Security... theft proof?? - JeepForum.com
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-07-2021, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Nguynu2401

Security... theft proof??

I was up until 2 days ago the owner of a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7. I can honestly say that I loved my jeep!! As I'm sure most of you do as well. Less than 2 days ago my vehicle was stolen from my driveway. We have narrowed it done to 1:30 to 5:30 am. Yes it was a very light area, under a street lamp and my house as perimeter lights . The car was locked and I have never had a an issues.

We thought that we lived in a "safe" area. Which as far a physical harm no issues but come to find out this area has the highest vehicle thefts in the area.

So I will fast forward to today and my reason for posting this thread.

WE found our selves at a car dealer today. We sat in numerous cars, suv's, trucks and to be honest. We were NOT HAPPY!! We researched to death in 2017 and found that the Grand Cherokee was for us.

We still feel that it's still the vehicle for us.

What are the chances it gets stolen again???
Is there a way to make it theft proof??
Is there after market items that you would recommend over another?

Any help from you, my fellow Jeep people,

Regards,

Nate

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-07-2021, 07:50 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Nothing and I mean nothing, is "theft proof". It's simply a matter of how skilled and determined the thieves are. Even if the vehicle is completely disabled through some aftermarket means, they will just tow it away if they want it bad enough and the opportunity presents itself. That said, I have no reason to believe the WK2 is particularly vulnerable.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #3 of 24 Old 10-07-2021, 07:58 PM
Homer1

Sorry for your loss....been there....
smokeythecat likes this.

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)

post #4 of 24 Old 10-07-2021, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Nguynu2401

Has anyone used the "boot" or "club"? Any after market or factory installed security alarm recommendations? I only ask because all the recent vehicle searching I still keep coming back to the good ole' Grand Cherokee. I just hate to see this happen again... Insurance company would hate that too!! I was told by the police that if you key fob is within 30 feet they can "duplicate" or "clone" the frequency and literally just drive off in less than a minute.
fool me once....Fool me twice....you know the rest
post #5 of 24 Old 10-07-2021, 09:02 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

If you want to discourage drive offs, use one of those steering wheel locks. There's a brand that is discussed often in higher value car forums, don't recall it off hand. Folks also use faraday shields on their FOBs.

There are wireless cameras that record over the web that will record your vehicle being taken.

If they want the jeep bad enough they pull it onto a flatbed (or enclosed box truck, trailer) and drive off. I dunno if a WK2 is valuable enough for that to be worth the risk. They can use tow trucks with traffic enforcement markings, so boots aren't that useful.

Edit: Disclok is the brand.... then park the jeep where its not easily loaded on a flat bed... for added drive off protection install a 'Ghost' immobilizer, whereby the car cannot be started until a user set sequence of interior buttons are pressed - a sort of PIN. For example, unlock, get in, press heated seat button, activate cruise button and radio button 4. This is also useful for preventing mall parking lot thefts. Faraday pouches/tins offer little protection to the pros.

A security camera, working or not, pointed at the Jeep may be some deterrent to amateurs.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #6 of 24 Old 10-08-2021, 09:00 AM
ferntree

2014 WK 

Sorry to hear....keep your keys in a scanproof pouch. Scumbags use code scanners to scan your key from outside your house, or anywhere else, start it up and be gone in twenty seconds. Your key sends out a constant signal, not just when you use it. Start your car, and put the key straight back in the pouch. Some of the pouches on Amazon etc. are not very good. There are also hard sided cases available, I think https://hyperyion.com/ is one of the better ones, but I have not used one yet. Good luck.
smokeythecat likes this.

2014 Overland Oiler, ORII, QD, Granite/Indigo Blue, Mopar rock rails, Continental All Terrains.
post #7 of 24 Old 10-08-2021, 11:13 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I hear that Faraday pouches (scan proof) now offer little protection. Recent improvements in scanner hardware that the more competent gangs use will easily defeat them or the so called tins.

So the effectiveness depends on how sophisticated the local gang shopping the neighborhood are. They typically are looking for the easier targets, so some kind of obvious physical challenge will have them shopping elsewhere.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 24 Old 10-09-2021, 10:21 AM
11B-33T

2016 WK 

Suggest the classic Mad Max theft deterrent:

11B-33T
- 2016 WK2 Grand Cherokee Limited
- 2005 Ford Escape XLT AWD
- 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee SE
post #9 of 24 Old 10-09-2021, 01:37 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

Sorry to hear about your loss, I would be gutted if scumbags stole my Jeep.

Do you know how it was stolen, driven away or towed? If you have guys towing away vehicles in your area, it's tough to protect your vehicle if you can't park it in a garage with an alarm.

I am not convinced the scanner approach is that common, usually bad guys break into homes to steal the key fob or they have an inside guy at a dealership that can clone keys as long as they have the VIN. On later vehicles, this is more difficult because the new keys have to be paired with the vehicle but there are ways around this.

The other issue with any proximity-based key fob is where you keep your key, this is particularly important if you live in a smaller property or your garage is close to where you keep your key. For example, my garage is close to the bedroom because of the layout of the house, if I leave my key on the bedside table it's close enough that the car can be opened and started, you get the key has left the vehicle warning as you drive off but the vehicle will keep running until you hit the stop button.

I grew up in the UK during the 80's when car theft was rampant because the vehicles of that era were so easy to steal, all a thief needed was a screwdriver and a piece of steel tube to break off the column-mounted steering lock, I had to resort to a removable, race car steering wheel and a covert battery isolator, the ones with a big red key that were a requirement for most forms of motorsport at that time.

If you think a drive-away theft is a real risk, the battery isolator option is still worth considering. The problem is that with modern cars, disconnecting the battery will reset some ECU and other system settings. I have one under the seat on top of the battery compartment but only use it if I am parking somewhere really dodgy or not planning to use the vehicle for a while. I hope no bad guys are reading this!!

Another option is to pull the fuel pump relay but this is not the most convenient option on a WK2 because everything is under the hood. If you are handy with wiring you can insert a switch into the fuel pump relay power feed and extend it to the front grill so you don't need to open the hood.

Usually, it's more secure to have a homebrew solution because any experienced car thief will know how to defeat most commercial, off-the-shelf systems.

If you have to park your vehicle on your driveway or on the street, a security camera and motion-activated lights such as a Ring can be a cost-effective deterrent.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-12-2021, 06:10 PM
[email protected]
2014 WK 

I don't remember the brand name, but you can buy a transmitter that you conceal in your car somewhere and they can track it's location if it is stolen
post #11 of 24 Old 10-12-2021, 06:11 PM
[email protected]
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I don't remember the brand name, but you can buy a transmitter that you conceal in your car somewhere and they can track it's location if it is stolen
LoJack?
post #12 of 24 Old 10-12-2021, 06:15 PM
seth12137
2003 WJ 

Find a fuse that you can remote mount and pull...like IGN or fuel...or put a switch in between the starter wire and locate in the cabin.

Nothing stops a flatbed or quick tow.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-12-2021, 06:40 PM
Arjay
2004 WJ 

So the chipped key I have on my 2004 WJ is an easy workaround? I thought it killed the engine after 3 attempts with a non chipped key.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-12-2021, 09:46 PM
binki60

The Jeep Grand Cherokee is number 4 on the list of the top ten stolen vehicles in the US……
post #15 of 24 Old 10-12-2021, 09:48 PM
binki60

Here’s the list…
Attached Thumbnails
157B4F94-E696-435D-B155-1BA6901A94DC_1634093264359.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in