Quadralift lift kit - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
BEEFstew1990

2001 WJ 

Garage
Quadralift lift kit

Hello, I purchased a 2015 grand cherokee summit with the 3.6 a month or so ago. I understand that no one is making a lift kit for the quadralift. This air ride system is new to me but I was wondering what's stopping me from putting spacers on and making new links for the ride sensors so they work the same as stock? Is this possible or any other ideas without just changing everything out to non-quardralift suspension? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There are a bunch of threads on the subject, if no one jumps in here I'll try to find the best one. There are a wide variety of issues, mostly about the computer program, fault lights, and the suspension trying to push the A arms through the bump stops.

What do you want to happen if you select Rock mode? Or ORA2 level?

It may make more sense to swap out air suspension components with steel springs, there is a kit available for that.

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 23 Old 02-12-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
BEEFstew1990

2001 WJ 

Garage
Is it going to set off a bunch of warning lights when you remove the air suspension?

post #4 of 23 Old 02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFstew1990 View Post
Is it going to set off a bunch of warning lights when you remove the air suspension?
Yes, it will. These vehicles are highly computerized and as such, when something "goes missing", you're stuck with the lights (and codes).

Rocky Road is coming out with a replacement "kit", but that's not going to resolve the computer issues. If you really don't want the QL, the best play might be to trade the vehicle for a lower trim level that doesn't have it...which is the Limited (without ORA-II) or a Laredo.

• 2012 JGC Summit Hemi
• 2016 Subaru Outback Limited
• 2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #5 of 23 Old 02-12-2019, 01:42 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEFstew1990 View Post
Rocky Road is a little late to the table, but with the $1000 StrutMasters kit talked about here a few months ago, you would get a short service air suspension notice when you first start up which you can ignore, thats about it. By now they may have figured out how to avoid that, I think someone was working on a setting you could change via AlfaODB... but I'd have to double check.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...n-end-4315209/

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
post #6 of 23 Old 02-12-2019, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
BEEFstew1990

2001 WJ 

Garage
Yea it would be awesome if they made it so you wouldn't receive any warning lights. I'd hate to have a vehicle as nice as it is and ruin it with a warning light yelling at me all the time lol
post #7 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 12:10 AM
indydof

I have added spacers and lifted my quadralift. Works well.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 09:00 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
Chief Products has an actual lift in the works. The Tru-Lift is in development. The goal is 2-3 inches of lift (minimum), and full compatibility with the factory Quadralift or springs with no errors or codes and increased wheel travel. I signed up early and have been in contact with them. Expect testing and hopefully a general release this year.

2017 Trailhawk
Active Safety, Luxury group, Blind spot detection
Hemi
Rock Rails, Chief Products
post #9 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 01:18 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Interesting. They must be planning to use some kind of frame lift approach like has been done for RAMs. Without the frame lift any CV joints and axles aren't going to handle lifts near 3 inch for long, let alone higher. Without a frame lift, one could mitigate the angles by fitting longer control arms/half shafts with a bit of metal cutting.

Of course Chief may have discovered an alternate universe with different laws of physics that a couple well known outfits here maybe 5 years ago couldn't figure out. They had a similar goal and actually got as far as prototyping. They abandoned it when they figured out that few will want to but over 10 grand into a WK2 lift that becomes unstable at speeds over 50 mph, with 25 grand option for more stability. There was also some concerns about litigation, I think. Lets hope Chief is more clever and doesn't end up bursting our bubble like has been done dozens of times before.... call me skeptical

post #10 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 02:07 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
I wish I had more details. I do know it's going to be expensive. How much, I cannot say. I do know the target price was under $3K. If it starts with aero now being equivalent to "normal" there would be no stability issues. Regular suspension doesn't lower itself at speed. Even slightly higher than the normal setting shouldn't cause any trouble. The plan is that the QL still has all the normal functions and settings, just starting at a higher position. If we actually see more travel, then I expect longer arms/shafts. We should have more info in the next few months.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #11 of 23 Old 02-18-2020, 05:08 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Doesn't sound like much new then. I was commenting more about the 3+ inches of lift. 2¾ is relatively easy but there have been several premature CV joint failures. 2 inch is a nice compromise number. The only way to reliably exceed the similar RAM suspension constraints is putting spacers between the suspension cradles and body.

Regular QL lifts by stiffening the springs. It lowers automatically from Level 2 and Level 1 once you reach a certain speed, for stability. I think its the combination of stiffer springs and CG that is of concern. Recall the moose test roll over of what seems like a decade ago? I can imagine the fun it would be after hit a little rise or pothole when driving 50mph down a highway at ORA2 level while bouncing across the lanes I exaggerate, of course.

Coil spring lifts, either by spacers or extended coils, changes hub location but doesn't affect spring stiffness, so the concern is more about CG than bouncing off the highway. There are several of these conversions, but none reliable higher than a 2¾ lift or so. Custom fab shops can do better for off road (slow speed) toys.

post #12 of 23 Old 02-19-2020, 08:39 AM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
The new would be lifting a QL WK2 without codes or errors. I have yet to see it done successfully.

From the in development page:

FEATURES:
Provides lift options greater than 3” (77mm).
Provide 2” (50mm) kit for regions with legal restrictions, (Australia, etc.).
Available for Coil Sprung or Quadra-Lift equipped WK2s.
Doesn’t limit Quadra-Lift functionality.
Compatible with all electronic systems, (no error codes).
Ability to run larger tyres.
Provides increased wheel travel

A solid 2" would be good. How they intend to provide an option to lift over 3" may be a combination of cradle drop and longer arms/shafts.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #13 of 23 Old 02-19-2020, 02:54 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The trouble with the WK2 is you need more than a lift to fit larger tires. There is just not much room for much more 33s under there without serious surgery.

You don't get QL error codes unless you remove parts. There is a controller out there that makes it easy to adjust ride height, been waiting for someone to add more smarts to allow more flexibility and inexpensively. Recall one of the projects here years ago put QL springs and compressor in a coil sprung WK2 with a custom control. They fit 33s (which gives some ground clearance in itself) but was not able to crack the 3 inch barrier. Last I heard that project WK2 was for sale.

A "2 inch" lift is easy.

post #14 of 23 Old 02-19-2020, 06:11 PM
Fast55

2017 WK 

Garage
A 2" lift is easy on a WK2 without QL. There is no commercially available controller that "lifts" QL that I'm aware of. Re-calibrating ride height is not a lift IMO. Adding longer arms or cradle extensions is a lift.

I agree there are severe limits on tire size regardless of lift, but starting out 2-3 inches above normal height should make room for 33's with maybe a little trimming. No major surgery should be required.

The TH was introduced with 33's and not a lot of hacking on the wheel wells. That's all most folks would want anyway. Beyond 33's you're going to have issues with unsprung weight on everything and gearing will be an issue even if the computers don't start choking. I think a reliable way to lift enough to support 33's would sell, even if it's a little on the expensive side. I'm hoping for the best and will report back.

2017 Trailhawk
Hemi
post #15 of 23 Old 02-20-2020, 03:45 PM
indydof

A 2 inch spacer lift with quadralift is also easy. This is a reliable way to lift to fit 33's. I'm not sure why people keep insisting that it is more difficult than it is.
Step 1. Add spacers front and rear.
Step 2. Adjust height using adjustable links or AlfaOBD.
Step 3. Add 33inch tyres.
Attached Thumbnails
20190416_115031.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in