Service 4wd light - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Emichael

Service 4wd light

Well that didn't take long. "SERV 4WD" light on. 691 miles on the odometer. 2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7, owned for one week. Not even doing anything questionable. The driveway in to my shop is steep with loose gravel. I can get regular vehicles out by gunning the motor a bit while on the concrete, building some momentum and easing up the hill. With the Jeep I put it in 4x4 low (just because I hadn't put it in 4x4 low before) and backed out. Went about 75 feet. Could not get it out of low gear. Got the trouble light. Had to power down & restart the vehicle to get it out of low gear. Plugged in my code reader and got codes C1403 and C140E.

Yes, it is under warranty and I should take it to the dealer. This is the first new vehicle I have ever purchased. I bought a new vehicle because I didn't want the maintenance hassles of a used vehicle. And here I am.... Pretty disappointed right now.

-Eric

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 06:39 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah its a lottery, disappointing. Sounds like a baulky shift rail. Hope the transfer case had fluid in it

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Emichael

Called local dealer. Earliest appointment is not until March 10th. Per the dealer, the 4-wheel drive system and traction control are disabled as a result of these codes.

Really feel like I just flushed $44k down the toilet right now. I really hope this doesn't turn in to a chronic issue where I am looking back on this documentation and fighting with the manufacturer about something that is no-good from day one.

-Eric

post #4 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

They should be able to clear the codes, if you can't. That should get 4WD back until you try 4WD low again.

post #5 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Emichael

Yes, I could clear the codes. But being as this is brand new and under full warranty, I want to leave the evidence as-is and let the dealer handle it.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 11:21 AM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emichael View Post
This is the first new vehicle I have ever purchased. I bought a new vehicle because I didn't want the maintenance hassles of a used vehicle. And here I am.... Pretty disappointed right now.

-Eric
Don't worry. Just make sure you have extended warranty, then once that warranty runs out, get another extended warranty and you will be fine. Once your second warranty runs out, drive it for a couple of more years (hoping that you've had substantial warranty work by then so your vehicle will be semi-new) and then get rid of it.

Welcome to the Jeep Family!

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #7 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Emichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic_Jeep View Post
Don't worry. Just make sure you have extended warranty, then once that warranty runs out, get another extended warranty .... Welcome to the Jeep Family!
Dude! You are bringing me down. LOL!

Yeah, still trying to figure out the extended warranty option. Looks like 8yr/125k is the most I can go. We'll see. I think I have until 12k miles to make a decision.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-26-2020, 03:12 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
I wouldn't worry about anything that is identifiable and repeatable. You have diagnostic codes that will lead the tech to the problem and it will be easy to verify it's fixed. Anything modern is very complex and every manufacturer has warranty.

Every.

One.

After all, God didn't build it. When you start having issues that cannot be replicated, diagnosed, and repaired, that's the time to get upset.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #9 of 18 Old 02-27-2020, 02:09 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emichael View Post
Yes, I could clear the codes. But being as this is brand new and under full warranty, I want to leave the evidence as-is and let the dealer handle it.

Hello Emichael,

If you decide to have your vehicle diagnosed and you feel that additional assistance is needed, please feel free to send us a direct message. We'd be glad to help.

Lamar
JeepCares
post #10 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 05:51 AM
ytqm
2014 WK 

Did you put it in 4Low according to instructions? IE slow movement, shifter in neutral, then hit button. Its possible that it wasnt able to fully engage the transfer case.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Emichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytqm View Post
Did you put it in 4Low according to instructions? IE slow movement, shifter in neutral, then hit button. Its possible that it wasnt able to fully engage the transfer case.
Yup. Not my first 4x4 vehicle. Level ground. Neutral, then hit the button. Click-click, shifted in just fine. Backed out of the shop and up the driveway. Engine RPMs made it clear it was in low, and lack of ruts in the gravel indicated it was in 4x4. Put it in neutral again. Pressed the button to disengage. Got the SERV 4x4 light. Would not come out of low. Inched it forward, put in neutral, and tried again while it was still barely rolling. No luck. Shut off, restarted. Then it came out of low.

I have been afraid to repeat the test for fear of it getting stuck in low. Then the problem is worse and I would have to somehow trailer/haul the vehicle to the dealer for repair.

Thanks,
-Eric
ytqm likes this.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 09:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sounds like a couple sharp turns while in low, perhaps the drivetrain was wrapped up or bound a bit on the turn out of your driveway onto a dry road. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer finds nothing, but its good to get it on record anyway.

By the way, you should not have to use 4Low for your situation. That QD system should work well for you in normal or snow/mud traction modes. Just hit the throttle and go, let the computer do the work for you I have a heck of a driveway that is near impossible to get a run at, and have never had to use 4Low. Slow trails is another story, as its nice to have the torque.

post #13 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Emichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Sounds like a couple sharp turns while in low, perhaps the drivetrain was wrapped up or bound a bit on the turn out of your driveway onto a dry road. I wouldn't be surprised if the dealer finds nothing, but its good to get it on record anyway.

By the way, you should not have to use 4Low for your situation. That QD system should work well for you in normal or snow/mud traction modes. Just hit the throttle and go, let the computer do the work for you I have a heck of a driveway that is near impossible to get a run at, and have never had to use 4Low. Slow trails is another story, as its nice to have the torque.
Hmmm.... So the turn was from the concrete shop floor on to gravel. No pavement involved. And fairly loose gravel at that. The thing is, the first time I did this, I did not put it in 4x4 low. I thought it would engage the wheels as appropriate when one would lose traction. Instead it dug in on two wheels - just like a car will do backing out of the shop if I don't get a little momentum first. Had to go push the gravel back in to the ruts it made.

And you are correct - I did not 'need' to use low. It was every bit a 'I haven't put this in 4x4 low yet, let's see if it works'.

Thanks,
-Eric
post #14 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 10:40 AM
Jurassic_Jeep
2014 WK 

the codes are pretty descriptive, "motor blocked" and "incorrect position", although not recommended to drive in 4LO on grippy terrain, I'm not sure how the user could have done this by that...unless some the "binding" energy was stored in the transfer case gears and was released upon unlocking with an added force. Did the light come on while you were driving OR during the shift to-from 4LO/4HI?

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
post #15 of 18 Old 02-28-2020, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Emichael

The light came on after failing to shift out of 4x4 low. It did not come on while operating in 4x4 low.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in