Reprogramming 2012 key - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 10-19-2019, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
fighterkit

Reprogramming 2012 key

I recently bought a 2012 Overland with only one key. I read online that the alfaobd tool will allow me to reprogram the key but I don’t see any other posts saying that will work. What would be the best way to approach this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-19-2019, 02:18 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

A dealer would be the easiest way, especially since your Overland has keyless start and passive entry. A locksmith or used car outfit could also do it but I've heard passive entry/keyless start can be tricky to get working properly. You will want to buy the FOB from the dealer or locksmith, as dealers won't program your blank and some blanks just don't work right with the passive entry stuff.

I was born with nuttin' and I still have most of it
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 16 Old 10-20-2019, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
fighterkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
A dealer would be the easiest way, especially since your Overland has keyless start and passive entry. A locksmith or used car outfit could also do it but I've heard passive entry/keyless start can be tricky to get working properly. You will want to buy the FOB from the dealer or locksmith, as dealers won't program your blank and some blanks just don't work right with the passive entry stuff.
Thanks I was hoping there was software that was relatively cheap that I could use to program it, but honestly with only having one key I really don't want to mess anything up and get screwed. I'll call the dealer tomorrow.

post #4 of 16 Old 10-20-2019, 06:10 PM
martin12qw

With appcar you can program the keys.
Must have key compatible with passive entry.
Mine isn’t and it works for lock, unlock and start, without the passive thing.

Edit:
Remote start works and bonus, opening the hatch glass too (MY 2011)
post #5 of 16 Old 10-21-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
fighterkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin12qw View Post
With appcar you can program the keys.
Must have key compatible with passive entry.
Mine isnít and it works for lock, unlock and start, without the passive thing.

Edit:
Remote start works and bonus, opening the hatch glass too (MY 2011)
So with a blank key that can work with the passive entry I will be able to reporgram the key myself and have those features work?
post #6 of 16 Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 PM
martin12qw

Thatís the affirmation of the Appcar contact person, he said it works.
I programed one key for Wk2, non compatible with passive entry, and 2 for WK
post #7 of 16 Old 06-16-2020, 09:05 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

2012 Overland...
I just got a brand new 2nd key, from a Dodge Parts dealer (Steve White). Using purchased AlfaOBD I was able to program it with the car using my unique 4 digit PIN.
It gives the warning screen (attached) before you proceed.
I ***-u-me that the bottom part is the important bit from everything I have read in dozens of threads on many sites. Unfortunately most searches hit that Ram Forum thread with over 1,100 PAGES of comments...
Programming worked, will perform the following
With no other key in my hand or near the car...
  1. From a distance (50+ feet) all buttons work including the rear glass (my existing old remote doesn't have that button) and remote start will work engine starts and seems to keep running now.
  2. Using unlock button on remote, open door, enter, pop out the start button, put the key in and turn it and all is well, Accy, Run, Starts all normal.
What does not work
  1. Passive entry (both unlock with hand in handle, and the lock button on the handle)
  2. Push to start
But what can confuse some people, when setting it up, is you usually have a working key with you so when testing it looks like it works. While in the car, using the remote start on the new key, it will start and run, because the old key is in the car with you...
SO, again I assume, I need to do the PEM Replace function to transfer the new key info to the PEM so it allows it to work. BUT...
The 2nd screen is what happens. I get a "Failed. Requested procedure is not supported by the unit."
I think I found PEM under Central Locking in AlfaOBD.
Attached Thumbnails
Annotation 2020-06-16 110051.jpg   Annotation 2020-06-16 110224.png  
post #8 of 16 Old 06-16-2020, 10:28 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Thanks, very helpful.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-16-2020, 01:00 PM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
... and remote start will work engine starts and seems to keep running now...
I just edited that as a correction. Jeep does start and keep running from a distance.
But when you get in (must press unlock on keyfob) you have to pop out the button and stick in the key and it seems to get confused, but it will work.
Also I have found very similar search results for problems with AlfaOBD after an update last year with messages like the
"Failed. Requested procedure is not supported by the unit." I get, but slightly different, mainly
"Failed. Requested service is not supported by the unit." like on this forum post
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/alf...23982/page-858
post #10 of 16 Old 06-18-2020, 03:36 PM
gcburke

Appcar works the same for an 11-13....program the fob then run the pem routine (you get a message telling you to run pem after programming the fob). Appcar can also read the security code which is what you have to do first before you can proceed.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-19-2020, 06:32 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

I think I need to splurge and get a new OBD bluetooth adapter. Seems I can do just about anything, but PEM replace, and coding changes.
I have the PIN code, and it worked programming 2 new keys to the car, but not Passive functions.
I was looking for a new case/cover for my old original key, one with the 6th button for the flipper glass. They were about $9 on eBay, and for $19 on eBay I got a complete new key with circuit board. I was hoping for a battery as well...
BUT, it is not an original MOPAR part, 100% knock off, and it is only key/remote, no passive module. But it does program fine to the Jeep, and buttons work, remote start, stick it in the dash and drive, all good as a backup emergency key. It even came with a metal blank.
I put my old/worn 5 button case on it, and toss it in the kitchen drawer. And the new case/button cover on the original key works fine, and the flipper glass button works.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Notice it says it programs the WIN module but nothing about the passive entry module, perhaps in another menu? The functions you got working are WIN related. But its the passive entry module that does passive entry and push button start. I hear finding a reasonable priced passive entry FOB that works reliably is frustrating, let alone programing them. Lots of cheap stuff around that works without passive entry.

2014 and up WK2s don't use a WIN.

post #13 of 16 Old 06-19-2020, 08:30 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Notice it says it programs the WIN module but nothing about the passive entry module, perhaps in another menu? The functions you got working are WIN related. But its the passive entry module that does passive entry and push button start. I hear finding a reasonable priced passive entry FOB that works reliably is frustrating, let alone programing them. Lots of cheap stuff around that works without passive entry.

2014 and up WK2s don't use a WIN.
Yes, look at the 2nd picture in my post #7, that is the error I get when I try to do the PEM Replace which (from what I understand) should copy the key information to the PEM (from the WIN?) so it "knows" about the new keys.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-20-2020, 09:39 AM
gcburke

Quote:
I hear finding a reasonable priced passive entry FOB that works reliably is frustrating, let alone programing them. Lots of cheap stuff around that works without passive entry.
These work perfectly....yeah they are $75 but fully functional. https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...Fob-s/3096.htm
post #15 of 16 Old 06-20-2020, 05:06 PM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburke View Post
These work perfectly....yeah they are $75 but fully functional. https://www.keylessentryremotefob.co...Fob-s/3096.htm
Not a bad price, I assume they are "erased" used OEM boards in new generic cases.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in