Rough Country White/Amber DRL Pod Lights - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blaster9

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 04-02-2020, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
blaster9
2019 WK 

Rough Country White/Amber DRL Pod Lights

Hey guys, I have these coming in the mail tomorrow and need some help with wiring: 2-inch Square Cree LED Lights - (Pair | Black Series w/ Amber DRL)

The kit (pic attached) comes with a 3-position rocker switch (1: amber leds on; 2: white leds on; 3: all off) but I'd like to use a wireless setup similar to what some others have done with a typical on/off 2-button setup. Does anyone know where I can purchase a wireless relay/remote that would be compatible with this kit since it uses a 3-position rocker?

Alternatively, I'd like to wire the amber leds to come on automatically with DRLs (I already fuse-tapped some amber button lights that come on with DRLs [see pics] so I suppose I can use that wire), and then use a 2-position switch for the white leds (on/off). Does anyone know how I would splice the Rough country wiring in order to accomplish this?

Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 11.42.35 AM.jpg   IMG_8502.jpg   IMG_8501.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-02-2020, 05:45 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
If you already have a lead for the DRL lights, use that to run a relay to run the amber function of the pods.

I would personally skip the wireless switch and buy a good rocker switch instead. The wireless ones work ok, but I found the signal on it from inside the vehicle kind of mediocre.

If you want to run it off of a single on/off switch, use a relay. Run the input signal to pin 30, amber drl output through 87a (NC), and white through 87 (NO). That way when you switch to white it will turn off the amber function automatically

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #3 of 13 Old 04-02-2020, 06:48 PM
ceb1

There are a couple of reasons that you don't want to tie this into your DRLs:
1 - You could cause yourself electronic woes and warranty issues (if under warranty)
2 - Running these light is a violation of the vehicle lighting laws and get you a ticket or fail periodic inspection.

It is far better to wire them separately

post #4 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 10:03 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb1 View Post
There are a couple of reasons that you don't want to tie this into your DRLs:
1 - You could cause yourself electronic woes and warranty issues (if under warranty)
2 - Running these light is a violation of the vehicle lighting laws and get you a ticket or fail periodic inspection.

It is far better to wire them separately
If that circuit is PWM, a capacitor link after the tee, into the relay would solve that.

Yes in many jurisdictions that is illegal, but many people also don't care. Depending on the brightness of the amber function, no one may notice or care. If they are quite bright, then being able to turn them on or off at will would be a wise choice

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #5 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 10:38 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
If that circuit is PWM, a capacitor link after the tee, into the relay would solve that.

Yes in many jurisdictions that is illegal, but many people also don't care. Depending on the brightness of the amber function, no one may notice or care. If they are quite bright, then being able to turn them on or off at will would be a wise choice
Every modern car has a fragile electrical system once you splice into anything and can certainly be an issue for warranty issues.

From a reliability aspect, it is always better to run a separate circuit.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
blaster9
2019 WK 

So to clarify, I didnt splice into the actual DRLs. What I did is I fuse-tapped a 10A fuse in the fusebox that's off when car is off and always on when the car is on so, in essence, they act like DRLs.

Do you guys see any problem with that? I dont think running amber LEDs in the grill is an issue here in Florida (at least I hope not lol because I just added 2 more last night!)
post #7 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 12:56 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Depends on the officer you come across. A lot of lights may bring attention to yourself, and give them a reason to stop you to find out if you are doing something stupid

Are these considered marker lights? One sees quite a few amber marker lights on big rigs, pickups, good samaritan rescue vehicles. Additional amber color marker lights are not usually a problem. Flashing lights could be, however, unless you have a good reason to draw attention to yourself (towing, helping a stranded motorist, animal rescue, snow plowing). We always throw extra marker lights on our plow rigs, plow much mud in Florida? .

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 04:05 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaster9 View Post
So to clarify, I didnt splice into the actual DRLs. What I did is I fuse-tapped a 10A fuse in the fusebox that's off when car is off and always on when the car is on so, in essence, they act like DRLs.

Do you guys see any problem with that? I dont think running amber LEDs in the grill is an issue here in Florida (at least I hope not lol because I just added 2 more last night!)
As far as the tap goes, I don't like drawing power from there to run something. However, if you're just using that to trigger a relay that draws power from the battery, that's just fine in my books.

I have no idea what the laws are in Florida for forward facing lights.

