Roof rack: Gobi vs chief - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 09-19-2021, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Ezglide3

Roof rack: Gobi vs chief

So I am looking for a roof rack and have landed on Gobi and Chief racks. The rack will start out being used for the RTT. Heard that for a RTT, the flat style (chief) is best while the basket (Gobi) is not preferred. I can see the roof rack being used for other purposes down the road.

So, those who have either rack. How do you like them? The RTT will be a hard shell so the Gobi would be the stealth version without the faring or whatever they call it.

Any recommendations from those who have roof racks or hard shell RTTs.

Thanks.

Boxerdad214 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 09-19-2021, 08:41 PM
Thunderspud

I have the Chief Rack but I don't have my RTT up there. It's on an offroad trailer we haul. That said, one of the biggest surprises to me when installing the rack was just how little support there is on the roof of the Jeep for the stock roof rails and their mounting points. They are literally just some rivnuts into the roof sheet metal as far as I can tell. The Chief Rack reuses these attachment points (like all the racks I've seen do) but spreads the load out over a much larger area by way of the side pieces sitting in "gutter" above the doors. It also substantially increases the usable storage area on the roof. I use mine mainly to haul boats or 10-12' mild steel tube for the trailer fabrication we do on the weekends.

I am not familiar in any way with the Gobi rack.....but the Chief Rack has a 330lb/150kg dynamic load rating and a 1332lb/600kg static load rating. I'd definitely check those numbers on the Gobi and see how they compare.

I can say that I don't have any complaints with my Chief Rack. Being able to use TNuts (easily bought from McMaster Carr btw) to quickly and safely attach pretty much anything you like up there has been super useful for the way I use the Jeep.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
eibyer and Boxerdad214 like this.
post #3 of 17 Old 09-20-2021, 12:00 PM
Bilko

Have you seen both these products in the flesh? The Chief Product rack is far superior in terms of the quality of materials and manufacturing. The attention to detail inherent in the design is impressive, right down to the comprehensive installation guide.

Gobi racks are very expensive for what you get.

Where the Gobi really wins is the size of the platform. This is achieved by extending the basket forward of the mounting rails. You need to look at how this is realized, there are feet to support this forward extension but they just rest on the rubber strips that cover the seam welds. they are not fastened to the body in any way. This is fine if all the load is pressing down but you have to be careful when loading to ensure you don't place anything on the front of the rack that is going to generate uplift at highway speeds else the last time you will see your shiny new roof rack will be in your rearview mirror. The Gobi rack is more applicable if you want to carry lots of stuff. They have many options for mounting water cans and jacks etc. which is cool.

The flatter platform of the Chief Products rack is better suited for RTTs, they used to offer a specific version for this purpose, you may also want to consider the overland version, this adds two extra crossbars/planks plus some really useful and robust tie-down rings.

I do not own one of these but I have installed them for my friends, I think it's just a matter of time before I swipe my credit card

post #4 of 17 Old 09-20-2021, 02:53 PM
metalhead
2011 WK 

As soon as they are back in stock I will be getting the Chief roof rack to mount an RTT. They seem to have the best rack out there and it looks cool too.

1994 YJ (Gone)
2000 Grand Cherokee WJ (Gone)
2011 Grand Cherokee WK2
2012 Wrangler Unlimited JK
post #5 of 17 Old 09-20-2021, 06:30 PM
kga1978

2017 WK 

Garage
I installed the full Chief rack right after it was released and used it as a normal roof rack for a ~couple of years. I wouldn't say it was with issues - it's not really that big and wind noise was an issue, although I hear that varies a great deal from person to person (or rather, car to car...).

However, if your plan is to use it with a RTT, it's perfect. We installed a James Baroud Explorer a couple of months ago and it's rock solid on top of our three crossbars. It's also much quieter with the RTT up there, so noise is no longer a problem.

I haven't tried the Gobi - but if your plan is to have a RTT, go with the Chief, no question. Just know that it'll very likely be too small for a big RTT - it's perfect for the normal sized James Baroud's and it'd likely be perfect for an iKamper, but not, say, an XXL James Baroud.
post #6 of 17 Old 09-20-2021, 07:05 PM
WiKi2

Isn't there a 150lb limit to the roof of the wk2? I would think the roof rack+ rtt + person/s is over 400-500 lbs
post #7 of 17 Old 09-20-2021, 07:14 PM
Thunderspud

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiKi2 View Post
Isn't there a 150lb limit to the roof of the wk2? I would think the roof rack+ rtt + person/s is over 400-500 lbs
There are differences between static and dynamic load ratings for roof racks on vehicles. Although I've never seen a rating for the WK2 roof itself, I'd imagine that NHTSA safety regulators (at least in the US) would be pretty up in arms if the roof collapsed under the weight of a few large suitcases.

