So I get a new front end, should I upgrade - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 Old 03-14-2020, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
ISUzj

2014 WK 

So I get a new front end, should I upgrade

Long story short. I got a really good deal on a 2014wk that needs a new front end. bumper, lower and upper, grille, a headlight and a possibility hood..

I am jumping out of my 2005 wk and into this one, so I am new to all of this 2011+platform. is there any advantage to trying to go with a 2015 or a 2017+ front clip? I really like the grilles on the altitude (not the high altitude) edition but I am not 100% sure works?

any advice would be appreciated

Attached Thumbnails
2014wk.jpg  

Can't wait to get started, but my wallet can......
~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 03-15-2020, 01:51 AM
2008OverlandCRD
2017 WK 

Just curious how good of a deal is a good deal on a wrecked Grand Cherokee? How many miles does it have?

2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, platinum pkg, ivory 3-coat, skid plates.
post #3 of 41 Old 03-15-2020, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
ISUzj

2014 WK 

7K for a 2 owner with 70K miles first 50 were on a Lease... I am doing all the repairs myself

~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank

post #4 of 41 Old 03-15-2020, 10:18 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Its a styling question, there are a few discussions in general in the modification sticky thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...index-1325215/ and there was a thread here awhile ago discussing styling refreshes between years and which bumpers are directly interchangeable and those than need a bit of adjustment. I think around the lights are wher they can differ. You can only swap the grills if you want. If you intend to off road, you could consider one of the aftermarket bumper kits. If you shooting for resale, it may be better to keep to the original parts.

Thats has standard halogen lights, right? You could think about upgrading the lighting while at it, but thats probably more than a simple lamp housing swap. It didn't have the optional front radar for adaptive cruise?

Good luck, I'll be looking forward to following what you come up with.

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #5 of 41 Old 03-15-2020, 10:59 AM
jksgvb

$7k is a smoking deal for that JGC. Is it drivable like that?
post #6 of 41 Old 03-15-2020, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
ISUzj

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Its a styling question, there are a few discussions in general in the modification sticky thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...index-1325215/ and there was a thread here awhile ago discussing styling refreshes between years and which bumpers are directly interchangeable and those than need a bit of adjustment. I think around the lights are wher they can differ. You can only swap the grills if you want. If you intend to off road, you could consider one of the aftermarket bumper kits. If you shooting for resale, it may be better to keep to the original parts.

That's has standard halogen lights, right? You could think about upgrading the lighting while at it, but that's probably more than a simple lamp housing swap. It didn't have the optional front radar for adaptive cruise?

Good luck, I'll be looking forward to following what you come up with.

I plan on keeping this for 7-9 years, as I do with all my vehicles, so I am not super concerned on resale. I like the steel bumpers, but being a realist, I don't think I need them. It doesn't have adaptive cruise, I liked the limited but want to keep the bells and whistles down for less to go wrong in the future. I think I am going to keep with a 14-16 front clip, but try to snag some dark inserts for the grille, and get the window chrome black wrapped( has anyone here done that?)

I will continue to research, but it sounds like the factory halogens are just mostly a bulb issue? it seems to swap up to the full LED is quite the $$? since I have to get one new headlight I may as well get the ones I want.

Quote:
$7k is a smoking deal for that JGC. Is it drivable like that?
It needs a tie-rod, got broke in the accident. but as far as I can tell that is it. I will pick it up this week.

Thanks for the replies

~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\

post #7 of 41 Old 03-15-2020, 12:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, its a bit more than headlight housings, lots of recent discussion. Been quite a few discussion on black trim. I understand you can get most of it black from the Altitude parts bins, a couple you'll have to deal with. Off hand I don't recall the detail, but it may give you something to do (if you need anything more to do) while you wait for someone to jump in here.

post #8 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 09:50 AM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
How does the other side look? If I was going to off-roading I would do the steel bumper. Or of I could put one together I would go steel. Too bad Move Bumpers doesn't have a kit for the WK2. It should come together fairly easy.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #9 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
ISUzj

2014 WK 

Alright, I got it in my driveway and got to take a look at it. always a risk when buying an auction vehicle. But I dont think I am too bad off. It does appear I need to tug the passenger side far front corner of the frame over. I am in it now, so no turning back. Does anyone happen to have a picture of the front end of their jeep without the bumper on from the straight front. It doesn't seem that I need to replace the radiator support, but I cant tell if it is supposed to mount flush to the frame or if there is an intended gap, see pics below:

Also I am going to keep the headlights, not upgrade to HID, even though I really like these, I worry about longevity of them.

https://www.carid.com/cg/projector-h...0aAnMWEALw_wcB

Quote:
How does the other side look? If I was going to off-roading I would do the steel bumper. Or of I could put one together I would go steel. Too bad Move Bumpers doesn't have a kit for the WK2. It should come together fairly easy.
I am not going to be doing a ton of off roading, I am planning on a Bilsten Lift (1.5" ) or a RRO and really like the lower guard from Offroad animal

https://offroadanimal.com/wk2-steel-front-bumper

I think the damage looks a lot worse than it is, the casting on the steering knuckle is broke, so I am going to replace that first and get it rolling on its own, then I am going to either chain it up to some trees and tug it a bit, or I am going to run it up to a shop that has been recommended to me... Let me know what you guys think. I am in it now and this is going to be my commuter/play jeep and I plan on holding on to it for quite some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Snap86.jpg   Snap87.jpg  

~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\

post #10 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 06:41 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some of the build and winch install threads have photos with the front off.

post #11 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 06:48 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUzj View Post
... It does appear I need to tug the passenger side far front corner of the frame over...

I think the damage looks a lot worse than it is, the casting on the steering knuckle is broke, so I am going to replace that first and get it rolling on its own, then I am going to either chain it up to some trees and tug it a bit, or I am going to run it up to a shop that has been recommended to me... Let me know what you guys think.
Don't forget all of the airbag systems lurking in there.
post #12 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 06:52 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The 2011 body repair manual has these dimensions, if you need them. The 2014 should be the same or similar. Be wary of crumple zones.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 8.43.21 PM.jpg   Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 8.43.49 PM.jpg  

post #13 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 06:57 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, there is an airbag disarm procedure, which is basically disconnect the battery, wait for awhile, connect the + and - battery cables together for awhile. disconnect them but don't reconnect the battery

post #14 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 07:22 PM
ceb1

Quote:
Yeah, there is an airbag disarm procedure, which is basically disconnect the battery, wait for awhile, connect the + and - battery cables together for awhile. disconnect them but don't reconnect the battery
Kinda-sorta. If everything isn't put back together properly, then you really don't know how that system will work.

Modern cars don't lend themselves to frame straightening via a tree and a winch.
post #15 of 41 Old 03-20-2020, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
ISUzj

2014 WK 

Quote:
The 2011 body repair manual has these dimensions, if you need them. The 2014 should be the same or similar. Be wary of crumple zones.

My Hero, I haven't started looking for these, but they were on my list. I got to get that knuckle on first. and yes I will disconnect and get those airbag sensors dead before I go crazy with any tugging.

~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in