Questions : New 2021 GC Owner - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 07-28-2021, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
JeepJenni!

Questions : New 2021 GC Owner

Hi All first post here,

long time Dodge owner of 30 years and first time Jeep owner as of last night. Purchased a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude black badged w/ 20" Black rims

I have 2 questions on buying a few extras for the car when I pick it up on Saturday morning, as to floor & cargo mats which is better WeatherTech or the molded Jeep brand?

also I find that it's a little hard getting into the vehicle as it's a little higher then our Dodge Caravan is it worth getting Tubular Side Steps installed on this vehicle?

Attached Thumbnails
cu-0.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 07-28-2021, 11:14 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Jeep makes a very good cargo floor mat, their front mats are excellent, their rear mats may not cover as well as some others. If you like the plastic feel, WeatherTechs are good. They have a tendency to warp over the years. Husky also makes good floor mats to consider.

Best is a little subjective. They all have one weak point or another, and different strong points. Unless you want side protection, the MOPAR cargo mat is the best.

There have been a couple recent discussion on side step options. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back, I'll try to find one.

99SK04GTX likes this.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 04:50 AM
Roadijeff

Some people who have had Weathertech mats have complained about how things slide around on them since they are plastic. I have the Mopar mats and I like them a lot.

Go into your Engine Off options in the Settings in your uConnect and turn on the Easy Entry/Exit option. That will lower the suspension a bit when you turn the engine off and make things easier for you. Leave the doors closed until it finishes lowering or it will stop going down while a door is open.
99SK04GTX likes this.

post #4 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 07:16 AM
PwnCall

Garage
We have mopar in the jeep and I have weathertech in my Subaru. My weathertechs have not deformed in 5 years but they do get hard to clean the dirt kind of stains them, it kind of does on the mopar ones but not as bad.

Our mopar ones started breaking down at around 5-6 years, edges got rounded off.

The Jeep ones are very nice but I think the weathertechs have better coverage on the sides.

I think both are good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 07:53 AM
pkman

2020 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadijeff View Post
Some people who have had Weathertech mats have complained about how things slide around on them since they are plastic. I have the Mopar mats and I like them a lot.

Go into your Engine Off options in the Settings in your uConnect and turn on the Easy Entry/Exit option. That will lower the suspension a bit when you turn the engine off and make things easier for you. Leave the doors closed until it finishes lowering or it will stop going down while a door is open.
Altitude would not have air suspension

Current: 2020 Altitude, 3.6, tow package, QTII
Previous: 2002 WJ Overland,
1999 TJ Sport,
2003 Liberty,
1995 YJ
1965 CJ-5 - First vehicle - purchased 1976
1963 J-300
post #6 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 07:54 AM
9496ZJs
2016 WK 

I like the weather techs. Fronts and the single piece rear that protects the tranny tunnel hump.
post #7 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 08:01 AM
WK2Overland4X4

My sister in law is undertall and just got a 2020 Limited. They put the MOPAR Chrome step rails on and really like them, and they look great, obviously, you would probably get the black (which is cheaper I think).
For tall people or moderately tall people they are a hassle. You have to step out past them or in past them, so it actually makes it a little bit harder to get in without using them. To use them you are standing up on it then sitting down into the Jeep. Kind of like a car, compared to stepping up into it without them.
Basically, I suggest finding one with them and practicing getting in and out to see if overall it is better.
W.A.G. 5'9" and higher, they are a hindrance, 5'2" and under they are almost essential, in between, try them out first.

2021 Summit L 4X4 Bright White/Steel Gray, 3.6 , ProTech IV, Lux Tech V.
post #8 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 08:44 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
My sister in law is undertall and just got a 2020 Limited. They put the MOPAR Chrome step rails on and really like them, and they look great, obviously, you would probably get the black (which is cheaper I think).
For tall people or moderately tall people they are a hassle. You have to step out past them or in past them, so it actually makes it a little bit harder to get in without using them. To use them you are standing up on it then sitting down into the Jeep. Kind of like a car, compared to stepping up into it without them.
Basically, I suggest finding one with them and practicing getting in and out to see if overall it is better.
W.A.G. 5'9" and higher, they are a hindrance, 5'2" and under they are almost essential, in between, try them out first.
^ This. I find step bars/rails very effective at muddying up your pants unless you're so short you actually step on them VS over them.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #9 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 08:56 AM
PwnCall

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9496ZJs View Post
I like the weather techs. Fronts and the single piece rear that protects the tranny tunnel hump.
The mopar slush mats after 2014 are single piece reads too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 09:06 AM
WK2Overland4X4

As for mats, I wouldn't buy anything until the 2022s come out. And see if they will work on 2011-2021s at all. My 2021 L Summit has nice up-level Berber mats that are pretty dang sweet. Also, (I have no idea why it took decades for this) the rear cargo mat is actually... Carpet on one side and rubber on the other! Who'd a thunk it?

2021 Summit L 4X4 Bright White/Steel Gray, 3.6 , ProTech IV, Lux Tech V.
post #11 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 10:26 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Rock rails make nice steps when the door is open, and don't stick out far enough to soil past legs.

Off road animal makes something like this: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309.../#post41284047

The MOPAR rock rails (P/N 82213525AD if you can get them) also make a nice step when the doors are open.

This thread discusses both steps and rails: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...sible-4339287/

post #12 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
JeepJenni!

some of you mentioned Mopar mats, are you talking about the rubber Jeep mats or another made by Mopar?
We have long winters so the mats are for snow, salt & sand which our city used in the winters.

Hate it when the sand embeds into the carpets. I was thinking of Weathertech as it looks to have good coverage on the sides but asked incase there are better options.
post #13 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 12:55 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The MOPAR mats are thick rubber. They can hold a bit of slush. Some of the aftermarket mats have holes in then to accommodate the tie downs, which is a leak point.

post #14 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 02:34 PM
96GrandJeepers

Living in a snowy area as well, I chose "Husky" mats and have been very happy with them. They fit well and keep all the mud and slush contained. Here are a couple of pics on the fit.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5904.jpg   IMG_5905.jpg  
99SK04GTX likes this.

2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
2018 Cherokee Latitude Plus
1996 Grand Cherokee Limited ~ Sold 12/2018
post #15 of 34 Old 07-29-2021, 10:41 PM
jas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK2Overland4X4 View Post
As for mats, I wouldn't buy anything until the 2022s come out. And see if they will work on 2011-2021s at all. My 2021 L Summit has nice up-level Berber mats that are pretty dang sweet. Also, (I have no idea why it took decades for this) the rear cargo mat is actually... Carpet on one side and rubber on the other! Who'd a thunk it?
My previous ride a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland had Berber mats and the 2-sided cargo mat (carpet/rubber). Disappointed to see flimsy thin carpets on my 2021 JGC HA.

With a brand new body style for 2022 I really doubt it if the mats for a 2022 JGC will work on any earlier model year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in