Replaced WIN and keys now shifter locked in Park - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-06-2021, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
=KZ=
2011 WK 

Replaced WIN and keys now shifter locked in Park

Hi all,

I replaced my Win module as my keylessgo wasn't working reliably. I was able to run the replaced win module routine and program the new keys using the scanner supplied by auto tech electronics, Everything went smoothly and the keylessgo now works every time as well as my remote start. However, now that I have it all back together my shifter wont allow me out of Park unless I press the bypass button and also my keyless or passive entry is not working at all. I checked for codes using appcar, alphaobd jscan and there were no codes relating to this issue.
The vehicle starts and drives correctly other than these two issues and the shifter works smoothly as soon as I hit the bypass button so I belive the shifter is blocking me as some kind of safety or anti theft issue....any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-06-2021, 05:55 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You have a WIN, so the WK2 must be an early model.

You will have a Passive Entry Module (PEM). On vehicles equipped with Keyless Go or Passive Entry, anytime the WIN is replaced, a FOBIK is added or replaced or a FOBIK programming function is performed or the PEM is replaced, the PEM Replace function must also be run. This transfers the FOBIK identification data from the WIN to the PEM. The Park lock may be controlled by the PEM, dunno.

On vehicles equipped with a steering shaft lock module, the WIN initialization procedure is required whenever the WIN or shaft lock module is replaced

Dunno if Canadian WK2s are different than USA models, but exports may have a premium theft deterrent system that needs to be configured to the new WIN.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 21 Old 05-06-2021, 10:11 PM
Chirpz

2020 WK 

Garage
Don't you just love all these cool acronyms that have been spawned by the new electronics in cars. WIN, PEM, FOBIK.... and that is just the beginning.

Sometimes I yearn for the days when all you have was a few wires and mechanical key operated switch.

Chirpz
2021 WK2, 3.6L, Factory Towing Package, Electronic Trailer Brakes, Weathertech Mats, Dash Duck.

post #4 of 21 Old 05-07-2021, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
=KZ=
2011 WK 

Everything is a new acronym ya....theres a new one for UFOs now too

Yes ColdCase it is a 2011 hemi overland as you surmised. Thanks for the reply ( I should have included that info sorry)

As far as the PEM goes, although the programmer does show a heading for reprograming the PEM it appears that this function relates to 2014 plus vehicles. I did notice that Appcars changelog suggests that pre 2014 PEM functions are supported in their new version which ive downloaded and hopefully I can ferret that function out. I will keep you updated.
With regard to the shifter I am hoping that the PEM is culprit. I did do a immobilizer/fobik (WCM) routine to start off then a wireless go synchronus smart key routine to program each key. As I said that all went perfectly well and the keys do function as they should.

Thanks for the info I will post back when I find out more.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-07-2021, 07:01 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There were several architecture changes for the 2014 model year. The WIN is gone, a new body module that integrated the old security module PEM, and WIN functions as well as most of the TIPM functions was added. I would expect much different command sets between 2011 and 2014.

post #6 of 21 Old 05-07-2021, 07:29 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

I have been fighting this battle a bit myself, well, ignoring this battle.
My Jeep came with 1 key, severely worn buttons.
I bought 2 more, 1 genuine, and 1 knock off (does not have passive entry module).
I put the knock off case/buttons on the original functional key (and gained the button for rear window in the process!)

Using Alfa OBD I was able to program them both and the Jeep to work as a KEY & FOB. Remote start works, all buttons lock/unlock work, and if I pop off the start button, I can put them in the hole and turn and start/drive the car no issues.
All I thought that was left to do was the PEM replace or whatever process to allow the 2nd new key to work as passive entry and push to start, but it fails every time I try. And I get zero responses from Alfa OBD support.
I still have 1 fully functioning key, and 2 backups that work if you pop off the button, so I'm not real concerned, but I'd love to get it fully working, without the dealership getting involved. And I do have the 4 digit PIN code for my Jeep.

