Service for new to me WK2?? - JeepForum.com
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By ColdCase
  • 1 Post By Bilko

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Jim-Mer

Service for new to me WK2??

Hi all, new to forum, with a new to me 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6 w 84k on it. Iím unsure of itís previous service history other than oil / filters.

Are there other things that should be serviced now? Diff / transfer case fluids? Coolant? Transmission?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 10:55 AM
Jd41wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
Hi all, new to forum, with a new to me 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 3.6 w 84k on it. Iím unsure of itís previous service history other than oil / filters.

Are there other things that should be serviced now? Diff / transfer case fluids? Coolant? Transmission?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Yeah id do everything if you're comfortable with working on stuff. I got my 2016 with 70k I changed transmission fluid, front and rear diff, and transfer case. Can't hurt, and ZF says to change the fluid every I think 60-80k miles if im not mistaking. The transmission is a huge pain to change fluid though as the exhaust is right there and you need to pump the fluid in. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 11:11 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The owners manual contains the recommendation, but you shouldn't change anything unless you think the Jeep was used a lot off road with water fording. Most here that change diffs and transmission fluid early find them pristine, but you can check the condition. These are filled with decent synthetic oils.

In spite of your gut feel, early fluid changes have been shown to reduce the life of these components on the average. There are a lot of ways to screw it up and shops don't always use the best oil. If you are going to have a problem, its was built in at the factory.

The transfer case fluid gets changed at 120,000 miles, PCV valve at 100,000, coolant is on a 10 year or 150,000 mile cycle, replace the cabin air filter every 20,000 miles, engine air filter every 30,000 miles, change spark plugs every 100,000 miles. Inspect for leaks every 20,000 miles... replace the axle fluid every 20,000 miles if you off road or tow heavy often. Otherwise don't touch it.
99SK04GTX, 11B-33T and rob3827 like this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2021, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Jim-Mer

Guys, thanks for the input. Sounds like I just need to drive it for now!

Jim
post #5 of 6 Old 10-11-2021, 09:48 AM
Bilko
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Mer View Post
Guys, thanks for the input. Sounds like I just need to drive it for now!

Jim
If you are obsessive about maintenance, it's worth checking the brakes to ensure both pads are making full contact with both sides of the rotors and that the pad wear is even on both sides. The sliding calipers can stop sliding so one pad wedges in the caliper mounting bracket and this results in one pad performing more work than the other or only contacting part of the rotor. This is only usually an issue if the previous owner has used low-end pads that are not made from the best steel and to the same manufacturing tolerances, or if you live in an area where the roads are salted in winter.

I think brakes are quite important so I typically check them out once in a while, usually in the spring after driving through snow over the winter.
ColdCase likes this.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-16-2021, 09:20 PM
Kitra
2011 WK 

Long list

Here's what I do:

Flush Brake System
Flush Coolant
Replace front and rear Differential Gear oil
Replace Cabin Filter
Replace Air Filter
Lubricate Door Hinges
Engine Oil and Filter
Drain and refill Transfer Case
Make sure all 4 tires are worn the same. The Transfer Case doesn't like unequally worn tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in