QT2 on my WK2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Salvinorum

2020 WK 

Question QT2 on my WK2

I think this is my first post here. I read the manual front to back, but still I don't totally get how the Quadra-Trac II works. I have a dial in the center of my 2020 WK2, it says SNOW, MUD, AUTO, SAND ROCK I think.

Now, all I have to do is go into one of those modes if I need to right? There is no need to also go to the 4WD-LO which is another button I have? That one is specifically for slow 4WD driving or if I'm being towed?

There is another button bellow the 4WD-LO, which I believe is my jeep going downhill. Can I use that by itself, or in combination with the 4WD-LO?

Basically I want to know which of those are to be used by themselves, and which require another mode to be active, it's totally unclear in the manual, and really YouTube is usually amazing for this type of thing but not for this.

For example, for ROCK driving, I would guess you would need to go to 4WD-LO mode first then select the ROCK? But for the rest, you just select them and let the truck do it automatically without going into 4WD-LO?

I'm too much of a chicken and love my Jeep too much to just screw around with the dials until something works, I still haven't used any of the modes even once, and I'm at 3000miles on it.

Thanx all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 07:05 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Nothing more to do besides spinning the dial and having fun. There have been changes from model year to model year, but for 2020 I think rock mode automatically shifts to low range for you. So you wouldn't want to use that on dry pavement. Rock mode is the only one that can damage the drivetrain on dry pavement. But it will automatically kick out above a certain speed.

The hill decent button (Jeep going downhill) activates a low speed cruise control.

There is a neutral button for flat towing.

If you get into a off road situation you want 4Low, its there if you want it. Normally you wouldn't touch it.

This thread linked in the FAQ has a bit more technical description.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...stems-1177616/

Do not mistake temptation for opportunity
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Salvinorum

2020 WK 

Thanks. I think I understand now. If it's snowy, I use snow but don't worry about anything else. If I'm on the beach, use sand. Mud, in the rare circumstance, ok. But I figure AUTO does all that anyway, but I'm guessing the mode forces whatever AUTO may do anyway to be on all the time.

So, putting on 4WD-LO or ROCK is identical? Use one or the other, the same thing happens to the JEEP, is my understanding.

I would like to learn about the downhill thing, so it prevents the Jeep from going too fast, it applies breaks automatically to some predetermined speed? Why would I use that on a steep hill down rather than 4WD-LO? Sorry if I still seem confused, just want to get it right for the summer when I may actually be in a situation like that. That being said, I never needed SNOW throughout the winter even in snow storms, AUTO was amazing, with my winter tires

post #4 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 08:58 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is Hill Decent which automatically applies brakes, and Select Speed Control, which does both brakes and engine torque. The User Guide has the following words. Looks like you may need 4low engaged before using either of them:

Hill Descent Control (HDC)
HDC is intended for low speed off road driving while in 4WD Low Range. HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills during various driving situations. HDC controls vehicle speed by actively controlling the brakes

HDC Has Three States:
1. Off (feature is not enabled and will not activate).
2. Enabled (feature is enabled and ready but activation conditions are not met, or driver is actively overriding with brake or throttle application).
3. Active (feature is enabled and actively controlling vehicle speed).

Enabling HDC
HDC is enabled by pushing the HDC switch, but the following conditions must also be met to enable HDC:
• Driveline is in 4WD Low Range.
• Vehicle speed is below 5 mph (8 km/h). • Parking brake is released.
• Driver door is closed.

Activating HDC
Once HDC is enabled it will activate auto- matically if driven down a grade of sufficient magnitude. The set speed for HDC is select-
able by the driver, and can be adjusted by using the gear shift +/-. The following summarizes the HDC set speeds:
HDC Target Set Speeds
• P = No set speed. HDC may be enabled but will not activate.
• R=0.6mph(1km/h)
• N = 1.2 mph (2 km/h)
• D=0.6mph(1km/h)
• 1st = 0.6 mph (1 km/h)
• 2nd = 1.2 mph (2 km/h)
• 3rd = 1.8 mph (3 km/h)
• 4th = 2.5 mph (4 km/h)
• 5th = 3.1 mph (5 km/h)
• 6th = 3.7 mph (6 km/h)
• 7th = 4.3 mph (7 km/h)
• 8th = 5.0 mph (8 km/h)
• 9th = 5.6 mph (9 km/h) – If Equipped

NOTE:
During HDC the +/- shifter input is used for HDC target speed selection, but will not af- fect the gear chosen by the transmission. When actively controlling HDC the transmis- sion will shift appropriately for the driver- selected set speed and corresponding driving conditions.

