To Skid or Not to Skid - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 04-10-2021, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
Cool To Skid or Not to Skid

My old WK-CRD had a full set of 4xGuard armor.... full skids, rock rails, Matrix...etc.

Now we have this new 2021 GC and I'm thinking about armor. To skid or not to skid, that is the question.
We are getting older and less rambunctious. I was looking at some gas tank skids the other night and shied away at the price. It just goes up from there.

So should I dive into it again, or not. If so, what are the recommendations. Help me Obie Wan Kenobi.

Chirpz
2021 WK2, 3.6L, Factory Towing Package, Electronic Trailer Brakes, Weathertech Mats, Dash Duck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-11-2021, 11:03 AM
sabre364
2007 WK 

Maybe transmission skid and something in the front (lower guard from chief or the like). But realistically the rock sliders are going to be the most useful. Chief, Offroad animal, rocky road are the main options I believe.

2007 WK Laredo 4x4
2020 WK2 Laredo North 4x4
post #3 of 16 Old 04-11-2021, 11:12 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Skids weigh hundreds of pounds, which takes away from your already small payload and perhaps towing capability. You don't want to dig into it unless its a necessary compromise. Skids may also cost you 0.1 to 0.2 mpg and affects handling a little. .

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 16 Old 04-11-2021, 08:20 PM
diverscale

I was in the same dilemma as yours.

I went to Chrysler and bought the Mopar front skid, the transfer case skid and the two fuel tank skids. All for approx 600$ canadian at the dealer (or was it 800, I don't remember.). All of these add less than 100 lbs to the truck, and will make you feel much safer, takes an evening to install. Bring your gas tank to ''low'' before attempting. Pretty good, OEM, thick material enough for people like us, and the front skid even has that oil drain access, so you don't have to take it off every time.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-12-2021, 02:37 PM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Ditto.

I think rock rails would be a huge help too. Just imagine easing your right front tire over a boulder to then slam down on the rocker panel and pinching that vulnerable wiring harness that runs along the sill seam.
post #6 of 16 Old 04-12-2021, 04:09 PM
Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre364 View Post
Maybe transmission skid and something in the front (lower guard from chief or the like). But realistically the rock sliders are going to be the most useful. Chief, Offroad animal, rocky road are the main options I believe.
If you are buying these because you are planning on going places where you actually need them, my vote would be for the Chief products options but then CC's comments do apply, you are adding a considerable amount of weight.

The front sump guard to replace the stock plastic water shield is a good investment for snow or rocks. If you get grounded out or lifted on the front sump guard you have to question if it's a good idea to keep going, backing up and trying a different line may be a better option.

I don't know where you guys drive and this will probably trigger a lot of photos but I can't recall ever seeing a WK2 with any scratches on their rock rails which implies to me they are not really needed.
post #7 of 16 Old 04-12-2021, 08:03 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
The answer is whether or not you plan to actually take it off road. The factory skid package is somewhat lacking. Rock rails from one mfg. or another are mandatory along with a real transmission and front sump guard for anything outside of a dirt road IMHO. This adds 75-85 pounds to the factory off road package and in the real word, practically no penalty for handling or mileage. Like a parachute or firearm, invaluable when needed.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #8 of 16 Old 04-12-2021, 08:44 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Don't get me wrong, not saying its a bad idea to install skids (I have them). But if you are looking for disadvantages, besides that they fill up with sand and mud which are near impossible to clean out thoroughly without dropping them, the weight is a big one. The snow they catch will eventually melt away. Trailhawks have a 150 pound lower payload spec than Overlands because of the skids (you need to look at the door jam sticker for actual ratings). Someone weighed the OEM ones years ago and I think they came in at 150 pounds more or less. Thats a 10% hit to an already marginal towing payload. Add more armor more protection, less payload. Its a compromise.

Lots of Laredos and Limiteds are out there playing off roading without any additional protection and they are fine, although that plastic belly pan is easily shattered. So if one is careful and take lines that avoid body damage, one can manage. If you drive trails where its difficult to not scratch up the sheet metal or want to crawl over rocks or logs, a bit of armor may be a good thing. As mentioned, one really needs rock rails, however. The MOPAR ones are pretty good.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #9 of 16 Old 04-15-2021, 05:46 PM
TXTrailhawk

I'm new to the Jeep family, but I'd say go with a minimal set: Not only does it mean you don't have to worry while off-roading, you never know what random debris will get thrown up from the road and punch a hole in something important at the worst time.

