterra. This would suggest, to me anyway, that the GC's window should stay cleaner, but that's not the case.

I think part of the problem is that the design of the WeatherTech SG's on the GC is flawed. They need to be wider, hang closer to the tire, and have a larger lip like the Xterra's to keep slop from being sprayed backward.

WeatherTech
https://www.weathertech.com/jeep/201...l/lip-molding/

Husky
https://www.huskyliners.com/Mud-Guar...bmodel/limited

Mopar
https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-gr...rds-p-839.html

https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-gr...rds-p-840.html

I can't find any measurements on the manufacturers' websites, but I think maybe the Husky set might be more effective. The other option would be full-fledged mud flaps.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2019, 10:45 PM
rebiobike77

im still debating if i can order this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Husky-Liner...53.m1438.l2649

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in