Remote radio switch dead on 2017 WK2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

Remote radio switch dead on 2017 WK2

My L/H remote radio switch on back of my 2017 WK2 with paddle shift is dead and my Uconnect 8.4 radio seeks/changes stations automatically. See page 200 WK2 online pdf shop manual. https://servicemanualwarehouse.com/c...r-confirmation

Verbage on pg 200: The remote radio switches (2 and 3) are mounted to the back of the steering wheel. Each remote radio
switch includes a momentary rocker with a momentary push button located in the center, between the
two ends of the rocker in addition to the paddle shift switch. On vehicles equipped with the combined
steering wheel mounted paddle shift and remote radio switches the right switch (2) includes the following
functions:
Upshift paddle shift switch (1)
Volume Up (10)
Mode (9)
Volume Down

On vehicles equipped with the combined steering wheel mounted paddle shift and remote radio switches
the left switch (3) includes the following functions:
Downshift paddle shift switch (4)
Seek Up (5)
Preset (6)
Seek Down (7)
Refer to SWITCH, REMOTE RADIO, OPERATION .

Looks like switch is part of the paddle shift module according to how I read this complicated Mopar parts diagram: https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...eel.html?PNC=4

Alfisto Steve

2004 JGC Overland WJ and 2017 JGC Limited WK2

Gone but not forgotten 1996 JGC Laredo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 07:41 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You didn't mention it but did you find a stuck switch error code? The earlier model steering control module would throw a code and stop responding to a stuck switch after 600 seconds. You can also view switch status using a scan tool like AlfaODB or AppCar.

Just mentioning it because dunno if you are aware that there have been a few reports of a bad radio doing this.

A 2017 should still be under warranty?

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
You didn't mention it but did you find a stuck switch error code? The earlier model steering control module would throw a code and stop responding to a stuck switch after 600 seconds. You can also view switch status using a scan tool like AlfaODB or AppCar.

Just mentioning it because dunno if you are aware that there have been a few reports of a bad radio doing this.

A 2017 should still be under warranty?
I have a budget model OBDII scan tool I use on my 04 WJ. I can try that and see if I get a code but I expect I need a full body scan tool or one with changeable cartridges to pull up a radio switch code. Hard to keep up with technology at my age. My son has all that stuff but he and I do not live in same ZIP codes anymore.

I am a tech advisor on the Alfa Romeo 164 for AROC-USA and an advisor over on www.alfaBB.com but my 164 models I have are 29 years old now. Even though they have Bosch ECU's for engine management, ABS and HVAC and a Siemens air bag ECU they are basically OBD1 era technology.

I am working with JeepCare,com JeepCares JeepCares online now
FCA Customer Care
Jeepspace - JeepCares on this Uconnect radio issue with online download/update but this new discovery yesterday on steering wheel seek/scan switch maybe plowing new ground with a hardware issue versus a software issue.

Alfisto Steve

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

Thanks for reply. As for my bad L/H paddle/radio seek/preset button. I got correct p/n 5RP99DX9AC for it from local dealer but special order.

We head south tomorrow morning pulling our cargo trailer. Will have to use SXM radio on my cell phone I guess for this trip.

I bought one new OEM switch online and it will be shipped to our FL address as we go home tomorrow. So my radio issue case number need to stay in open file for awhile. This bad switch could be the cause of radio automatically seeking stations problem.

I know the switch doesn't work whether it is switch or wiring issue who knows. I just can't get a scan tool right now to see of there is a fault code in memory for radio switch.

Alfisto Steve

post #5 of 5 Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
2017jgc
2017 WK 

My Uconnect Radio works again with new switch installed

The Uconnect radio now works correctly. I had local dealer's Auto Tech mean man Mike troubleshoot and change out the bad L/H - paddle/radio 5RP99DX9AC on steering wheel and that fixed the problem of radio changing stations.

My dealer's service advisor Melissa J. got me a partial reimbursement from my EMRP extended warranty insurance agent. I will try to get further reimbursement from them for the OEM MOPAR switch I bought online that Mike installed for me. It is/was hidden under Air Bag and I wasn't wanting to go there myself.
Attached Images

Alfisto Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in