Power Mirror issue on Overland - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-11-2020, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Power Mirror issue on Overland

My wife's WK2 Overland has been great. Just short of 100k and it runs like a top.

I have some time off work and want to do two things while I have the time.

1st. it's due for spark plugs. I've read it's a pain, but I'm going to try it. Better than paying the 6-$700 the dealer wants.

2. Her driver side mirror is having issues power folding in. It folds fine inwards towards the glass, but as soon as you try to fold it outwards, it goes past where it should stop and full forwards. Typically there is a detent there for the mirror to stop, but it's not doing so. I've tried fussing with it in different positions, but can't seem to get it to line back up. It's either there is a certain process or it's broken. Can't find much for threads on the issue either. Looking for some assistance, before I have to open the door card up and take the mirror off.

1999 Taupe Ltd 4.7L, 156,xxx miles, 3" IRO Lift, Rubicon take-offs, Carolina Driveline driveshaft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-12-2020, 06:55 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There may be a calibration procedure. Don't have it handy, however.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 10 Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
There may be a calibration procedure. Don't have it handy, however.

Any idea on where I could find this then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1999 Taupe Ltd 4.7L, 156,xxx miles, 3" IRO Lift, Rubicon take-offs, Carolina Driveline driveshaft

post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2020, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Fixed. Pulled mirror into the door and then hit close mirror button. Worked fine after that. I tried all sorts of different combos including this one it seemed but alas it works now. Thanks!

post #5 of 10 Old 08-14-2020, 06:03 AM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC99 View Post
1st. it's due for spark plugs. I've read it's a pain, but I'm going to try it. Better than paying the 6-$700 the dealer wants.
Yup, it kinda sucks. Do the PCV valve while you have the intake plenum off, it makes that job considerably easier, and make sure you have one of these with a set of torx bits: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0062FSAVI/..._AZNnFbE0CDTDF

Passenger side plugs are very easy. Driver's side is under the plenum. Take your time with it, and make sure you don't over tighten the coil packs or plenum when putting them back on

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #6 of 10 Old 08-24-2020, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray203m View Post
Yup, it kinda sucks. Do the PCV valve while you have the intake plenum off, it makes that job considerably easier, and make sure you have one of these with a set of torx bits: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0062FSAVI/..._AZNnFbE0CDTDF

Passenger side plugs are very easy. Driver's side is under the plenum. Take your time with it, and make sure you don't over tighten the coil packs or plenum when putting them back on

Iíll have to look at the PCV valve while Iím at it I guess. Gaskets arenít here yet. Have to get torque specs for both. Figure WK2Jeeps has them?

Is that micro driver set needed for the narrow spaces or could a ratchet with a bit fit?

post #7 of 10 Old 08-24-2020, 11:21 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

What year is the WK as they redesigned the intake manifold in 2016. Early models spark plugs were hard on one side, then switched sides on later models, I think.

Anyway, some early model PVC valve discussions here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...valve-4395957/

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #8 of 10 Old 08-26-2020, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
JGC99
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCase View Post
What year is the WK as they redesigned the intake manifold in 2016. Early models spark plugs were hard on one side, then switched sides on later models, I think.

Anyway, some early model PVC valve discussions here:

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309...valve-4395957/

Thanks. This is a 2014 model. Iíll have to peer through that thread

post #9 of 10 Old 08-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Gray203m
2008 WK 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC99 View Post
I’ll have to look at the PCV valve while I’m at it I guess. Gaskets aren’t here yet. Have to get torque specs for both. Figure WK2Jeeps has them?

Is that micro driver set needed for the narrow spaces or could a ratchet with a bit fit?
I found the torque specs just doing a bit of googling. I apparently didn't bookmark the page though.

The micro driver is fairly necessary. The clearance is absolutely brutal. I'm not sure about you, but I do all the work on our riding mower, ATV, both Jeep, and 2 project vehicles. That micro driver actually gets pulled out fairly often

2008 WK CRD North
GDE Eco Tune, DPF Delete
2" RC lift, 265/65R18 Duratracs
post #10 of 10 Old 09-04-2020, 07:43 AM
a2t22

theres a bunch of youtubes on the pre 2016's. i just did the job on a 2016 so pax side had mani over it but yours will be similar. not too bad just follow the youtubes out there for pre 2016s amd esp how all the little connectors work (ie dont force any, they all have specific unclip procedures).

re mirror : just know that the gears in that mirror unit are plastic. Ram uses same drive units as JGC and they bust left and right. Cant buy parts for them, just entire new mirror assys' which is $$. GruvenParts makes metal gears for those units so you could dismantle the mirror assy and swap out the **** plastic main gear for a metal 1 (and replace the drive motor as original drive motor is externally grounded and will short out the BCM if you put in a metal drive gear). Look in RAM Trucks section of that site for the info.

Be super careful manually folding those, most break when you manual fold since it loads up the plastic gear and forces the clutch to twist under the heavy main spring. It sounds like yours just popped up on the clutch mechanism tho, so reseating it fixed it. But be very gentle with those mirrors, its all plastic gearing and very brittle. They typically die at the car wash when the guys grab them and fold in manually and snap the gear. Stupid that the gear is plastic in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in