2012 Overland 4X4 Mineral Gray/New Saddle, HEMI , 24p (ACC,BSM, FCW)
post #7 of 21 Old 05-07-2021, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
=KZ=
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
Using Alfa OBD I was able to program them both and the Jeep to work as a KEY & FOB. Remote start works, all buttons lock/unlock work, and if I pop off the start button, I can put them in the hole and turn and start/drive the car no issues.
All I thought that was left to do was the PEM replace or whatever process to allow the 2nd new key to work as passive entry and push to start, but it fails every time I try. And I get zero responses from Alfa OBD support..
So there is a PEM replace within alphaOBD? I didnt see it when I looked through it. Would you happen to remember which module you connected to to see the command as an option? Maybe I need to update my AlphaOBD
post #8 of 21 Old 05-07-2021, 10:56 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by =KZ= View Post
So there is a PEM replace within alphaOBD? I didnt see it when I looked through it. Would you happen to remember which module you connected to to see the command as an option? Maybe I need to update my AlphaOBD
I have updated my app many times, even tried looking for an old one that was said to be the go-to version on the Ram Trucks forum.
This is the message I get when I try.
I would have to putz and find the module, but it wasn't buried too deep. Basically go through each step looking at your year range.
Attached Thumbnails
nocode.jpg  

post #9 of 21 Old 05-08-2021, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
=KZ=
2011 WK 

So I ran the same procedure and sadly also got a test failed result ....what a tease, except mine simply said 'test failed'. I also ran the locate fobik routine found on the PEM and it did locate the key in the cabin which makes me think that the PEM already knows the key, very confusing. Ive ordered a better, way more expensive bluetooth adapter in case that is the culprit. I spend more time wrestling with getting my BT obd adapter to connect, than actually using alphaobd. I can also try it in appcar and see if it works.
post #10 of 21 Old 05-09-2021, 06:24 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by =KZ= View Post
So I ran the same procedure and sadly also got a test failed result ....what a tease, except mine simply said 'test failed'. I also ran the locate fobik routine found on the PEM and it did locate the key in the cabin which makes me think that the PEM already knows the key, very confusing. Ive ordered a better, way more expensive bluetooth adapter in case that is the culprit. I spend more time wrestling with getting my BT obd adapter to connect, than actually using alphaobd. I can also try it in appcar and see if it works.
I tried 3 different bluetooth adapters, and the oldest/cheapest one works the best. Then I bought the expensive wired adapter (EX?) to eliminate bluetooth issues altogether, no difference.
Also trying to get key working on my daughters 2013 Fiat Abarth 500, no luck yet on it.

post #11 of 21 Old 05-09-2021, 06:48 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

I happened to run across the shift interlock diagram this afternoon....
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 8.35.47 PM.jpg  

post #12 of 21 Old 05-11-2021, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
=KZ=
2011 WK 

Thanks ColdCase I guess worst comes to worst its not too hard to hack the BTSI Solinoid circuit.
Ive been talking to Auto Techs support looking for advice from them but their advice seems to be take it to the dealer for programming.
I couldn't find the replace PEM routine in Appcar and it doesnt function in alpha OBD. So I guess that is my next move.
post #13 of 21 Old 05-11-2021, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
=KZ=
2011 WK 

I would like to understand the system a bit better. In my travels through these scanner apps I did find mention of secret key data being stored in these modules which is a bit of a mystery. There is a command to send the secret key information from the PCM to the WIN in the event of the WIN being replaced, but it appears that it needs to also be sent to the PEM, which might be my problem. However the fact that the WIN controls the shifter lock and that is a problem I wonder if WIN is properly programmed. Obviously the fear in running these commands without being reasonably secure that it wont cause a problem that disables the ability to start the vehicle makes me err on the side of caution.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

I'll take a look again at which module, and screen cap as I go.

post #15 of 21 Old 05-11-2021, 10:55 AM
WK2Overland4X4
2012 WK 

For getting keys remote buttons to work you go to the Radio Frequency Hub, the "PEM Replace " is under Passive Entry Module (go figure )
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20210511-122818_AlfaOBD.jpg   Screenshot_20210511-122840_AlfaOBD.jpg   Screenshot_20210511-122924_AlfaOBD.jpg   Screenshot 2021-05-11 125700.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in