radio staying on, 2014 Limited - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
KeepOnTruckin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York
Posts: 122
radio staying on, 2014 Limited

When the wife got home this afternoon in the 2014 Limited with the remote-start and navigation, the radio did not shut off when she opened the car door to get out. I restarted it a couple of times, and still no good--radio staying on.


I then started it with the remote, the shut it off with the remote, and the radio was off. But when I started it normally again, a couple of times, the radio again stayed on. So I remote started it and shut it off again so that the radio stayed off, and left it.



When I took it out a couple of hours later to run a few errands, it was normal and fine. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether trouble is starting for me? Thanks.

KeepOnTruckin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 02:56 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,138
You could try reseting everything by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.

There have been a few discussions, but I don't recall the outcome.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-13-2020, 03:33 PM
Jurassic_Jeep
Registered User
2014 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 458
if you aren't up to date, try updating your software or maybe reinstalling it if you are.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 3.6L V6.
Jurassic_Jeep is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 04:52 AM
7237
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
I have 2018 Summit, has happened to me several times. Always came back to normal. Last week had to take to dealer because after several hours still frozen. They managed to get it to turn off. Would not tell me what they did.
7237 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 06:41 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,138
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...n-off-4337347/

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...-call-4332483/

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 02-14-2020, 01:54 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepOnTruckin View Post
When the wife got home this afternoon in the 2014 Limited with the remote-start and navigation, the radio did not shut off when she opened the car door to get out. I restarted it a couple of times, and still no good--radio staying on.


I then started it with the remote, the shut it off with the remote, and the radio was off. But when I started it normally again, a couple of times, the radio again stayed on. So I remote started it and shut it off again so that the radio stayed off, and left it.



When I took it out a couple of hours later to run a few errands, it was normal and fine. Does anyone have any thoughts as to whether trouble is starting for me? Thanks.


Hi there KeepOnTruckin,
Thanks for reaching out on here. If you continue to notice your radio not functioning properly, feel free to send our team a PM. We would be happy to assist you alongside your dealer toward a solution!

Kathryn
JeepCares
JeepCares is online now  
post #7 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 05:53 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 113
i think these must be contagious, a few days after reading your post, the same thing happened to me. I just have the basic set up so this may not be the same thing that is happening in your vehicle.

When you press the start stop button it turns your engine off but then goes into ACC mode even though it doesn't say that on the VID. The radio will stay on until the default timer ~5 mins times out, or you open a door. What I noticed is when I opened the drivers door and the radio stayed on the interior light did not turn on. I looked for the door open switch, I am an an old guy so expected to find a plunger switch somewhere in the door jam but could see one. I think it must be inside the door and work on the hinge so I opened the passenger door and the interior lights came on and the radio went off.

I am reluctant to remove the door trim to investigate because you can never usually refit them properly. My plan is to see if I can see anything wrong with the flexible wiring between the car and the door because it looks like this can be disconnected without any major stress. I'll let you know how this goes.

I'd be interested to know if this is the same problem you are experiencing. Can you try opening the passenger door next time this happens?
Bilko is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 02-18-2020, 08:21 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,138
Before you do too much work, there is a thread, indexed in the repair sticky I think, about wires chafing in the hinge. The drivers ajar switch wire should be a VIO colored. It runs from the switch to the TIPM.

The door ajar switch itself is inside the door latch. I think you have to replace the latch, but you could try cleaning with WD40. The book says you do have to take the door panel off, window, and carrier plate to get at the latch to remove it, but I dunno. I do recall a few discussion threads, just not the detail.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 02-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 113
That could be it, I tried wriggling the tube and bingo the light came on.
Bilko is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 02-21-2020, 10:41 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 5,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko View Post
i think these must be contagious, a few days after reading your post, the same thing happened to me. I just have the basic set up so this may not be the same thing that is happening in your vehicle.

When you press the start stop button it turns your engine off but then goes into ACC mode even though it doesn't say that on the VID. The radio will stay on until the default timer ~5 mins times out, or you open a door. What I noticed is when I opened the drivers door and the radio stayed on the interior light did not turn on. I looked for the door open switch, I am an an old guy so expected to find a plunger switch somewhere in the door jam but could see one. I think it must be inside the door and work on the hinge so I opened the passenger door and the interior lights came on and the radio went off.

I am reluctant to remove the door trim to investigate because you can never usually refit them properly. My plan is to see if I can see anything wrong with the flexible wiring between the car and the door because it looks like this can be disconnected without any major stress. I'll let you know how this goes.

I'd be interested to know if this is the same problem you are experiencing. Can you try opening the passenger door next time this happens?

Hi Bilko,
If you are unable to remedy this on your own, please know that our team is available for additional assistance on top of your dealer visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares
JeepCares is online now  
post #11 of 14 Old 02-22-2020, 12:02 PM
7237
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 2
Well, my radio froze again for the fourth time yesterday. This time I parked
in the garage and left it. Checked several hrs. later and it was off. This seems like a common problem for a lot of UConnect Jeep radios with no solution.
7237 is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 02-22-2020, 12:33 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced
 
ColdCase's Avatar
2011 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: New England
Posts: 15,138
The only solution I've read that works most of the time is to replace the radio.There are quite a few troubleshooting steps, and usually the dealer needs to contact FCA support, to get that rolling.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
ColdCase is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 02-24-2020, 07:39 AM
Bilko
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 113
Did you try opening the front passenger door?
Bilko is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 02-24-2020, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
KeepOnTruckin
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
The only solution I've read that works most of the time is to replace the radio.There are quite a few troubleshooting steps, and usually the dealer needs to contact FCA support, to get that rolling.
Now I'm getting nervous. Have had no problem with the radio since I posted a couple of weeks ago, and now there's a bunch of them.

On the other hand--I woke up yesterday to a pool of engine oil under the transmission. Five and a half years/101,000 miles of never a drop of anything under it, and now it probably needs an oil cooler. (Going into the dealer this afternoon.) It was never recalled like it probably should have been, and now I have headaches. Makes me wonder when I can expect the same for our 2012 Wrangler.

Will probably have them do the spark plugs while they're in there.



KoT
KeepOnTruckin is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome