Rough Country Tow Hook install on WK2 - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 04-24-2021, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
shavez00

Rough Country Tow Hook install on WK2

I'm starting to modify my WK2 and started with some tow hooks from rough country that I bought off of Amazon. They were fairly cheap and easy to install.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-24-2021, 10:48 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I hear the OEM hooks are strong, can take a lot of abuse without bending the rails, if you have all the brackets. Has anyone checked the strength of these and how they mount, especially when pulled from an off center angle?.
kland309 likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 35 Old 04-27-2021, 04:33 AM
bts_wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavez00 View Post
I'm starting to modify my WK2 and started with some tow hooks from rough country that I bought off of Amazon. They were fairly cheap and easy to install. I made a how to video. Would love feedback!

https://youtu.be/Ggx-BpaxqX4
as per amazon description and some reviews this RC tow hook only fits 2015-2019 model. but as per your video it's perfectly fit for 2013 as well without any problem

post #4 of 35 Old 04-27-2021, 07:55 AM
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shavez00 View Post
I'm starting to modify my WK2 and started with some tow hooks from rough country that I bought off of Amazon. They were fairly cheap and easy to install. I made a how to video. Would love feedback!

https://youtu.be/Ggx-BpaxqX4
Thanks, that looks great. I wish they had chrome, or maybe black. Red wouldn't look right on my 2012 Gray Overland.

2021 Summit L 4X4 Bright White/Steel Gray, 3.6 , ProTech IV, Lux Tech V.
post #5 of 35 Old 04-29-2021, 12:00 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

The front subframes are the same on all WK2s so these should fit any model year. The reason for the model year range could be down to the openings in the front bumper.

Also, consider how you expect to use these, they are mounted using the two M10 bolt holes whereas the OEM parts mount using a different, more substantial mounting point further back on the subframe, see the photo. They should be fine for dragging out of a snowbank or less challenging off-road recovery situations but if you expect to need a snatch tow out of deep mud or sand I would be concerned about the mountings.

That said I have ordered some just to see what they are like and because they look cool:-) Isn't this is why most people buy them?
Attached Images

post #6 of 35 Old 04-29-2021, 07:43 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

Ok so I got them from Amazon and it's literally a 10-minute install. This is how to do it;

Take off the lower bumper cover by releasing the 1/4 turn fasteners and pull. The owner's manual provides more details on how to do this.

Remove the blanking plates by releasing the two plastic push rivets on each cover, a simple trim tool makes this easier. This is based on a 2012, other model years may be different.

Remove the bolts from the front of the sump shield using a 10mm socket and then the two on each side that connects the sump shield to the wheel arch liners, when replacing these be careful not to over-torque because the bolts are only screwing into pressed sheet metal fastenings on the wheel arch liners.

Unless you have an aftermarket metal sump guard, you don't need to undo the M8/13mm head bolts that hold the rear of the sump shield on, just lower the front to get access to the M10 holes in the subframe.

Bolt the tow hooks on, I found it easier to insert the front bolt first and tighten it finger tight then insert the rear fastener and finally torque them to 32 ft/lb, Then it's just a case of putting everything back together, and you are done. I used thread lock on the M10 bolts but that's probably something I do out of habit rather than need.

I didn't have any problems accessing the mounting bolts due to the windscreen washer reservoir as the other OP posted, maybe it's different on a V8?

Tools you need are a 3/8" ratchet and 4 or 6-inch extension bar, 10mm and 17mm sockets, and a torque wrench. If you are using a 3/8" ratchet it's unlikely you can over-torque an M10 bolt so you don't really need a torque wrench. If you are using a longer 1/2" rachet you need to be a bit more careful or use a torque wrench. you can pick them up from Harbor Freight for less than $20 so no big deal.

If you have an extended reach, air, or battery-powered ratchet you could potentially do this without removing the lower bumper
Attached Thumbnails
Tow Hook Covers.jpg   RC Tow Hooks.jpg  
19GCTrailhawk likes this.
post #7 of 35 Old 06-05-2021, 08:30 PM
gt942nv00

The rough country hooks fit perfect on my 2020 Altitude even though it only lists 2015 - 2019.
post #8 of 35 Old 06-06-2021, 11:21 PM
bts_wk2

fit to 2012 WK2

though listed to fit only to 2015-2019 in Amazon, it perfectly fit to my WK2 2012, without any problem.
Remove front facia and remove the original tow hook mounting, and use 2 bolt hole to fix this RC red tow hook. with $99 price it's much cheaper and prettier than the Mopar OEM hook
Attached Thumbnails
towhook_RC.jpg  
19GCTrailhawk likes this.
post #9 of 35 Old 06-07-2021, 09:34 AM
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts_wk2 View Post
though listed to fit only to 2015-2019 in Amazon, it perfectly fit to my WK2 2012, without any problem.
Remove front facia and remove the original tow hook mounting, and use 2 bolt hole to fix this RC red tow hook. with $99 price it's much cheaper and prettier than the Mopar OEM hook
Thanks for that info, but does yours have factory headlight washers? Was that an export only thing? I know it was required on HID cars for a while to reduce flare for oncoming drivers, but never noticed a WK2 with them.

post #10 of 35 Old 06-07-2021, 02:00 PM
Bilko
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bts_wk2 View Post
They look good. When you say "remove the original tow hook mounting" what exactly is this? Unless your vehicle already had the MOPAR hooks the RC ones should bolt straight in. If you already have the MOPAR hooks stick with them, the RC mounts are effectively a downgrade or cosmetic change.
post #11 of 35 Old 06-07-2021, 11:03 PM
bts_wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
Thanks for that info, but does yours have factory headlight washers? Was that an export only thing? I know it was required on HID cars for a while to reduce flare for oncoming drivers, but never noticed a WK2 with them.
yes, headlight washer is there. It's operable with windshield washer when headlight is ON. The washer pop-up with the water pressure itself
WK2Overland4X4 likes this.
post #12 of 35 Old 06-07-2021, 11:11 PM
bts_wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
They look good. When you say "remove the original tow hook mounting" what exactly is this? Unless your vehicle already had the MOPAR hooks the RC ones should bolt straight in. If you already have the MOPAR hooks stick with them, the RC mounts are effectively a downgrade or cosmetic change.
My 2012 WK2 does not have built in Mopar tow hook. It's only equipped with "screwed on" emergency towing pad eye, which is very small, stored in tool bag on the trunk.
The screw mounting is hidden behind the front facia blanking plates. The new tow hook will use this on the passenger side. I will post a picture later to make it clear
post #13 of 35 Old 06-08-2021, 06:47 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is a screw in recovery hook where required for the market. North American WK2s don't have them.

post #14 of 35 Old 06-08-2021, 08:08 AM
WK2Overland4X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There is a screw in recovery hook where required for the market. North American WK2s don't have them.
I believe those are commonly there for tie-down when shipping. Not really for recovery, but are better than not having something.

post #15 of 35 Old 06-08-2021, 12:18 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some countries require a tow fitting both front and rear. Every European made vehicle I've owned had a pop off cover hiding a threaded hole and a separate eye that screws in for on road tow/recovery. Jeep puts these on export vehicles. Its not a tie down, not intended to be subject to the lateral forces of a tie down.

"Threaded holes for the tow fitting are located in the front and rear of the vehicle on the right side with respect to the direction of travel.

Use of the tow fitting:
– Use only the tow fitting provided with the vehicle and screw it all the way in.
– Use the tow fitting for towing on paved roads only.
– Avoid lateral loading of the tow fitting, for instance do not lift the vehicle by the tow fitting.
– Check the fastening of the tow fitting in regular intervals."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in