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #9 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 09:54 PM
ceb1

From the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards 108. In short - not legal. Will you get stopped? Who knows?

Bolding is mine

DRLs are not required in the US, but if they are present, then they need to comply with this standard. A state cannot have a different standard, but they can choose not to enforce (or check for) a requirement in the Standards.

S6.1.1.4 Daytime running lamps. Any pair of lamps on the front of a passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, truck, or bus, whether or not required by this standard, other than parking lamps or fog lamps, may be wired to be automatically activated, as determined by the manufacturer of the vehicle, in a steady burning state as daytime running lamps (DRLs) in accordance with S7.10.5.

S6.5.2 DRL marking. Each original equipment and replacement lamp used as a daytime running lamp (DRL), unless optically combined with a headlamp, must be permanently marked “DRL” on its lens in letters not less than 3 mm high.

S14.2.4.1 Each DRL is tested to the procedure of S14.2.5 when a test voltage of 12.8 v 20 mv is applied to the input terminals of the lamp switch module or voltage-reducing equipment, whichever is closer to the electrical source on the vehicle.
S14.2.4.2 The test distance from the lamp to the photometer is not less than 18.3 m if the lamp is optically combined with a headlamp, or is a separate lamp, and not less than 3 m if the lamp is optically combined with a lamp, other than a headlamp, that is required by this standard.
S14.2.4.3 Except for a lamp having a sealed-in bulb, a lamp must meet the applicable requirements of this standard when tested with a bulb whose filament is positioned within .010 in. of the nominal design position specified in SAE J573d, Lamp bulbs and Sealed Units, December 1968, (incorporated by reference, paragraph S5.2 of this section) or specified by the bulb manufacturer.

Daytime Running Lamps Permitted But Not Required on Passenger Cars, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles (MPV), Trucks, and Buses Daytime running lamp (DRL) 2 identically colored either white, white to yellow, white to selective yellow, selective yellow, or yellow On the front, symmetrically disposed about the vertical centerline if not a pair of lamps required by this standard or if not optically combined with a pair of lamps required by this standard Not more than 1.067 meters above the road surface if not a pair of lamps required by this standard or if not optically combined with a pair of lamps required by this standard
See S7.10.13(b) for additional height limitation. Steady burning.
Automatically activated as determined by the vehicle manufacturer and automatically deactivated when the headlamp control is in any “on” position.
Each DRL optically combined with a turn signal lamp must be automatically deactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is activated, and automatically reactivated as a DRL when the turn signal lamp or hazard warning lamp is deactivated.
See S7.10.10.1(c) for additional activation requirements when mounted close to, or combined with, a turn signal lamp.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-03-2020, 09:57 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

What do they say about marker lights?

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #11 of 13 Old 04-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
So, according to this: http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/0316.233
You can have two auxiliary spot lights or driving lights as long as they are mounted between 16" and 42" from the road surface.

According to this: http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/316.237
Those lights need to be selectable (so, individual switches), and can only be used when not blinding incoming traffic.

So, sure, as DRL they probably aren't legal, unless you want to do the complicated wiring to have the amber function turn off with the headlights or a signal light. However, the amber function is very dim (it is actually designed to be a DRL), so really, you could probably get away with it. As far as mounting and using them in appropriate conditions, you're good.

Your most legal route is to use that "on with ignition" lead that you've tapped into, use that as the power supply for relays, use switches (whether wireless or hardwired) to control the amber and white functions independently. From my interpretation, that would make them completely legal depending on you operating the switches at the appropriate times (no oncoming traffic).

Truly the choice is yours. Let me know what you choose to do and I can draw up a wiring diagram for you

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
post #12 of 13 Old 04-04-2020, 09:41 AM
ceb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
What do they say about marker lights?
Clearance lights are only authorized on trucks.

Here's the full reg.
post #13 of 13 Old 04-05-2020, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
blaster9
2019 WK 

You guys got me spooked so I opted to put them on my side x side lol! I think 8 amber marker lights in my grill is more than enough haha1852ca49-58b3-44d2-8118-25ece1a7933d_1586133088367.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
90D4E02D-483A-4664-B0BC-A141A4A550AC_1586133069418.jpg   DEF5A823-DF5B-45F6-9829-5D80C319B7BD_1586133121493.jpg  
WK2011 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in