QTII Transfer Case Clicking, Stuck in 4Low, Service 4WD Consolidated - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 78 Old 02-22-2021, 03:37 PM
loki87PL

Ad 1 what is the routine? Maybe have you a www ?

Ad 2 sensor i will replace from the second wk2 maybe in wednesday

Ad 3 maybe that won't be it

the oil is normal - have recently changed with the motor

Wysłane z mojego SM-G973F przy użyciu Tapatalka

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 02-22-2021, 06:44 PM
blanchardfamily

Thanks so much for the advice. I took it to my local dealer since I don't have a scan tool and they said the advice looked really good but suggested changing the transmission fluid at the same time as this also helped to solve issues with this transfer case. Unfortunately they had run out of fluid and the NZ distributor also had none in country so I had to wait 6 weeks for it to arrive.
So on Monday they changed the oil but the "kiss" procedure didn't work as they could not clear the fault codes, and the problem remains.

One thing I did test was taking out the shift motor and rotating the shift fork all the way anti-clockwise, then counting the number of clockwise turns until it reached the stop position (16 turns). I then rotated it back half way (8 turns). This didn't help.

I was wondering if it may help to manually rotate the shift fork 1 rotation at a time and see if I could get it back in sync. It would be quite a time consuming hassle to do this up to 16 times, so am keen to know if you think it would be worthwhile to try? It would require me to: remove shift motor, rotate shift fork 1 turn, reinstall shift motor, road test, repeat x 16 (or until problem solved).

Or is there anything else I should try?
post #33 of 78 Old 03-01-2021, 03:01 PM
loki87PL

Hello
Thanks.
It doesn't work.

So we changed the electronics just once to be sure. It didn't change anything, so we took the tc undressed

we dismantled tc we found it broken inside ... well, I don't know what the name of this element is.

post #34 of 78 Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 PM
loki87PL

Found it

68026906AB

post #35 of 78 Old 03-01-2021, 04:17 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

That'll do it. Wonder what broke it, is the case jammed up inside?

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #36 of 78 Old 03-02-2021, 12:00 AM
loki87PL

no. Everything is moving. I think it's fatigue of the material

post #37 of 78 Old 03-04-2021, 02:27 PM
loki87PL

I think that I broke this fork when I turned the motor ... man learns from his mistakes.

fixed. complex. everything works.

one worries me. on the replaced module, on the display in the drive menu, a lock is displayed on the rear differential. driving is not affected.
when should this lock be displayed? I am looking for reason in the module, because another module - the third one, from my brother's car - does not display this icon.

post #38 of 78 Old 03-04-2021, 05:26 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The differential is controlled by the ELSD control module. It can be locked in rock or snow modes up to a certain speed, maybe mud. It can lock if you hammer the throttle. Otherwise shouldn't be locked, especially above 10-15 mph. If you raise the two rear tires off the ground with the transmission in park, can you spin them by hand?

So if one module is indicating lock while the other is not, then I'd suspect a bad module.

post #39 of 78 Old 03-07-2021, 11:46 AM
loki87PL

hello it turns out that the mentioned module comes from crd along with elsd on the rear axle

crd has a 3.45 axle ratio, 3.6 v6 has 3.07 - does such a module affect anything apart from switching the reducer?

the car drives normally, do I have reasons to be concerned?

post #40 of 78 Old 03-07-2021, 12:10 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Looks like they use the same module in all 2014-2020 ELSD equipped vehicles (5150734AE). So the hardware is common. If there is functional differences between models, the module software will be configured by the PCM on startup.

Just to be clear, the ESLD differential is not a switch in/out type. It is a variable rate. The ESLD module controls how much the differential actuator squeezes the differential clutch pack, similar in operation to the transfer case clutch pack.

Drive without any concern.