All that aside.....the Chief rack itself, which is obviously integrated into the roof ratings once it's properly installed, is rated for much higher than 150lbs, for both dynamic and static.

Here is a link that details how the ratings were obtained......

https://www.chiefproducts.com.au/pag...ings-explained

post #8 of 17 Old 09-20-2021, 08:58 PM
Bilko

I think the more recent versions have some baffles to reduce the wind noise
post #9 of 17 Old 09-20-2021, 09:14 PM
Thunderspud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
I think the more recent versions have some baffles to reduce the wind noise
That is correct. They have an updated hidden air dam meant to be installed under the forwardmost plank. I never noticed all that much wind noise from mine after things were tightened.....but that could also be because I added a slim light bar under the plank directly in front of the hidden air dam. I've never driven it without the light. That light may be pulling double duty as an extra wind disruptor of some sort for all I know.

post #10 of 17 Old 09-21-2021, 10:55 AM
Bilko

That's a very clean install, which light bar is that? and how did you run the power to it?
post #11 of 17 Old 09-24-2021, 04:28 PM
Bilko

Quote:
Originally Posted by kga1978 View Post
I installed the full Chief rack right after it was released and used it as a normal roof rack for a ~couple of years. I wouldn't say it was with issues - it's not really that big and wind noise was an issue, although I hear that varies a great deal from person to person (or rather, car to car...).

However, if your plan is to use it with a RTT, it's perfect. We installed a James Baroud Explorer a couple of months ago and it's rock solid on top of our three crossbars. It's also much quieter with the RTT up there, so noise is no longer a problem.

I haven't tried the Gobi - but if your plan is to have a RTT, go with the Chief, no question. Just know that it'll very likely be too small for a big RTT - it's perfect for the normal sized James Baroud's and it'd likely be perfect for an iKamper, but not, say, an XXL James Baroud.
Holy Crap, I have never heard of this brand of RTT so I looked it up, My local dealer prices these at around $5,000 after sales tax. I know they are well made but $5,000? That is many nights in a really nice hotel or 100 Big5 Tents.

My car camping setup is a $200 Ikea mattress that fits perfectly in the back of a WK2 with the rear seats folded down and a $60 Harbor freight roof basket. I can still place gear in the back of the car and throw it up on the roof once we park up. This gives the options of sleeping with the flipper glass or tailgate open or if it's hot we can just fire up the engine and run the AC plus we have the included audio system that comes free with the Jeep:-)

My only luxury is a Roadshower, (I think they are now owned by Yakima) which provides water for cooking and the morning shower. These are quite expensive but for us, the cost is worth it.
post #12 of 17 Old 09-24-2021, 05:54 PM
a few waffles

[QUOTE=Thunderspud;41359475]That is correct. They have an updated hidden air dam meant to be installed under the forwardmost plank. I never noticed all that much wind noise from mine after things were tightened.....but that could also be because I added a slim light bar under the plank directly in front of the hidden air dam. I've never driven it without the light. That light may be pulling double duty as an extra wind disruptor of some sort for all I know.

Can confirm. I literally finished installing the full Chief rack today and have driven it at various speeds up to about 60 (so far) and haven't noticed any whistling/noise other than wind with the air dam installed.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-25-2021, 02:24 PM
Bilko

Have you got any photos?
post #14 of 17 Old 09-26-2021, 06:07 AM
a few waffles

Quote:
Have you got any photos?
I don't but I can take some. Of the air dam? Or anything else?
post #15 of 17 Old 09-26-2021, 09:19 AM
kga1978

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Holy Crap, I have never heard of this brand of RTT so I looked it up, My local dealer prices these at around $5,000 after sales tax. I know they are well made but $5,000? That is many nights in a really nice hotel or 100 Big5 Tents.

My car camping setup is a $200 Ikea mattress that fits perfectly in the back of a WK2 with the rear seats folded down and a $60 Harbor freight roof basket. I can still place gear in the back of the car and throw it up on the roof once we park up. This gives the options of sleeping with the flipper glass or tailgate open or if it's hot we can just fire up the engine and run the AC plus we have the included audio system that comes free with the Jeep:-)

My only luxury is a Roadshower, (I think they are now owned by Yakima) which provides water for cooking and the morning shower. These are quite expensive but for us, the cost is worth it.
Yeah, it's obscene . Compared to the cost of RVs, trailers, etc., etc. it's quite the bargain though - plus, no hotels for miles where we go .

I'm with you about sleeping in the back though. Until we got the RTT, that's how we did it - I even ripped out the backsets and created a nice platform that perfectly fitted a mattress I cut out. Nice setup and I miss it - but now I built a 'kitchen' in the back, so no more space for sleeping...
Attached Thumbnails
Backseat removal.jpg   Bedroom1.jpg  
IDoMy0wnRacing likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in