Cheers

2021 Diamond Black GC Trailhawk
post #10 of 16 Old 06-02-2021, 06:04 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
If youíll be wheeling it on anything more aggressive than dirt roads or forest service roads, youíll want skids. The cost to repair damage from the one time you needed them and didnít have them outweighs all else, IMO. If you donít plan to do much, then itís up to you, I suppose.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk ē 08 Silver WK1 SRT8
Instagram @FunkyWK2 ē YouTube Funky WK2
post #11 of 16 Old 06-02-2021, 10:30 PM
KLeeWK
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre364 View Post

I don't know where you guys drive and this will probably trigger a lot of photos but I can't recall ever seeing a WK2 with any scratches on their rock rails which implies to me they are not really needed.
On my first GC (02 WJ), I went wheeling with my friends in the desert and crossing a dry wash high-centered a bit and put a 4" long by 1" deep dent in one sill on my shiny 2-week old Jeep. Rock rails went on a week later.

I put rock rails on my '19 along with a 2" lift and have banged/scratched them several times on rocks on moderate trails - sometimes you have a choice between a bad line and a worse line, and the GC is a lwb beast with a not-so-good breakover angle so it's not hard to do. It's a massive relief not to have to worry about banging up your $40-50k Jeep on the trail.

PS - in my experience 90% of scratches on rock rails are on the bottom surface and are not visible unless you crawl under them and look.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-03-2021, 09:10 AM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Moab, Hot Springs Offroad Park, SW Colorado.
The pic is after wheeling in the mud at SWR down in Llano, TX. Skid right into a rock. It was like being on ice.

My YouTube channel has vids of Moab. https://youtube.com/channel/UC8J3bxNXCLT9g9G0J3nw3Og
Attached Thumbnails
8005EA26-2BD1-4AC6-AAB5-92CA18D8F8B2_1622732904867.jpg  

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk ē 08 Silver WK1 SRT8
Instagram @FunkyWK2 ē YouTube Funky WK2
post #13 of 16 Old 06-07-2021, 03:42 PM
dtrkyman
2013 WK 

Mine came with factory skids, off road adventure package I think? I am off road a lot, mostly mountain trails and some farm road type stuff. Lots of rocks in New Mexico and I have been on some roads I would say were at the limit of the jeeps capabilities.

I have Billsteins up front to take out the rake and 32 inch tires, so not a bunch higher than stock but a little. Zero damage where there would be rock rails, my skids are beat up a bit but not bad.

Main issue with the skids is they are like shovels, the mud really packs in them, after many days going through deep mud in Nebraska I suddenly developed a vibe and noise that sounded like I tore out my exhaust, pulled into a lil shop in a small town(body and paint) and the dude put it on the lift for me to check exhaust.

We found mud caked into the plate and where the drive shaft ran above it, the mud basically had turned into a clay pot! The dude dropped all my plates for me and I bet we removed 100 lbs of mud!

I had this happen with deep snow a couple times, but the snow melts off quickly and the noise and vibe is gone! I would still have them but it is something to watch out for.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-07-2021, 06:01 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post
If youíll be wheeling it on anything more aggressive than dirt roads or forest service roads, youíll want skids. The cost to repair damage from the one time you needed them and didnít have them outweighs all else, IMO. If you donít plan to do much, then itís up to you, I suppose.
^ This.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #15 of 16 Old 07-21-2021, 07:25 AM
indymtb

2020 WK 

Garage
Quick follow-up question on this thread. I just installed Offroad animal rock rails. I have a 6-Monkey sump plate but as I discussed in another thread, I have to do some drilling to keep the wheel fabric in place and don't have time to do so before I leave for out west. I was really surprised when I took the plastic plate off the front. There is nothing there with the V-6. There is literally 1 rubber hose and a very solid sway bar. Each are about 5 inches above the plastic plate. Both are higher than I ever intend to put to the test and front is going to get it way before anything behind the front of the plate would get hit. I went ahead and just put the stock plate back on. I have a pic of it. I feel like with a Trailhawk stock plates and rock rails, I will be reasonably covered for most rocky roads and trailheads (Imogene pass, etc). Am I off-base on the front?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1712.jpg   SkidPlate.jpg  

indymtb
-------------------
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Mods on their way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in