Preferred Roof Top Tent? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-21-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Smooremin

2014 WK 

Preferred Roof Top Tent?

Thinking about getting one, anyone have any experience? I am leaning towards something that is a hard shell, but am open to hear everyone's thoughts.

2014 WK2 5.7 Overland 275/65-18 Duratracs
2019 Audi A6
2018 Audi R8
1988 VW 16v Scirocco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-22-2019, 11:44 AM
Mevans010

For my needs the iKamper you have pictures will be my go to at this point. Fast setup, room for two plus kiddo, and fairly aerodynamic. It will really come down to cost and needs. LOTS of good options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

double post

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto

Last edited by Ross; 10-22-2019 at 12:01 PM. Reason: double post

post #4 of 6 Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 PM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
Thinking about getting one, anyone have any experience? I am leaning towards something that is a hard shell, but am open to hear everyone's thoughts.

My experience is watching others deal with them.

They take longer to set up than other tents. More expensive than other tents, smaller than other tents (but takes 20Xs the space to pack and 10X or more the weight). Your vehicle is stuck at camp once they are set up and they are always beating them on low hanging branches. And they make your vehicle top heavy.

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
post #5 of 6 Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
oddly perhaps i know of NO jeepers in real life that use these? might be the type of jeepers i run with or maybe the places we go. We do long trails every year. My tent is made for 4 and its weight like 7 pounds . its up in minutes and down as fast. Plus when not needed its not on the jeep, its with my camping gear in the garage. ME i cant see getting up and down from that in the middle of night. seems like more a pain then what ever is gained. I would tow a trailer before i used one of those my self. but then again i can pack a 2 door for 7 days for two people and two large dogs. have more then enough room.
Dusy

Rubicon

Rubicon
Ross likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Bilko

You may want to consider renting one before you buy to make sure it really what you want, some companies like Tepui will knock the price of the rental off if you buy.

These roof top tents seem to be an SUV fashion accessory around San Francisco however I rarely see them in on the trails or campgrounds. There are few issues you need to take into account;

- You really notice the additional weight and wind noise of having this on your roof for regular driving, this may be OK if you take it off after every trip but a PIA if you plan to leave it on your roof between trips.

- If you park you car in your garage you need to check clearances

- Once you have set up your camp and realize you need to drive into town for supplies you have to pack everything up.

- If you want to be comfortable you need a perfectly level parking space

- The hardshell options are more durable especially if you plan to leave it mounted on your roof, the downside is they are typically smaller or specifically shorter, this means anybody over 5'8" is going to have their pillow pushing on the sidewalls

iKampers are really expensive have you looked at https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-27.../dp/B00KCFKPX0 Theses have longer beds and you would be saving yourself $3,000. If you look at the design, it looks like these come out of the same Far East sweatshop as the https://tepui.com/ but are much cheaper.

If you want one look at Craigslist you can find some good deals towards the end of the camping season. The week after Burning Man is the best time to buy in CA or NV

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in