Driver Override
The driver may override HDC activation with throttle or brake application at anytime.

Deactivating HDC
HDC will be deactivated but remain available if any of the following conditions occur:
• Driver overrides HDC set speed with throttle or brake application.
• Vehicle speed exceeds 20 mph (32 km/h) but remains below 40 mph (64 km/h).
• Vehicle is on a downhill grade of insuffi- cient magnitude, is on level ground, or is on an uphill grade.
• Vehicle is shifted to park.

Disabling HDC
HDC will be deactivated and disabled if any of the following conditions occur:
• The driver pushes the HDC switch.
• The driveline is shifted out of 4WD Low Range.
• The parking brake is applied.
• Driver door opens.
• The vehicle is driven greater than 20 mph (32 km/h) for greater than 70 seconds.
• The vehicle is driven greater than 40 mph (64 km/h) (HDC exits immediately).
• HDC detects excessive brake temperature.

Feedback To The Driver
The instrument cluster has an HDC icon and the HDC switch has an LED icon, which offers feedback to the driver about the state HDC is in.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will illu- minate and remain on solid when HDC is enabled or activated. This is the normal operating condition for HDC.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash for several seconds then extinguish when the driver pushes the HDC switch but en- able conditions are not met.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash for several seconds then extinguish when HDC disables due to excess speed.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash when HDC deactivates due to overheated brakes. The flashing will stop and HDC will activate again once the brakes have cooled sufficiently.

WARNING!
HDC is only intended to assist the driver in controlling vehicle speed when descend- ing hills. The driver must remain attentive to the driving conditions and is respon- sible for maintaining a safe vehicle speed.

SELECT SPEED CONTROL

SSC is intended for off road driving in 4WD Low Range only. SSC maintains vehicle speed by actively controlling engine torque and brakes.
1. Off (feature is not enabled and will not activate).
2. Enabled (feature is enabled and ready but activation conditions are not met, or driver is actively overriding with brake or throttle application).
3. Active (feature is enabled and actively controlling vehicle speed).

Enabling SSC
SSC is enabled by pushing the SSC switch, but the following conditions must also be met to enable SSC:
• Driveline is in 4WD Low Range.
• Vehicle speed is below 5 mph (8 km/h). • Parking brake is released.
• Driver door is closed.
• Driver is not applying throttle.

Activating SSC
Once SSC is enabled it will activate automati- cally once the following conditions are met:
• Driver releases throttle.
• Driver releases brake.
• Transmission is in any selection other than P. • Vehicle speed is below 20 mph (32 km/h).

The set speed for SSC is selectable by the driver, and can be adjusted by using the gear shift +/-. Additionally, the SSC set speed may be reduced when climbing a grade and the level of set speed reduction depends on the magnitude of grade. The following summa- rizes the SSC set speeds:
SSC Target Set Speeds
•1st=.6mph(1km/h) •2nd=1.2mph(2km/h) •3rd=1.8mph(3km/h) •4th=2.5mph(4km/h) •5th=3.1mph(5km/h) • 6th = 3.7 mph (6 km/h)
•7th=4.3mph(7km/h)
•8th=5mph(8km/h)
• 9th = 5.6 mph (9 km/h) – If Equipped
• REVERSE = .6 mph (1 km/h)
• NEUTRAL = 1.2 mph (2 km/h)
• PARK = SSC remains enabled but not active

NOTE:
• During SSC the +/- shifter input is used for SSC target speed selection but will not affect the gear chosen by the transmission. While actively controlling SSC the trans- mission will shift appropriately for the driver-selected set speed and correspond- ing driving conditions.
• SSC performance is influenced by the Ter- rain Select mode. This difference may be notable to the driver and may be perceived as a varying level of aggressiveness.

