Rear seatbelt issues? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-2021, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
_R00STER_

Rear seatbelt issues?

Hi all!

So.. our 2015 Limited is having an issue with the rear, passenger side seatbelt. It locked up and won't "release" to give any slack.

I just got done unbolting the lower attachment point, in hopes that getting the extra "slack" would allow me to unlock it. Unfortunately, the mechanism took all the slack I could give it, but it is still locked! Just worse now!

Anybody have a pointer/hack/fix for this? Surely, I'm not the only one to have this lovely issue present itself.

Thanks in advance!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-26-2021, 09:23 PM
Bilko

Unless it's just jammed because of a twisted belt or something else has been pulled into the spool, I would strongly recommend that you just replace it. The new ones will cost around $200, note the left and right ones are different part numbers. You could try and find one in a scrap yard or on e-bay but for a safety-critical part, I would buy new and eat the cost.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-26-2021, 10:38 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The primary function of the switchable Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) to Automatic Locking Retractor (ALR) feature is to securely accommodate an infant or child booster seat in any seating position of the vehicle except the driver side front seat without the need for a self-cinching seat belt tip half latch plate unit or another supplemental device that would be required to prevent the seat belt webbing from unwinding freely from the retractor spool of an inertia-type ELR in situations where the minimum inertia locking threshold has not been achieved.

The locked mode of the ALR is engaged and the retractor is switched from operating as a standard inertia-type ELR by first buckling the combination lap and shoulder belt buckle. Then all of the shoulder belt webbing is pulled out from the retractor. Once all of the belt webbing is extracted from the retractor spool, the retractor will automatically become engaged in the pre-locked ALR mode and will make a light, audible clicking or ratchet-like sound as the shoulder belt is allowed to retract onto the spool to provide an audible confirmation that the ALR mode is engaged. Once the ALR mode is engaged, the retractor will remain locked and the belt will remain tight around whatever it is restraining.

The retractor is returned to standard ELR (inertia) mode by unbuckling the combination lap and shoulder belt buckle and allowing the belt webbing to be almost fully retracted back onto the retractor spool. The ELR mode is confirmed by the absence of the light, audible clicking or ratchet-like sound as the belt webbing retracts. This mode will allow the belt to unwind from and wind onto the retractor spool freely unless and until a predetermined inertia load threshold is sensed, or until the retractor is again switched to the ALR mode.

The CFR, ELR and ALR features cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if ineffective or damaged, the entire seat belt and retractor must be replaced as a unit.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2021, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
_R00STER_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
Unless it's just jammed because of a twisted belt or something else has been pulled into the spool, I would strongly recommend that you just replace it. The new ones will cost around $200, note the left and right ones are different part numbers. You could try and find one in a scrap yard or on e-bay but for a safety-critical part, I would buy new and eat the cost.

Nope... belt is not twisted. Nothing pulled into the spool.

Daughter gave the belt a pull, as she always does to put it on and it completely locked up. It's been locked ever since.

I've tried everything, outside of pulling the plastic off and pulling the belt mechanism out for inspection.

I really hope I don't have to buy a whole new unit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in