2Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdCase
  • 1 Post By 19GCTrailhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
Youssef 79

Rear recovery point on WK2 Overland Trim

Hello -
I have a question: why does the overland trim not have a rear recovery point ? Whereas the Limited trim does. And is it a feature that can be mounted on the Overland (like an option)
Thank you,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 03:09 PM
Bilko

What did the recover point on the Limited look like? I can't recall ever seeing one and don't see what it would be bolted to. Most people just put a hook or shackle attachment into their towing receiver. The towing hitch bolts to the two main beams of the uni-body via pre-threaded inserts, these provide strong mounts. If you don't have the factory option you can get after market ones from vendors like Curt for not much more than $100 and you can literally install this in about 10 minutes, its just 4 M12 bolts.

If you really plan on getting stuck or recovering your buddies you should also consider a kinetic / bungee recovery rope. Using a classic webbing strap is brutal if you need to snatch tow to get out.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-20-2020, 04:54 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The rear recovery point is the receiver if you have one, otherwise there is a tow hook tucked up under the driver's side bolted to a frame rail.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 12 Old 02-21-2020, 10:08 AM
Alpine643

The best solution will be a receiver insert shackle. There are plenty available online, just get one with an appropriate load rating.
Using a hook somewhere under the vehicle is almost always a bad idea. They're tie-downs, not for towing, and are designed to handle the load of tying the vehicle to a trailer, not the loads in a recovery. It's the same problem as with using a trailer hitch ball. They're designed to handle a vertical load, with some horizontal component, not recovery loads. Using either is very dangerous; flying metal parts is a bad thing.
Also, definitely invest in a kinetic rope, even if you anticipate using it only occasionally. Compared to a tow strap, they reduce the shock load tremendously. Regardless of your level of experience, it's difficult to use a tow strap without putting at least some shock on.
post #5 of 12 Old 02-21-2020, 12:30 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Unlike cars, the jeep standard rear and optional front tow hooks are designed to be recovery points that meet the standards of off road clubs. Chassis tie downs are elsewhere.
diverscale likes this.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
post #6 of 12 Old 02-21-2020, 01:50 PM
19GCTrailhawk

2019 WK 

A rear tow hook is optional with the Limited as well as the Overland. If you purchased the off road package you got two front and one rear tow hook. If you purchased the off road package and the tow hitch receiver package you would get a rear tow hook delete. You can find it at jeep.com, Grand Cherokee, Build Your Own.
The rear tow hook can also be purchased and installed Mopar part number 68044680AC or you could install a rear hitch.
diverscale likes this.

Grand Cherokee owner since 1994
2007 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 5.7
post #7 of 12 Old 02-21-2020, 05:19 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Not exactly, although there may be some model year variations, and if the Jeep was built in a certain Moon phase. 4x2s may be different but you can't get a rear hook on a 4x4 Overland from the factory. The build my jeep pages can be confusing and often omit detail. Tow hooks may be mentioned, but are they are talking about the two front hooks, not to be confused with the rear hook. I don't think they mention the rear hook as standard anywhere. Then there are a couple variations exported.

If one feature or another is important to you you on a new WK2, you need to check with a dealer as there are occasional running changes and restrictions as well as more detail. Sometimes, along the production line, parts get out of sync and they end up putting extra parts on a vehicle, other times omit them, so your mileage may vary.

The rear tow hook is standard on all 4x4 models but they get deleted with a factory tow hitch. Overlands, Summits, TrailHawks come standard with factory hitch so, for some reason, you see the hook delete as standard. Must be important to some. The two front hooks are sometimes standard, sometimes optional depending on trim and model year. They come as part as the All Weather, TrailHawk or ORAII packages, maybe others. They also are offered as an accessory. The rear hook can be installed with the factory hitch, but its not a standard configuration. I've seen a few WK2s with factory tow that also have the rear hook. When the hitch is installed as an accessory, the hook is sometimes removed but often left in place.

post #8 of 12 Old 02-22-2020, 02:50 AM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

Ditto on buying a shackle that slides into the 2” hitch receiver.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-22-2020, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Youssef 79

Thanks for your replies and advices.
In Morocco, all Grand cherokee WK2 trims come without the rear tow hitch that is located in the center of the rear bumper. Please see mine in the attached picture.
Now, in Morocco again, Laredo and Limited versions came with a stock rear recovery point located in the left side of the vehicle. I will share with you next time a picture of the rear of a Limited GC with a stock factory recovery point that is located in the left (driver side).
So, this is certainly a country by country specifications because, in Morocco, people do not tow (it is not a common practice for SUV owners), so I can understand Jeep cancelling the center tow hitch for all GC’s. But my questioning was why Limited version was equiped by a rear recovery point and the overland was not.
Anyway, this is not an issue to me, but much more a questioning, because when driver in sand or mud, rear recovery point may be of a big help, and when you see a small sedan having this feature, you may be concerned why a GC Overland does not have this...
Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
C461BA58-1307-42D8-8237-94DF25F1D5D2_1582369291815.jpg  
post #10 of 12 Old 02-22-2020, 06:46 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sorry, I missed you were from Morocco, and there are different variants from export model to model. Too many for me to keep up with. I'm guessing that they just omitted the NA standard hitch on your country's Overlands, and then didn't bother putting the rear hook on as Overlands are not standard with them. If they sell Summits there, they probably won't have a hook.

There are some countries that require recovery points, dunno about yours, and dunno why Jeep omitted it (probably an oversight). Anyway, you should be able to buy the rear hook and hardware and install it, I think the part number was mentioned earlier in the thread. You can also install front hooks if you want, although I think they were standard on NA Overlands for awhile now.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 8.42.18 AM.jpg  

post #11 of 12 Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Youssef 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Sorry, I missed you were from Morocco, and there are different variants from export model to model. Too many for me to keep up with. I'm guessing that they just omitted the NA standard hitch on your country's Overlands, and then didn't bother putting the rear hook on as Overlands are not standard with them. If they sell Summits there, they probably won't have a hook.

There are some countries that require recovery points, dunno about yours, and dunno why Jeep omitted it (probably an oversight). Anyway, you should be able to buy the rear hook and hardware and install it, I think the part number was mentioned earlier in the thread. You can also install front hooks if you want, although I think they were standard on NA Overlands for awhile now.

Thank you !

Yes that’s the part I was referring to and that is stock on the Limited trim. The part number 68044680AC was shared earlier by 19GCTrailhawk.

Thanks again for your advises.
Attached Thumbnails
EEFFD350-835C-48CC-BD29-8FD5EE7A3F7A_1582386334408.jpeg  
post #12 of 12 Old 02-28-2020, 07:42 PM
Raptor

For those of us that have the OEM rear tow hitch be aware the reason your Jeep didn't come equipped with a rear recovery hook (It is deleted when a factory tow hitch is installed) is that both these parts use the same left rear frame mounting point. You can have one or the other..... but not both from the factory.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in