quadra lift nightmare - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Freddybeach123
2011 WK 

quadra lift nightmare

Hi everyone. Looking for help. 2011 jeep grand cherokee overland. Air suspension always worked up until 2 months ago. Actually the air suspension works great in all modes; after sitting for approx. 8+ hours the front end sags down. When I start the Jeep it pumps itself up to normal ride level. All levels work even aero mode and exit. Park suv leave 8+ hours front end sagging again. Took to dealer and it asked for a relay. Replace relay didn't work. Was told I needed to replace compressor. They said module looked fine. $2100 and labour. This included new lines and valve block. Just picked it up last night and took it home.($2600 cnd) Parked it in the garage came out this morning and guess what front end sagging down what the heck. Could it be the module. I told the dealer I hope they saved the parts they took off because they were obviously not the problem. Thoughts or ideas???? Anyone experience the same thing????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 11:35 AM
kabjeep
2018 WK 

Sell it, I wouldnt keep a jeep with air suspension after the warranty ended.
Privateer13 likes this.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 11:40 AM
smseargeant

How many miles? I've got 160k on my 2014. No issues with suspension so far. I'd ask them to fix whatevers left to fix pro-bono and reimburse any extra for selling you a service that you didnt need.

Anyhow, I'd never go straight for the compressor when it's just a leak.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:13 PM
woodsy18

The air lines to the front struts in the engine bay leak and that's the start of the problem. My connectors at the struts started to leak. Had to have the whole front harness changed. 6months go by compressor failure. Moisture got in it and rusted it out. Also the front air harness was damaged again when the compressor failed. All on my 12 gc with 43k miles only. So far the air suspension has been replaced besides the rear lines. Seriously waiting for those to go over the next year.
Good luck
Woodsy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:17 PM
smseargeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy18 View Post
The air lines to the front struts in the engine bay leak and that's the start of the problem. My connectors at the struts started to leak. Had to have the whole front harness changed. 6months go by compressor failure. Moisture got in it and rusted it out. Also the front air harness was damaged again when the compressor failed. All on my 12 gc with 43k miles only. So far the air suspension has been replaced besides the rear lines. Seriously waiting for those to go over the next year.
Good luck
Woodsy

All air compressors get condensed water inside and should be drained regularly. Not sure how to do this on the Jeep. Something to look into I guess.

post #6 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:18 PM
smseargeant

I love to quadralift when I go 4x4 trails here in CO. The extra lift in Off Road 2 is nece and Off Road 1 is still silky smooth ride.

post #7 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:19 PM
woodsy18

Quote:
Originally Posted by smseargeant View Post
All air compressors get condensed water inside and should be drained regularly. Not sure how to do this on the Jeep. Something to look into I guess.

The jeep is a closed system with nitrogen. No air is used so no moisture. The moisture comes from a leak in a line, fitting or compressor failure. My front harness failed with a leak. Moisture got into the system and the compressor failed soon after. Makes sense from the prior leak

post #8 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 PM
smseargeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsy18 View Post
The jeep is a closed system with nitrogen. No air is used so no moisture. The moisture comes from a leak in a line, fitting or compressor failure. My front harness failed with a leak. Moisture got into the system and the compressor failed soon after. Makes sense from the prior leak

Good and bad news I guess.

post #9 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddybeach123 View Post
Hi everyone. Looking for help. 2011 jeep grand cherokee overland. Air suspension always worked up until 2 months ago. Actually the air suspension works great in all modes; after sitting for approx. 8+ hours the front end sags down. When I start the Jeep it pumps itself up to normal ride level. All levels work even aero mode and exit. Park suv leave 8+ hours front end sagging again. Took to dealer and it asked for a relay. Replace relay didn't work. Was told I needed to replace compressor. They said module looked fine. $2100 and labour. This included new lines and valve block. Just picked it up last night and took it home.($2600 cnd) Parked it in the garage came out this morning and guess what front end sagging down what the heck. Could it be the module. I told the dealer I hope they saved the parts they took off because they were obviously not the problem. Thoughts or ideas???? Anyone experience the same thing????
There is a leak somewhere either in the valve body, air lines, fitting, or air bag, most likely the front. If its been cold, the plastic lines shrink a little and fittings can leak. There is probably a slow leak in one of the lines/fittings they replaced. It may have been fine in their warmer shop, but once outside the hose shrinks enough to leak. It happens to the best of them.

On the other hand, I dunno what relay the dealer initially replaced, but there are none that would cause this problem. That has me suspect that you didn't get a decent tech the first time.

Anyway tell the dealer you are not happy with their work as you have a leak somewhere in all the parts they replaced. They should do a leak test, which is basically soaping down the connections and wiggle them and look for bubbles.

Its not the controller.

Its a leak.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #10 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:37 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The system is not entirely closed as when the fill drops enough, the compressor will draw in outside air through a desiccant dryer to make up for it. When you have a more than typical leak, moisture eventually soaks the desiccant and makes its way into the valves and compressor where it can corrode and freeze. But the typical failure mode for these is that, when there is a leak, the low duty cycle type german designed compressor will run often and has a tendency to overheat or wear out. This is the main reason we advise to have any suspect leak fixed promptly.

post #11 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smseargeant View Post
How many miles? I've got 160k on my 2014. No issues with suspension so far. I'd ask them to fix whatevers left to fix pro-bono and reimburse any extra for selling you a service that you didnt need.

Anyhow, I'd never go straight for the compressor when it's just a leak.

Yeah there are thousands of high mileage QL vehicles out there without issue. There are a few that break, however, most notably in the far northern cold climates. They can be expensive to fix right. It helps if the shop's tech staff has experience and knows what they are doing. Many dealer's staff don't have a clue and thats usually when we see bigger issues.

post #12 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:48 PM
smseargeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
Yeah there are thousands of high mileage QL vehicles out there without issue. There are a few that break, however, most notably in the far northern cold climates. They can be expensive to fix right. It helps if the shop's tech staff has experience and knows what they are doing. Many dealer's staff don't have a clue and thats usually when we see bigger issues.
I'm a little worried now. It not uncommon to have sub-freezing and even negative temps for weeks at a time where I'm at.

post #13 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 12:56 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sub freezing is not an issue, its when you get -30F for weeks on end

post #14 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 01:19 PM
woodsy18

The temps are not that big of an issue as snow and ice freezing to everything. Had to leave my jeep out in a blizzard in Iowa this year. 13 inches of wet blowing snow came in 6hrs and it was frozen. Had to leave it inside for 8hrs inside my heated garage to thaw it out.

post #15 of 23 Old 01-08-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Freddybeach123
2011 WK 

Thanks everyone. They replaced the lines when they replaced the compressor. And the valve block. The jeep has 145,000 km's on it. common sense told me it was a leak somewhere up front. They said that Chrysler recommended 1) replace relay 2) replace module 3) replace compressor. Both sides drop equally when left sitting. This is left in a heated garage so don't see how temperature would be a factor? Compressor does not turn on after the jeep is turned off as I thought it was supposed to?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in