PSA: 12' Overland Summit Wheels are Junk - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 45 Old 04-18-2016, 03:53 PM
hearld5000
2011 WK 

I'm having the exact same issue on my Summit. I contacted JeepCares and was instructed to bring it to the local dealership for review. The guy I spoke with was extremely disinterested and said it was caused by a tire mounting machine which is just crazy. JeepCares said they couldn't do anything after this analysis.

I took it back a few months later and had the service manager look at it and he confirmed it was without a doubt corrosion and put in a ticket only to have replacement denied as it wasn't covered by the corrosion warranty (even though I'm still under this). I messaged JeepCares about the service manger confirming this was indeed corrosion and I've received no response.

I've been a loyal Jeep owner since I could start driving, this was my third Jeep and will likely be my last. Jeep evidently doesn't stand behind their products. This type of corrosion on a five year old (still under warranty) vehicle is absolutely inexcusable, especially on their top of the line product.

See my post at https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...ssues-3634394/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 45 Old 04-18-2016, 04:33 PM
hearld5000
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchco View Post
welcome to Mag chloride.... or Calcium chloride.

washing my vehicles frequently has prevented these problems...

Both chemicals are highly corrosive to metals and other substances.

results of mag chloride:
I don't accept that.

Manufacturers know the environments vehicles will be driven in. I don't have corrosion on any of my other vehicles despite being driven in the exact same environment, nor do I know anyone else that has had this issue. These are not ten plus year old vehicles.

Remarkably, there is no noticeable corrosion anywhere else on the vehicle outside the wheels and a few rock chips on my fog light bezels. This is a manufacturing or quality defect. Period.
post #18 of 45 Old 04-18-2016, 06:54 PM
RFletcher
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hearld5000
I'm having the exact same issue on my Summit. I contacted JeepCares and was instructed to bring it to the local dealership for review. The guy I spoke with was extremely disinterested and said it was caused by a tire mounting machine which is just crazy. JeepCares said they couldn't do anything after this analysis. I took it back a few months later and had the service manager look at it and he confirmed it was without a doubt corrosion and put in a ticket only to have replacement denied as it wasn't covered by the corrosion warranty (even though I'm still under this). I messaged JeepCares about the service manger confirming this was indeed corrosion and I've received no response. I've been a loyal Jeep owner since I could start driving, this was my third Jeep and will likely be my last. Jeep evidently doesn't stand behind their products. This type of corrosion on a five year old (still under warranty) vehicle is absolutely inexcusable, especially on their top of the line product. See my post at https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/...ssues-3634394/
Are you going to continue the fight?

post #19 of 45 Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
bb1248

Quote:
Originally Posted by hearld5000 View Post
I'm having the exact same issue on my Summit. I contacted JeepCares and was instructed to bring it to the local dealership for review. The guy I spoke with was extremely disinterested and said it was caused by a tire mounting machine which is just crazy. JeepCares said they couldn't do anything after this analysis.

I took it back a few months later and had the service manager look at it and he confirmed it was without a doubt corrosion and put in a ticket only to have replacement denied as it wasn't covered by the corrosion warranty (even though I'm still under this). I messaged JeepCares about the service manger confirming this was indeed corrosion and I've received no response.

I've been a loyal Jeep owner since I could start driving, this was my third Jeep and will likely be my last. Jeep evidently doesn't stand behind their products. This type of corrosion on a five year old (still under warranty) vehicle is absolutely inexcusable, especially on their top of the line product.
Hearld

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a moment of optimism when coldcase said FCA has been replacing these under warranty, since I'm still under warranty. The results you've gotten from your dealer are honestly what I expect to happen in my case.

I had sent JeepCares a PM a few days ago and have not gotten a response so far. Perhaps I never will.

Keep us updated if you continue to pursue this.

2004 WJ - 4.7 Laredo
2012 WK2 - 5.7 Overland Summit
post #20 of 45 Old 04-19-2016, 01:49 PM
hearld5000
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFletcher View Post
Are you going to continue the fight?
I'm feeling a bit renewed after seeing I'm clearly not the only one having this issue. There are a few other posts for Summit wheels with the same issue, regular Overland wheels evidently don't have the issue.

I'm planning on filing with the Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports this weekend. I would encourage everyone to do the same.
I have a handful of old colleagues in the national news industry as well so may speak with them if I get the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1248 View Post
Hearld

I'm sorry to hear this. I had a moment of optimism when coldcase said FCA has been replacing these under warranty, since I'm still under warranty. The results you've gotten from your dealer are honestly what I expect to happen in my case.

I had sent JeepCares a PM a few days ago and have not gotten a response so far. Perhaps I never will.

Keep us updated if you continue to pursue this.
Well thats the kicker, some people have been reportedly been successful in getting replacements but the warranty process has been completely inconsistent and apparently arbitrary even though its the same material defect.
post #21 of 45 Old 04-19-2016, 02:13 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Quote:
regular Overland wheels evidently don't have the issue.
There were quite a few reports of overland wheels corroding around the center cap 2012-2014 time frame. Many drilled weep holes thinking water was getting behind the caps.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #22 of 45 Old 04-20-2016, 02:52 AM
Monarchco
2012 WK 

Quote:
I don't accept that.

Manufacturers know the environments vehicles will be driven in. I don't have corrosion on any of my other vehicles despite being driven in the exact same environment, nor do I know anyone else that has had this issue. These are not ten plus year old vehicles.

