Seeking Advice - JeepForum.com
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
WiKi2

Seeking Advice

Im looking at purchasing a 2018 Overland with 33k miles on it or a 2019 Altitude 4x4 with 28k miles.

My goal is to use this car for "adventures" and go off road at sites like, deserts, mountains, beaches and such. I am not looking to do any extreme crawling or anything considered extreme, but I am looking to do some above average adventures.

I really like what the overland package offers, I feel it comes with enough options and ability to let me do some adventures without having to invest much money or any since it has the air suspension and terrain selection.

At the same time I know if it was to break down it wold most likely be a costly repair, although I will be purchasing an extended warranty.

Can the Altitude 4x4 be just as good off road? does the terrain selection make a great difference?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 03:55 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You may find some tips in this thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...d-wk2-4376453/

The Altitude may have QTI (no select terrain knob), but lots of folks have fun with them off road. The Overland has QTII which has a two speed transfer case (with 4 Low range) which is better off road.

Two things make more of a difference, driver skill and tires. Most that want to drive more advanced trails would want the 4Low capability just in case.

You can get a MOPAR MaxCare extended warranty that will take you out to 2025 or 2026, that would be your best value.
gspfunk likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
WiKi2

Thanks ColdCase, I drove the Altitude yesterday and it does have the QT1, it does not have the terrain selection option. I was very impressed with its power output, I just wish I could have tested its 4x4 capabilities.

Both the wife and I really liked it so I know I will be purchasing either, the Overland is being shipped to my local carmax for me to test drive.

post #4 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
WiKi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
You can get a MOPAR MaxCare extended warranty that will take you out to 2025 or 2026, that would be your best value.
Do you think this a better option than an extended warranty from my local dealership?
post #5 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 04:09 PM
pjr107

I have not found the terrain selection to be useful, but the ability to go to 4lo is very helpful when you want to go slow to figure out the terrain. I don't know how high the air lift will go but my biggest issue with mine is ground clearance. I have a 2020 north.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
WiKi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjr107 View Post
I have not found the terrain selection to be useful, but the ability to go to 4lo is very helpful when you want to go slow to figure out the terrain. I don't know how high the air lift will go but my biggest issue with mine is ground clearance. I have a 2020 north.

Thanks for your input, this is from google, "The Quadra-Lift air suspension system provides height control and lifts the vehicle up to 4.1 inches from park mode to a best-in-class maximum ride height of 10.7 inches. Quadra-Lift is supported by four-corner air springs that provide a cushioned, premium ride."

with a 10 inch clearance I would think I can get into lots of fun.
post #7 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 04:23 PM
pjr107

4 more inches would help alot I will not say my other vehicle is a Wrangler with a 3.5 inch lift on 35's and does not even think about having issues where I worry about my GC.
But like I said 4low allows you more time to figure the best line. I played with terrain selection but never really used it.

PJ

post #8 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 04:46 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are a lot of guys that off road with QTII and have never switched to 4Low. I use 4Low when maneuvering a trailer on slippery surfaces, much more control. The Altitude has Brake Traction Control, so it is going to stop wheel spin. Its just not as efficient and predictable as a true 4WD. Driving aggressively in sand or mud will heat up QTII clutches, QTI brakes. Brakes are less money to fix. 4Low is splined directly, no clutches involved.

I use QL quite a bit, however. But then, an advantage of the Altitude is that spring lift kits are available that will give you full time ground clearance and also makes it easier to fit larger tires. The kits cost about as much as one repair of the QL air suspension.

Last I checked the MOPAR plans are best by far as the dealer just fixes things without hassle, and the dealer probably has techs familiar with the WK2. You can buy these online at several discount dealers. Once you get to 120,000 mi, I hear they may start balking with wear items like bushings.

The Altitude probably doesn't have roof rails to attach cross bars to, if thats important. You can add them however. The modification sticky has a few tips.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #9 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 04:49 PM
2014RedHemiGC

2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKi2 View Post
Do you think this a better option than an extended warranty from my local dealership?
Without a doubt the genuine factory extended warranty is safer and usually has less conflicts when it comes time to cover a repair than a third party plan offered by the dealer at a much greater profit for them.

