Rear Driveshaft Woes - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ColdCase

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 05-12-2021, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
lesfoster

Rear Driveshaft Woes

My 2014 GC Summit 5.9 with 60k miles had a vibration coming from the rear which usually was noticed at slower speeds when accelerating and while turning. Noticed it intermittenty and it got progressively worse until it sometime shook like i was driving over a cattle guard. Dealership diagnosed a bad rear driveshaft which was on national back-order with no eta in sight. After waiting 6 weeks I talked them into installing a Dorman drive shaft so i could take off on vacation towing my 5000 lb travel trailer (my 5.7 L WK2 rated to tow 7200lbs). Drove 600 miles, unhooked trailer and problem was back even worse until i had to limp along with chirping noise and vibrations coming from the rear. So far after a different dealer taking 2 weeks to look at it they are saying its the rear driveshaft (again!). I dont know if there might be a deeper problem causing the failure. We are stranded away from home waiting on another drive shaft. By the way, the car had never towed a trailer before this trip and second driveshaft failure. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. it has been very frustrating trying to get any information from the dealership and I’m wondering if there is a problem that is causing the premature failures and if the technicians should be looking deeper than the obvious ‘bad driveshaft’. Thanks very much !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-12-2021, 11:22 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There have been several early model reports of rear subframe bushings/mounts rusting out and causing the drive shaft angles to become severe enough to ruin them. A couple of these are indexed in the maintenance/repair sticky.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...-saga-4340907/ note that by 2014 they are using a different coupler joint, but perhaps the subframe issue continues.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...olved-4412485/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...49/index2.html
LTopher likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in