QL Leveling/Lift Options - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-16-2016, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
LostChord

QL Leveling/Lift Options

Hello all - first time poster. Have been reading up on the WK2s as we're seriously considering one for my wife. She has been in 3 different suburbans for nearly 20 years and now that we're past that stage, she's ready to be in something smaller and the GC is currently at the top of the list.

Can someone explain (or point me to threads that explain) what options are available for leveling and/or lifting a WK2 with QL. I have searched, but so far found that kits like RRO do not work with QL. (The two GCs we have our eyes on both have QL.)

Leveling and/or lifting the Jeep is not a deal breaker one way or the other, just trying to understand as much as I can before we pull the trigger on a particular model.

Many thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-16-2016, 09:41 PM
carleycr
2014 WK 

For leveling QL you can either replace the small links in the front or rear, depending which direction you want to level. Raise the front, or lower the rear. There are some posts on this forum discussing this. The other, more expensive, option is a small module called Llams kit. Google it. Should be first link. It runs around $350. Comes from a down unda! You can email the guy that makes them from the website for more details. Not sure if they'll work for 2017, but do work for 2016. Good luck on the hunt.

2016 JGC Overland EcoDiesel - Loaded

Slow transition to black on white theme
post #3 of 16 Old 08-16-2016, 10:39 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Yeah, the only way to lift the QL is to trick it via its height sensing either via adjustable links or the Liams box which simulates the hight sensors. Basically the QL control is integrated with traction control and PCM modules and no one has figured out how to hack it without fault codes. The amount of safe and practical adjustments is relatively small, but certainly enough to level, if you like that look. Lifting in this manner will make the ride stiff, perhaps uncomfortable. I don't know of anyone making spacer kits for QL air bags.

If you try to make significant adjustments, you could easily burn out the compressor as the system tries to fight through the bump stops. There are certainly female gear heads that would understand, but I wouldn't trust my spouse with it if set to more than a half inch or so. These adjustment devices work much better lowering than lifting.

If you want full time lift, its best to start with a steel sprung model. At least a couple here have replaced the steel springs with air springs and added a compressor and controller that provides a significant amount of problem free adjustment capability.... if you want to go that route. A characteristic you should consider, these "airbag" type adjustable suspensions change ride height by stiffening the spring rate, so in the lifted position it will ride rough. These are really useful in the lowering application, however.

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

post #4 of 16 Old 08-17-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter
LostChord

Thank you both! Generally, I gathered that it was not a straightforward approach, but thought I'd check here the experts. Thanks again!

On with the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 Old 08-17-2016, 11:01 AM
The GrooGrux King
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunately, there is not a way to properly life the WK2 with QL. When purchasing our WK2 last year, we ended up ordering a Limited with the Overland interior options so we could have non-QL.

Here's a pic with the 2.5" RRO and SpiderTrax 1.75" wheel spacers on 33x12.50x20s.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
LostChord

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-TJ View Post
Unfortunately, there is not a way to properly life the WK2 with QL. When purchasing our WK2 last year, we ended up ordering a Limited with the Overland interior options so we could have non-QL.

Here's a pic with the 2.5" RRO and SpiderTrax 1.75" wheel spacers on 33x12.50x20s.

Wow! - that looks great!

The GrooGrux King likes this.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-17-2016, 02:24 PM
The GrooGrux King
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Wow! - that looks great!

Thanks man!

post #8 of 16 Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 PM
Billscarnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-TJ View Post
^ Pretty much this.

It seems like Jeep is really pushing QL on models with QTII or higher (QD) or any "off-roading" capability.

2015 GC | Lux II | Trailer Tow Group | ORAI | Uconnect 8.4N
post #9 of 16 Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

Jeep's premise is that QL provides the most flexibility for the "majority" of buyers. It's not ideal, however, for folks who want to do things like lifted builds, etc.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
2016 Subaru Outback Limited
2011 Subaru Outback Limited
post #10 of 16 Old 08-18-2016, 10:08 PM
2001WJv8
2015 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_in_PA View Post
Jeep's premise is that QL provides the most flexibility for the "majority" of buyers. It's not ideal, however, for folks who want to do things like lifted builds, etc.
that's exactly why i bought QL - i put it places most wrangler owners never bother to go, but in reality the vast majority of miles are interstate, so having a vehicle that lowers for mpg's, or raises for offroad, by the push of a button is perfect.

i like the way they look lifted, but I love the way they drive stock ... took me over 2 decades to decide which one was better
jeradyjerin likes this.

'15 WK2 Diesel 4x4 ORII, Nitto TG2 275/65r18, BORA 1"f/1.25"r spacers, RRO super sliders
post #11 of 16 Old 08-19-2016, 05:04 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

I love my QL for the same reasons, 2001', but I'm also loving it lowered about an inch with alternative sensor links because of some physical issues I've developed. It makes getting in and out a lot easier for me...in Park level, it seems lower than my better-half's Outback for "step-in".

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
post #12 of 16 Old 08-19-2016, 06:30 PM
2001WJv8
2015 WK 

Garage
i hear you, my mom has major back issues among other things - she loves her suby forester for the reason that she can just turn and sit down. Like I said, love the wk2's lifted - totally badass - but i'm finally at a point where comfort > coolness I guess. not a fan of the banging noises in orII max height, but once you realize you aren't destroying your jeep, all is good again - and damn if it can't get over some good stuff in that setting. I took it about a month after I got it on a trail that I wouldn't have taken my wj at 4" (terfaflex s4w lift) or even the cj7 (mostly b/c I wasn't sure what would break ... but it could've made it) . anyway, wk2, no damage at all - didn't even scrape my RR's and that was a big surprise.

again, I'm not talking crazy rock crawling JK stuff - but way beyond what most of these or wranglers will ever see. i think it's a pretty cool system so far, and the ride on the superslab at 90mph is astounding. that is why I love the QL. maybe I'll get a JK someday for my replacement lifted/badass rig (yeah, I probably will...)

'15 WK2 Diesel 4x4 ORII, Nitto TG2 275/65r18, BORA 1"f/1.25"r spacers, RRO super sliders
post #13 of 16 Old 08-19-2016, 07:38 PM
jim_in_PA
2012 WK 

The best way to leverage the OR-II height off-road is to stay in OR-I unless and until you need to clear an obstacle that requires that extra inch or so to negotiate. There's no way to get around the fact that there's almost no suspension travel left at that height and even at the >25mph speed restriction, things can get uncomfortable when you hit a bump. Nature of the beast. Since the suspension is adjustable on the fly, one can use that to alleviate hitting the stops a good part of the time.

2012 JGC Summit Hemi
post #14 of 16 Old 08-20-2016, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
LostChord

Thanks guys - appreciate all the different perspectives. Good stuff!

post #15 of 16 Old 08-20-2016, 02:04 PM
2001WJv8
2015 WK 

Garage
anytime - basically if you want to lift it (or might want to someday), stay with a steel sprung jeep

if you don't want to lift it, but want to off road yet maintain a high quality ride then I'd definitely suggest quadralift.

or if money is no object ... see thread re: white rhino holy xxxx that is a badxxx jeep!
Z-Thad likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in