2014 Deep Cherry Red GC 4X4 V8 QDII
2012 Crystal Red Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
2011 Crystal Red Chevy Corvette Z06/Z07
post #10 of 62 Old 09-05-2021, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
WiKi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There are a lot of guys that off road with QTII and have never switched to 4Low. I use 4Low when maneuvering a trailer on slippery surfaces, much more control. The Altitude has Brake Traction Control, so it is going to stop wheel spin. Its just not as efficient and predictable as a true 4WD. Driving aggressively in sand or mud will heat up QTII clutches, QTI brakes. Brakes are less money to fix. 4Low is splined directly, no clutches involved.

I use QL quite a bit, however. But then, an advantage of the Altitude is that spring lift kits are available that will give you full time ground clearance and also makes it easier to fit larger tires. The kits cost about as much as one repair of the QL air suspension.

Last I checked the MOPAR plans are best by far as the dealer just fixes things without hassle, and the dealer probably has techs familiar with the WK2. You can buy these online at several discount dealers. Once you get to 120,000 mi, I hear they may start balking with wear items like bushings.

The Altitude probably doesn't have roof rails to attach cross bars to, if thats important. You can add them however. The modification sticky has a few tips.
Sounds like I have a lot to think about, the Overland is also fully loaded with all the bells and whistles and its only 1.5k more than the altitude.

Carmax does offer a 30 day return period so that might come in handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014RedHemiGC View Post
Without a doubt the genuine factory extended warranty is safer and usually has less conflicts when it comes time to cover a repair than a third party plan offered by the dealer at a much greater profit for them.
they are a lot more affordable as well from the prices im seeing.
post #11 of 62 Old 09-06-2021, 10:20 PM
gspfunk

2019 WK 

Garage
I also highly recommend buying one with 4 low. The Offroad Adventure II package would also give you skids and a eLSD which can be locked in 4 low (in Rock Mode, for example). If you want to see what they’re capable of, I have several vids on our YouTube channel.

MaxCare is the only way to go. Aftermarket warranties often use reman’d parts, which causes issues further down the road. Chryslerfactoryplans has great pricing and was $100 less than what we haggled out of the dealer.

19 Sting-Gray WK2 Trailhawk • 08 Silver WK1 SRT8
Instagram @FunkyWK2 • YouTube Funky WK2
post #12 of 62 Old 09-07-2021, 10:58 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

I'm biased but the Overland is awesome - just added better tires to the 18 inch wheels and Mopar rock rails. Nothing else required.
IDoMy0wnRacing likes this.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #13 of 62 Old 09-07-2021, 01:28 PM
Bilko

The Altitude version is a styling package the Overland has all the features you need for your adventures. Go for the Mopar extended warranty but look at online purchase options, you can often get a much better deal than your dealer will offer you. You don't have to buy the extended warranty at the same time you buy the vehicle.

Just be careful, the Overland is a very capable vehicle that can result in you getting stranded in the middle of nowhere rather than on the easy trails Plan to use 75% of the capability for normal use so you have some extra capabilities to get you home when the unexpected happens.

Whatever WK2 you choose I am sure you are going to enjoy it and create some great family memories.
post #14 of 62 Old 09-07-2021, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
WiKi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspfunk View Post
I also highly recommend buying one with 4 low. The Offroad Adventure II package would also give you skids and a eLSD which can be locked in 4 low (in Rock Mode, for example). If you want to see what they’re capable of, I have several vids on our YouTube channel.

MaxCare is the only way to go. Aftermarket warranties often use reman’d parts, which causes issues further down the road. Chryslerfactoryplans has great pricing and was $100 less than what we haggled out of the dealer.
Your videos are very cool and what the WK2 can do is extremely impressive!!

Thanks for your advice
post #15 of 62 Old 09-07-2021, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
WiKi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferntree View Post
I'm biased but the Overland is awesome - just added better tires to the 18 inch wheels and Mopar rock rails. Nothing else required.
I cant wait to get it, it does have 20in wheels so that's going to be my first mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
The Altitude version is a styling package the Overland has all the features you need for your adventures. Go for the Mopar extended warranty but look at online purchase options, you can often get a much better deal than your dealer will offer you. You don't have to buy the extended warranty at the same time you buy the vehicle.

Just be careful, the Overland is a very capable vehicle that can result in you getting stranded in the middle of nowhere rather than on the easy trails Plan to use 75% of the capability for normal use so you have some extra capabilities to get you home when the unexpected happens.

Whatever WK2 you choose I am sure you are going to enjoy it and create some great family memories.
Thank you very much, I look forward to joining the Jeep Family.
IDoMy0wnRacing likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in