Driver Override:
The driver may override SSC activation with throttle or brake application at any time.
Deactivating SSC
SSC will be deactivated but remain available if any of the following conditions occur:
• Driver overrides SSC set speed with throttle or brake application.
• Vehicle speed exceeds 20 mph (32 km/h) but remains below 40 mph (64 km/h).
• Vehicle is shifted to PARK.

Disabling SSC
SSC will deactivate and be disabled if any of the following conditions occur:
• The driver pushes the SSC switch.
• The driveline is shifted out of 4WD Low Range.
• The parking brake is applied.
• Driver door opens.
• The vehicle is driven greater than 20 mph (32 km/h) for greater than 70 seconds.
• The vehicle is driven greater than 40 mph (64 km/h) (SSC exits immediately).

Feedback To The Driver:
The instrument cluster has an SSC icon and the SSC switch has an LED which offer feed- back to the driver about the state SSC is in.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will illu- minate and remain on solid when SSC is enabled or activated. This is the normal operating condition for SSC.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash for several seconds then extinguish when the driver pushes the SSC switch but en- able conditions are not met.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash for several seconds then extinguish when SSC disables due to excess speed.
• The cluster icon and switch lamp will flash then extinguish when SSC deactivates due to overheated brakes.

WARNING!
SSC is only intended to assist the driver in controlling vehicle speed when driving in off road conditions. The driver must re- main attentive to the driving conditions and is responsible for maintaining a safe vehicle speed.

post #5 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 09:03 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The traction control computer is programmed with different algorithms for the selected modes. For example, snow mode will start in second gear. So selecting Rock mode isn't necessarily the same as selecting low range, but there may not be much difference unless you have air suspension or Quadradrive options. The other modes change the amount of torque split between front and rear and how aggressive traction control is.

Normal mode is a compromise setting, for normal everyday street driving.

post #6 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 09:14 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

SELEC-TERRAIN — The mode knob

Selec-Terrain combines the capabilities of the vehicle control systems, along with driver input, to provide the best performance for all terrains.

Selec-Terrain Switch
Selec-Terrain consists of the following positions:
• Snow – Tuning set for additional stability in inclement weather. Use on and off road on loose traction surfaces such as snow. When in Snow mode (depending on certain operating conditions), the transmission may use second gear (rather than first gear) during launches, to minimize wheel slippage. If equipped with air suspension, the default ride height for Snow is Normal Ride Height (NRH).
• Auto – Fully automatic full time four-wheel drive operation can be used on and off road. Balances traction with seamless steering feel to provide improved handling and acceleration over two-wheel drive vehicles. If equipped with air suspension, the level will change to Normal Ride Height (NRH).
• Sand – Off road calibration for use on low traction surfaces such as sand or wet grass. Driveline is maximized for traction. Some binding may be felt on less forgiving surfaces. The electronic brake controls are set to limit traction control management of throttle and wheel spin. If equipped with air suspension, the default ride height for Sand is Normal Ride Height (NRH).
• Mud – Off road calibration for use on low traction surfaces such as mud. Driveline is maximized for traction. Some binding may be felt on less forgiving surfaces. The electronic brake controls are set to limit traction control management of throttle and wheel spin. If equipped with air suspension, the level will change to Off Road 1.
• Rock – Off road calibration only available in 4WD Low range. The vehicle is raised (if equipped with Air Suspension) for improved ground clearance. Traction based tuning with improved steerability for use on high traction off-road surfaces. Use for low speed obstacles such as large rocks, deep ruts, etc. If equipped with air suspension, the vehicle level will change to Off- Road 2. If the Selec-Terrain switch is in ROCK mode, and the transfer case is switched from 4WD Low to 4WD High, the Selec-Terrain system will return to AUTO.

NOTE:
Activate the Hill Descent Control or Selec Speed Control for steep downhill control. See “Electronic Brake Control System” in this section for further information.

Instrument Cluster Display Messages
When the appropriate conditions exist, a message will appear in the instrument clus- ter. Refer to “Instrument Cluster Display” in “Getting To Know Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

post #7 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The descriptions can be a bit confusing, no problem asking questions, there are several here that change modes routinely. They usually swing by once a day or so. The system is not going to let you hurt it. Just avoid 4Low on a paved parking lot as that is hard on the drivetrain.

post #8 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 09:47 AM
SouthDakota

2018 WK 

We get lots of snow here in the midwest, and we use Snow mode routinely. In addition to the "starting in 2nd gear" thing, it also locks out 8th gear.

