Reliability? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
bgreenstone

Reliability?

I'm currently driving a 2003 Lexus GX 470 with 137,000 miles on it, and it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Nothing of any consequence has broken or gone wrong in 10+ years of owning it.

Prior to the GX 470 I had a 1997 Grand Cherokee which was the worst car I've ever owned. The number of major things that broke on it during the 6 years I had it would fill a page, and I had vowed never to buy another American car again after that.

But... my Lexus is showing its age, and I really want to replace it. I'm not a fan of the new GX 460 (I think Lexus took a great car and screwed it up), but there are certain features I must have, so my options are very limited. The only other car out there which fits the bill is the Grand Cherokee, so I'm looking at getting a 2014 Overland with all the bells and whistles.

I'm scared to death of ditching my Lexus for the Jeep after my last experience, but I know this new one is totally redesigned. That being said, I'm having a very hard time finding any reliability data on the car. Most places like JDPower just have an "assumed" or "estimated" reliability which appears to be based on previous Cherokee reliability ratings since those sites all give it an "average" or "below average" reliability rating. I cannot find any solid info on the 2011-2013 versions of the vehicle.

Can anyone here provide some guidance for me?

Thanks,

-Brian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 05-09-2013, 09:38 PM
ImAnthony
2014 WK 

I could not find anything other than marketing bs... I think historically I find people either have bad experiences (as you did) or great (as many members here have)

I think Jeep is a good bit away from Lexus in reliability but seems to be getting closer.

Issues with 2014 seem to be mostly electrical or related to uconnect (the computer/stereo) from what I have read. Pre 2014 seem to also have serious issues with water leaks -- not sure if those have been ironed out.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

2014 Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 L
K&N KN-77-1563KP Cold Air Intake
post #3 of 29 Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM
GPERSCREEPERS99

I have not done anything to our 2012 other than oil changes bur its only got 11k on it. I also bought the lifetime max care warranty so I'm not concerned about it.
This is my 9th jeep and honestly I've never had much go wrong.

99 Jeep Wrangler built on 35's
82 Aqualu Aluminum Scrambler Chevy 350 on 33's
14 JKU Rubicon My Daily Driver
12 Grand Cherokee Wife's Daily Driver

post #4 of 29 Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM
jdodds
2013 WK 

After 3 jeeps dating back to 1992, I swore that I was done with jeeps. My 2005 Grand Cherokee had over 100K miles on her and the hemi was groaning and always thirsty. I had had it and wanted a GTI or WRX something that could get up and go and still give me decent economy. Well I did some reading and found out that the WK2 v6 is the first Grand Cherokee that CONSUMER REPORTS recommends - not only that - it got really good reliability ratings as well. It changed my mind - not to mention the exterior design is just perfect and the interior rivals the ML at this point. Well I got my 2013 back in October and must say - no problems whatsoever. Getting a solid 17MPG city and it shoots upto 22 on the highway. I love it and truly recommend checking out a publication that has always shunned the Cherokee and check out what they have to say about this model.....

1992 Wrangler 4.0 HO
2000 Grand Cherokee V8 Quadradrive
2005 Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Magnaflow Intake/Exhaust
2013 V6 Laredo E
post #5 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 05:32 AM
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Reliability

Auto manufacturers other than the big have an advantage in quality since thye dont have to deal with the UAW and their contracts. For example the infamous video of Chrysler UAW workers drinking and getting high on their break/lunch did not result in any of the workers getting termianted. They are back on the line building vehciles for Chrysler. At non union plant they would ahve been terminated. remember Chrysler was rescued and given to Fiat to save union jobs and not to give US taxpayers a quality vehicle.

Has Jeep quality improved yes but it could be better. Its probably as good as Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Toyota and Porsche but still needs some work to
match Lexus and Honda. Jeep quality is better than VW, Subie, Kia, Nissan and equal to Ford, Chevy, Caddy, Hyundai.

My previous vehicle was a 2006 Honda Element that never had any issues.
My 2012 rear driveshaft failed at 11k miles. You also have to remember Jeep sells more GCs than Lexus sells vehicles in a year.

Lexi are dull and boring vehicles but reliable, A Grand Cherokee has some character,soul, and attitude. Something even the LFA is missing. Would I buy another GC probably but it depends on how Land Rover does with redesign of the Defender 110. Scottish herding dogs need a proper vehicle. No Kate we cant afford a Range Rover Autobiography edition.
post #6 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 AM
katzonice69
1999 WJ 

Funny Dave2000, how is a Lexus more reliable than a Toyota??

In the end you'll never get 137k+ miles out of a jeep with no issues. The Lexus you change the oil, brake pads, timing belt and water pump and that's it for 100k+. I just don't see that happening with any jeep.
post #7 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 06:07 AM
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Good replies above. In brief I would just add that Jeep has improved quite a bit vs 5 or 10 yrs ago. I bet lexus is still better but as someone stated above a lexus is a bit boring and the new GC is awesome. Just buy an extended warranty and drive it

good luck
post #8 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 06:07 AM
Dave2002ti
2012 WK 

Lexi have always

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzonice69 View Post
Funny Dave2000, how is a Lexus more reliable than a Toyota??