Remarkably, there is no noticeable corrosion anywhere else on the vehicle outside the wheels and a few rock chips on my fog light bezels. This is a manufacturing or quality defect. Period.
iirc Montana doesn't use mag chloride. Colorado rarely uses it(I've only seen them us it on i-70 and whatever the military access road(it's either 24 or 50, and because of being an access road, it can not be closed under any conditions regardless of severity), and Alaska simply doesn't.

It boils down to owner care 90% of the time. my old expedition still has shiny chrome wheels, and it's been on A/T tires it's whole life, never switched for winter.

I honestly tried to find a newer picture, but couldn't. If you drive around in Minnesota during the winter(heavy mag chloride use), you'll see what I'm talking about, and not isolated along the wheels, but eating along the full length of the rocker panel.

The damage is visible after just a single winter on brand new cars if they aren't maintained properly, especially if the owner never uses wax.

Ultimately, any chloride is going to eat away at metals, mag chloride is just way more noticeable and a threat since it's sprayed on as a liquid, instead of being a solid(sodium chloride).

The primary choice, is that sodium chloride lowers the freezing temp to -6 degree F, and is cheaper(it de-ices). Mag Chloride(which can also anti-ice besides de-ice. It's also beneficial to snow plows) is good to a significantly lower temp, and is the choice product in lower temperature climates(that care that is. Fairbanks hits -40 easily, but they just don't care about clearing the road. Not like Anchorage is any example as the municipality clearly has no idea how to actually clear the roads).
996novice likes this.
post #23 of 45 Old 04-23-2016, 05:55 PM
hearld5000
2011 WK 

Well, so another update.
Yesterday I received a call from JeepCares, FCA will be replacing the wheels on my Summit after reviewing the report entered by the service manager. This is a massive relief. They've secured the loyalty of another long-time Jeep owner. I'll likely be purchasing a new Jeep again after all in the future.
post #24 of 45 Old 04-24-2016, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
bb1248

Quote:
Well, so another update.
Yesterday I received a call from JeepCares, FCA will be replacing the wheels on my Summit after reviewing the report entered by the service manager. This is a massive relief. They've secured the loyalty of another long-time Jeep owner. I'll likely be purchasing a new Jeep again after all in the future.
That's great news! I have yet to get a response from JeepCares

2004 WJ - 4.7 Laredo
post #25 of 45 Old 04-24-2016, 09:46 AM
RFletcher
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Well, so another update.
I'll be contacting JeepCares shortly to see what can be done, hope for the same outcome.
post #26 of 45 Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 AM
peckmv

I had this happen on my '12 Overland. The wheels were replaced under the 3/36 warranty. The problem is the wheel design. There are 5 cavities that have no weep holes for water to get out. The road salt solution just sits in this cavity and eventually corrodes thru the center hub opening behind the center cap. After they replaced all my wheels I removed them and ground channels for the water to get out. I then coated the back surface of the wheel with never-seize. This was done 40k miles ago and I still have zero corrosion. If you get new wheels then you might want to do the same or the corrosion will just happen again.
post #27 of 45 Old 04-25-2016, 02:31 PM
ramsig226
2011 FSJ Cherokee 

The problem with all the 2011-2013 rims is that there is no drainage holes for the hub area in the wheel. The picture of the clean hub is from my 2014 limited after 2 Chicago winters. The rusty hub is from my wife's 2013 overland after 3 Chicago winters. Stark difference! My 2014 wheels are literally perfect. My wife's 2013 wheels are starting to corrode and bubble. If they don't replace you wheels with the drain holes you will probably end with the same problem.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
BigTizzie likes this.
post #28 of 45 Old 04-25-2016, 07:26 PM
hearld5000
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1248 View Post
That's great news! I have yet to get a response from JeepCares
Best of luck, check in every week until you hear at least a yes/no. Worth a try anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsig226 View Post
The problem with all the 2011-2013 rims is that there is no drainage holes for the hub area in the wheel. The picture of the clean hub is from my 2014 limited after 2 Chicago winters. The rusty hub is from my wife's 2013 overland after 3 Chicago winters. Stark difference! My 2014 wheels are literally perfect. My wife's 2013 wheels are starting to corrode and bubble. If they don't replace you wheels with the drain holes you will probably end with the same problem.

Attachment 2837593

Attachment 2837633

Attachment 2837641

Attachment 2837649
Very, very interesting. I've never recognized what that structure designed for. Amazing steel will rust that quickly, I wouldn't have expected that outside a 15+ year vehicle. Is it a material issue?
post #29 of 45 Old 04-26-2016, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
bb1248

Just a quick update on the progression of my worst wheel. The damage has made its way to the edge of the wheel now and large pieces of clear coat have flaked off.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0340.jpg  

2004 WJ - 4.7 Laredo
post #30 of 45 Old 04-26-2016, 10:39 AM
ramsig226
2011 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Best of luck, check in every week until you hear at least a yes/no. Worth a try anyway.

Very, very interesting. I've never recognized what that structure designed for. Amazing steel will rust that quickly, I wouldn't have expected that outside a 15+ year vehicle. Is it a material issue?
I was surprised to see it also. When I pulled the wheels off the 2013 there was a rusty colored sludge like substance in the hub area of the wheel. It had nowhere to go without the drain holes. The hubs didn't stand a chance of not rusting. Also, my wife takes her Jeep to the car wash every week or so. Even in the winter.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in