Auto mode, in my view, is basically an advanced AWD system. Snow mode, mud mode, etc. changes the programming around the 4x4 and transmission to assist in those situations better than Auto mode, and be more of a 4x4 system rather than AWD.

Just my personal opinion on how it seems to work for me.

-Jason

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury & Active Safety Groups, Rock Rails

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Protection & Convenience Groups, 3.92 Gears, Anti-Spin Rear End, RamBox System
post #9 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 11:39 AM
GPSBob
2015 WK 

Selecting the different modes may change other settings as well. For example, when you select Snow mode, the headlights turn on. (That's the only one I know for sure.)
post #10 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 01:57 PM
bjv400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvinorum View Post
There is no need to also go to the 4WD-LO which is another button I have?

You only need low range when you really need it, if that makes sense. Basically if you are trying to climb something very steep and the engine doesn't have enough torque to pull you up, you go to low range and that gives the engine a lower gear to work through. You would not routinely use it but when you get to a situation where you can't go any further, then go to low range. Most trails you don't need it, even high on some of the trails in Colorado, but occasionally you reach something fairly steep.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-06-2020, 06:50 PM
PwnCall

Garage
also for snow mode it changes throttle response, I believe it makes you have to push the pedal further to get the same amount of acceleration you would otherwise to help reduce accidentally spinning the tires or accelerating too fast on ice/snow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-07-2020, 06:24 AM
Homer1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvinorum View Post
Thanks. I think I understand now. If it's snowy, I use snow but don't worry about anything else. If I'm on the beach, use sand. Mud, in the rare circumstance, ok. But I figure AUTO does all that anyway, but I'm guessing the mode forces whatever AUTO may do anyway to be on all the time.

So, putting on 4WD-LO or ROCK is identical? Use one or the other, the same thing happens to the JEEP, is my understanding.

I would like to learn about the downhill thing, so it prevents the Jeep from going too fast, it applies breaks automatically to some predetermined speed? Why would I use that on a steep hill down rather than 4WD-LO? Sorry if I still seem confused, just want to get it right for the summer when I may actually be in a situation like that. That being said, I never needed SNOW throughout the winter even in snow storms, AUTO was amazing, with my winter tires
On the beach, selecting "Sand" may not be enough, depending on, well, the sand--how coarse/fine, wet/dry. You'd be better lowering the tire pressure...even Jeeps official site recommends it: go here and scroll to "Sand" https://www.jeep.com/4x4.html

With snow, you eventually reach a paved road under the snow, allowing it to compact between the tire and the road. Sand goes down essentially forever!

2017 GC Trailhawk
2008 GC Limited
2014 Acura RDX
1997 GC Limited Beach Buggy (Deceased....RIP)
post #13 of 21 Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Salvinorum

2020 WK 

Thanks for all the replies, I re-read the manual and tried to understand it in-depth, coupled with all the facts and opinions from you guys, I think I got it now. I'll use AUTO unless really necessary, I see myself using SAND on beaches, maybe (I think AUTO will do a fine job, unless it's a really sandy beach that is loose, not wet), and definitely SNOW next year, I'll try to keep my Jeep away from ROCK and MUD completely, the setting and the material both, lol.

The downhill assist thing, that must be for serious downhill only I'm guessing, like going offroad, but it's good to have it!
post #14 of 21 Old 04-08-2020, 10:22 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah the downhill and select speed is for crawling a couple mile an hour up/down steep off road trails.

post #15 of 21 Old 04-08-2020, 07:04 PM
SouthDakota

2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1 View Post
With snow, you eventually reach a paved road under the snow...
You clearly have not been in snow in the midwest or further north!

Kidding. You are correct, snow can vary in depth, or be plowed/moved. Sand, quite frequently, just keeps going and going.

-Jason

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Luxury & Active Safety Groups, Rock Rails

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn CC 4x4
5.7L Hemi V8, Protection & Convenience Groups, 3.92 Gears, Anti-Spin Rear End, RamBox System

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in