In the end you'll never get 137k+ miles out of a jeep with no issues. The Lexus you change the oil, brake pads, timing belt and water pump and that's it for 100k+. I just don't see that happening with any jeep.
been more reliable than Toyota. Why because if there customers are spending more money they are demanding it. Also look at the JD Power studies over the years.
post #9 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 AM
jeepsnmopars
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Just a thought if you really liked the Lexus that much, feel it is getting old due to mileage and don't like the replacement I would consider finding another "older" style Lexus with very low miles. There are some certified pre-owned programs out there and I assume Lexus has one.

1992 Sahara "the dull chain saw"
2012 JK 2dr
1968 Barracuda Formula S
post #10 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
bgreenstone

Thanks for the input, guys! I agree that the Lexus is pretty boring. My issues with the GX 460 go deeper than that, however, so I'm not even considering getting one of those. I've contacted the local dealers and I'm waiting to see who can give me the best price on an Overland. Luckily, this won't be my daily driver, so I won't be putting that many miles on it which makes me a little more comfortable with the reliability issues.

-Brian
post #11 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM
gabbagabba
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgreenstone View Post
Thanks for the input, guys! I agree that the Lexus is pretty boring. My issues with the GX 460 go deeper than that, however, so I'm not even considering getting one of those. I've contacted the local dealers and I'm waiting to see who can give me the best price on an Overland. Luckily, this won't be my daily driver, so I won't be putting that many miles on it which makes me a little more comfortable with the reliability issues.

-Brian
IMO find a volume dealer and get invoice minus holdback, that is about as deep as you can get and will be a good price

good luck and enjoy, you will

also re: pricing, you may want to consider finding a limited with ORA II or a 20" wheel pckg which gives you some of the overland toys for less
post #12 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

This thread contains some nonsense

Lexus=Toyota's upper echelon

Just like Acura = Honda's upper echelon

and

Infiniti=Nissan's Upper Echelon

The Lexus LFA lacks a personality? Pass whatever you're smoking...

Jeep reliability is improving but it's not land of the rising sun reliable, not by my count anyway.

All the above being said I have still had good experiences with Jeep in terms of reliability aside from the fact that all my drivetrain seals are currently leaking on my '04 JCG that only has 68k miles on it.
post #13 of 29 Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 AM
shudog
2018 WK 

I had a '98 Grand Cherokee that I drove to 230,000 miles and was still in excellent shape when I sold it 3 years ago. Only major thing that was repaired outside of normal maintenance like brakes & shocks was the rear diff bearings had to be rebuilt for $1200.

my wife had a Lexus GS300 which had a cracked engine block, suspension clunks that were unable to be fixed, a driver seat motor that quit, and a/c that worked intermittently, all under 70,000 miles. $hittiest car we've ever owned.

She now has a GMC Terrain that hasn't even needed tires or brakes at 60,000 miles.

Stereotypes never hold up.

Previously owned jeeps:
'06 Grand Cherokee Limited w/4.7L V8 & QD2
'98 Grand Cherokee Limited w/5.2L V8 & Quadra Trac - sold at 230k miles
post #14 of 29 Old 05-11-2013, 01:40 PM
DangFoo

2013 JK Wrangler 

The world record for most miles on an engine without rebuild was held by Cadillac for many years; think they were finally toppled by VW.

I had a Chevy K-5 Blazer with 360,000 miles on the same 350 V8; tranny re-built once and I towed with it. I'd put that old truck up against any Asian marque all and any day.

Now, as to Jeeps specifically - now on my third GC and I have never hesitated on reliability. It's actually the opposite; I trust the durability of Jeeps when I'm in a snow storm or slogging through mud roads (on the family farm when I'm in Eastern Europe) over any Lexus. I'm a bit biased, as I flat-out do not like Japanese designs; they're not my style. Don't care for their architecture or auto designs when Italians, Germans, Scandinavians, and Americans have excellent offerings.

I won't deny that Honda and Toyota had a quality advantage for many years, but the number of recent Toyota-Lexus recalls would give me more pause than buying any Jeep.

Your money, so buy what you want, but I own a 2008 JK and 2013 WK2 and never 2nd guessed that aspect. Toyota's claim to quality seems contradictory to the magnitude of their recalls - no thanks.
post #15 of 29 Old 05-13-2013, 01:01 PM
henrysko
2011 WK 

To the OP, this being an enthusiasts forum, you will only gain a very small sampling of opinions on this car. So research as many boards, surveys, what have you to make your own informed decision. Here's mine...

I did 6 months of research before I ordered my '11 in December of 2010 since I had heard horror stories about the reliability of the Jeep brand. But, I was comfortable with the purchase after spending so much time checking it out.

Now, I'm happy to say it's one of the best cars I've owned and I've had many - from sports cars to trucks in the past 44 years. Fact is, when it came time time to replace the wife's car, she wanted her own so it was only a matter of choosing color and options.

So best of luck on your hunt.

'11 G.C. Overland V6 Mineral Grey/Black Int. (Mine)
"12 G.C. Overland V8 Stone White w/Saddle Int. (Wifey)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in