The Electronic Limited Slip Differential Module (ELDSM) is a microprocessor-based assembly, controlling the rear axle. The ELSDM controls slip from left to right within the rear differential. The ELSDM controls an electric motor which drives a gear set which moves a ball ramp to apply force to a wet clutch. This clutch is used to control torque split. Motor position feedback is done with two hall effect sensors on the motor. There is also a temperature sensor on the motor. ELSD will be temporarily disabled with high temperatures on the motor. Communication is via the CAN serial bus. Inputs include: Vehicle speed, Wheel speed, Terrain mode ELSD position sensor, and VIN, odometer for diagnostics. Outputs include: Actual rear differential torque, ELSD status, and PWM control of rear ELSD motor.

post #41 of 78 Old 03-07-2021, 03:38 PM
loki87PL

I bought the driver with the same number, but I do not have elsd and the module comes from the car with elsd

Thank you very much for the extensive explanation
I understand how elsd works, I was more concerned with the difference between the axle ratio in the hardware and the programming, but I'm calmer.

I will not pay attention to the padlock on the display

post #42 of 78 Old 03-07-2021, 05:09 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Sorry, looks like they also use the same transfer case control module in all 2014-2015 WK2s. So its common hardware, software configured by the PCM based on VIN.

Dunno why the lock would be displayed on a Jeep without ELSD. Sounds like a software glitch or perhaps something was modified via the AlfaOBD.

post #43 of 78 Old 03-08-2021, 12:44 AM
loki87PL

after vin via pcm ok, that is, unassigned vin should not be a problem
in alfaobd I have not changed anything, only a non-volatile memory reset, at which the lock disappears for a moment - 3 seconds and reappears

what could i change in alfaodb? in which place?

post #44 of 78 Old 05-16-2021, 01:23 AM
calwdeeohh

2014 WK 

Garage
2014 SRT8 Transfer Case issue

Hello Members!

I'm new to this forum to maybe get some help with my 2014 SRT8 6.4. I'm a motorcycle mechanic and can fix a lot of things myself which is necesarry because there aren't any shops here which know these cars and parts very good.

Now to the actual problem:

A few weeks ago I noticed that the T-Case (MP 3023) is binding on turns. I didn't drive it a lot anymore to prevent damage. I noticed that the T-Case motor was ticking, when I start the car, shift or change driving modes. So i ordered a new T-Case motor from RockAuto. Installed it and there was no change. So then i thought maybe it's the position Sensor giving fault informations, so I ordered this one of Rockauto to. Installed it with the information from this site (I can't post it since I'm new). Mike Weinbergs "Exploring Some of the Mystery in the MP3023 Transfer Case" writeup.

Unfortunately, this didn't fix it either. If i plug the motor in when it's not installed, it only does like 3 cycles and then shuts off without any ticking noise. The shaft which it operates in the T-Case is moving without any force or grinding noise.
The oil inside the T-Case is looking brand new, no shavings, chips or anything and it doesn't smell burnt.
Also when i pull the fuse to drive in RWD, it drives perfectly fine without grinding or binding.

I'm pretty sure it's an electronical issue, not a mechanical.

I currently have no option to relearn the T-Case motor, is that necessary? Also, there was a saved code in the DTCM - C1406-12. But no lights are displayed on the dash and I couldn't get it to save this code again.

I hope someone can help me fix this problem! Thanks in advance.
post #45 of 78 Old 05-16-2021, 07:25 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Most shops replace both the motor and control module to solve these kinds of things. One can burn out the other.

Otherwise its usually an internal transfer case issue, the case is stuck in 4WD and the shift motor cant dislodge it or the shift fork is broken. The shaft spins freely but nothing is moving.

There is no relearn, but there is a "kiss" calibration procedure that can be run.

There are several threads on the subject here. If no one jumps in here by the time I get back, I'll try to find a good one.

C1406-12 is a transfer case brake control shorted to battery. The motor has a couple motion sensors, and a brake. The controller, releases the motor's brake, spins the motor to where it wants, and then sets the brake to hold it there.

Possible causes:

(T301) TRANSFER CASE MOTOR LOCK SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T301) SWITCHED BATTERY SOLENOID SUPPLY CIRCUIT SHORTED TO VOLTAGE
(T317) TRANSFER CASE MOTOR LOCK SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSFER CASE MOTOR ACTUATOR
DRIVE TRAIN CONTROL MODULE (DTCM)

So you may want to investigate if the brake circuit is faulty and not releasing or Drive Train controller is not releasing the brake. When that code is active, you should get a service 4WD message. By the way, the control module may be called different names depending on model year and who you talk to.

So the typical course of events is to check for harness damage or corrosion in connectors, replace both the actuator (motor) and control module, if no joy replace the transfer case.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in